IRS student loans

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Schweisshund, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I defaulted on my student loan many years ago and it was paid off via wage garnishment. Last year, the Department of Education withheld $4,243.91 from my income tax refund. I tried (to no avail) explaining that the student loan was already paid off. I am now getting the same exact letter stating that I owe $4,243.91

What do I need to do? This is irritating as ....

2. Schweisshund

I think someone in the IRS wants to raise my blood pressure to astronomical levels.

the student loan was paid off with interest through wage garnishment, and they withheld my refund last year and are still claiming I owe the same amount that was paid twice.

3. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Sad state of affairs, government can't keep basic records... You may need a lawyer.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  4. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

The IRS needs to die for this very reason

5. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

Several years ago we were told we owed $125, it took about a year and a half to get it paid, we'd send a check, they would send us a $125 refund due to overpayment. My company received a garnishment letter which went over well with HR and almost derailed a promotion.

The IRS is beyond fixable

6. 175FO

175FO Member

I would send them a letter back explaining the situation with documentation if you have it. A couple years ago I got an IRS letter that said I owed something like $20,000 in unpaid capital gains tax. They were actually right that I had not paid the correct amount, but the way the calculated the tax I owed assumed that I purchased the stocks for $0. I wrote them a letter and attached the documents and a few months later they replied with the corrected statement.

7. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Charge them all the same fines and fees they charge. Oh wait, it only works for one side.

8. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

This is one organization that just needs to stop existing

9. Schweisshund

Exactly what an attorney told me to do. They actually owe me my income tax refund that was withheld for the amount I paid off years ago.

10. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

They audited me for business mileage 4 years back. I sent them my daily spreadsheet for the year.

No reply just another bill saying nothing changed.

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Tech writers from Tampa have big student loan debts.

12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    GordonMiller

Male, 27, from USA, CA

He moved to CA. Hey, Gordo, I'd be ashamed to use my picture for an avatar if I looked like you. You should ask your mom for a refund. TROLL.