Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
69,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the IRS says, you owe us X, because you did not file a certain form, and you have 90 days to file an appeal in tax court, and you just realized you missed the deadline to file in tax court, can you amend your tax return to file the appropriate form showing that you do not owe the tax, or are you just screwed?

·
يفخر الكافر
3,938 Posts
I've found that just about any time the IRS sends you a formal letter claiming you owe X number of dollars, you're screwed to begin with. However, in this case, I think you'd be taking a step in the right direction by contacting the IRS - or a tax professional - personally to seek the answer.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Kind of like where you go to court without a lawyer, with the IRS have a CPA that can argue the finer points and knows the tax code like a lawyer knows legal procedure.

I had a tax issue a few years ago, started using an accountant and the IRS sent a nasty gram demanding additional money. The tax accountant wrote a response, explained how we did in fact adhere to procedure and the IRS dropped it like a scalding rock.

If you have a CPA get them involved. If you don't have a CPA, get one. I think they're worth their weight in gold when you need them. In my case, I continue to use the same firm (10 years now) and it's a far lesser weight on my mind to rely upon them for the heavy weight. I still have to do the documentation, but they track the critical details and run interference.

·
Super Moderator
69,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is about a $4,000 issue, but they are dead wrong. It is not owed. This is not a grey area of any kind. It is black and white, and the tax is not owed.

They ignored my letters and documents and explanations and just kept re-sending letters stating that they wanted $X and if I disagreed to send them a written explanation - like they never read the explanation.

:x

Anyway, I am seriously doubting it would be cheaper to hire a CPA or lawyer than to simply pay the $4k. BUT I DO NOT WANT TO PAY WHAT I DO NOT OWE.

Bureacratic incompetence.

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts
I thought you could amend your return for certain reasons (mostly to correct inaccuracies) for three years. If you can properly file an amended return, you might have a workaround. If that doesn't work out, start getting quotes from CPAs and tax lawyers.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
"...Romulan warbird has de-cloaked off the port bow..."

Malum Prohibitum said:
They ignored my letters and documents and explanations and just kept re-sending letters stating that they wanted $X and if I disagreed to send them a written explanation - like they never read the explanation.
"...they've got us locked in a tractor beam..."

Montieth said:
The tax accountant wrote a response...
"...ready one photon torpedo..."

Montieth said:
...explained how we did in fact adhere to procedure...
"...fire! ..."

Montieth said:
...and the IRS dropped it like a scalding rock.
"...tractor beam dis-engaged... warbird is veering off..."

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,424 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Anyway, I am seriously doubting it would be cheaper to hire a CPA or lawyer than to simply pay the $4k. BUT I DO NOT WANT TO PAY WHAT I DO NOT OWE.

Bureacratic incompetence.
This other thread is coming to mind . . .

your guilt or innocence of any [s:2qq8zhd6]crime[/s:2qq8zhd6] violation matters nothing once the decision is made to [s:2qq8zhd6]slap on the cuffs[/s:2qq8zhd6] send that letter. You will incur these expenses even if innocent.
It sure stinks getting caught up in the eddies and whirlpools of life. Why can't everything be open sailing on the bright blue ocean? :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
This is about a $4,000 issue, but they are dead wrong. It is not owed. This is not a grey area of any kind. It is black and white, and the tax is not owed.

I sold some stock one year and forgot to put it on my 1040. They caught it 3 years later and sent me letters demanding a huge amount of money (in fairness, they did not know what I paid for the stock only what I sold it for, so they assumed 100% taxable profit). They ignored my amended 1040 and letters of explanation that there was no profit -- I LOST money -- so I owed no taxes.

After the third letter asking for huge dollars, I called their customer service line. The guy I spoke with fixed the problem in about 15 minutes and sent me a "problem resolved" letter for my files.

It's one situation where sending documentation was worse than explaining to a person.

·
Junior Butt Warmer
46,427 Posts
Rugerer said:
your guilt or innocence of any [s:1qkojv4k]crime[/s:1qkojv4k] violation matters nothing once the decision is made to [s:1qkojv4k]slap on the cuffs[/s:1qkojv4k] send that letter. You will incur these expenses even if innocent.
"...you will respect... my... authoritah..."

·
Registered
15,984 Posts
The IRS owned me a lot of money from a couple years ago. It took multiple calls and letters with documentation, and several months but they finally sent me the check.

They also taxed the interest they had to pay on it and I had to put that on this year's taxes. :?

·
Romans 10:13
4,671 Posts
Forward shields are down to 40%.......

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
RickN said:
Malum Prohibitum said:

I sold some stock one year and forgot to put it on my 1040. They caught it 3 years later and sent me letters demanding a huge amount of money (in fairness, they did not know what I paid for the stock only what I sold it for, so they assumed 100% taxable profit). They ignored my amended 1040 and letters of explanation that there was no profit -- I LOST money -- so I owed no taxes.

After the third letter asking for huge dollars, I called their customer service line. The guy I spoke with fixed the problem in about 15 minutes and sent me a "problem resolved" letter for my files.

It's one situation where sending documentation was worse than explaining to a person.
Holy crap this is exactly what I'm going through now lol. I invested 5k in stock. bought and sold and eventually pulled it all out. I made a profit of $16 lol. The Irs sent me a letter saying I owe them $2340 from that

·
Registered
308 Posts
atlsrt44 said:
RickN said:
Malum Prohibitum said:

Holy crap this is exactly what I'm going through now lol. I invested 5k in stock. bought and sold and eventually pulled it all out. I made a profit of $16 lol. The Irs sent me a letter saying I owe them $2340 from that
It eventually got straightened out, once they understood that my cost basis for the stock was not $0.

A friend of mine didn't pay taxes on an early 401k withdrawal and got an IRS notice. He ignored the letter -- went all head-in-the-sand for months and months about the problem -- until they took his house. You have to ignore a lot of letters and summonses and notices before the guys with guns show up to evict you. 60 years old and living in a friend's spare bedroom because he refused to deal with the problem.

When I got my respond-in-60-days letter on Day 1, my response went back on Day 2.

·
Super Moderator
69,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, my issue is taking out money from a Roth IRA that was less than my contribution amount, which is not taxable, but I did not file the Form 8606 with my tax return, so they want to tax it all, plus penalties.

They send a letter, Hey we think you owe X. If you disagree, then please explain why and attach all documentation.

I explain why and attach all documentation. They acknowledge receipt.

Then they send a letter, Hey we think you owe X. If you disagree, then please explain why and attach all documentation.

:shock:

:sly:

Ok, so I explain it all again and attach documentation

Then they send a third letter, Hey we think you owe X. If you disagree, then please explain why and attach all documentation.

:lol: At this point I realize I am not dealing with intelligent life forms . . .

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Well, my issue is taking out money from a Roth IRA that was less than my contribution amount, which is not taxable, but I did not file the Form 8606 with my tax return, so they want to tax it all, plus penalties.

They send a letter, Hey we think you owe X. If you disagree, then please explain why and attach all documentation.

I explain why and attach all documentation. They acknowledge receipt.

Then they send a letter, Hey we think you owe X. If you disagree, then please explain why and attach all documentation.

:shock:

:sly:

Ok, so I explain it all again and attach documentation

Then they send a third letter, Hey we think you owe X. If you disagree, then please explain why and attach all documentation.

:lol: At this point I realize I am not dealing with intelligent life forms . . .
And yet you keep doing the exact same thing over and over again hoping for different results. :p

·
Professional Troll
2,174 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
"...Romulan warbird has de-cloaked off the port bow..."

Malum Prohibitum said:
"...they've got us locked in a tractor beam..."

Montieth said:
The tax accountant wrote a response...
"...ready one photon torpedo..."

Montieth said:
...explained how we did in fact adhere to procedure...
"...fire! ..."

Montieth said:
...and the IRS dropped it like a scalding rock.
"...tractor beam dis-engaged... warbird is veering off..."
:pointlol:

What? No youtube video this time?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts