Intruders splash acid on victims during home invasion

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Sharky, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Intruders splash acid on victims during home invasion

By MIKE MORRIS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/10/07

Atlanta police are investigating a home invasion Wednesday in which acid was thrown on the victims.

Officers responding to an apartment complex in the 3300 block of Fairburn Road in northwest Atlanta about 7 a.m. found the door to a unit kicked in, Atlanta police spokesman Eric Schwartz said.

28-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman inside the apartment "both had some sort of acid dumped on them," Schwartz said. The man had also been hit in the head with an unknown object, he said.

Both victims were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, where they were listed in stable condition. Their names were not immediately available.

Schwartz said investigators weren't sure how many suspects broke into the apartment, or whether anything was taken.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Acid does not a firearm make, so to Off Topic I whisked this thread.

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

hurm. If these guys ever break into my home, not only will their bodies be covered in their own acid, but I have some nitric I've been itching to use.

5. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

What molar and how are you storing it?

:ninja:

6. budder

I think it's 8M, but I'm not at home now so I can't check. And I'm storing it in the container it came in. Wouldn't want it eating through my stuff.

7. adcurt

adcurt New Member

These "home invasions" - do they normally occur in low-income areas?

It seems like many (most? all?) are somehow linked back to some drug-related disagreement like, "hey, I want my money for those drugs" or "Hey, I heard you got some drugs in recently and I'd like to invade you like a Viking to get some...".

Does anyone know any stats or general info on home invasions in GA? Like the typical victim race, age group, income, etc...

I pity the fool who would crash my door. My apartment is a kill zone - only one way in and out and no windows. How scary do I sound? Anyone wanna see my collection of human heads?

Joking (obviously)...

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, there was that high profile one recently in another state where they followed the woman home because she had a nice car . . .

9. adcurt

adcurt New Member

Good example, but stories like that make the news. I'm curious (I should just go to the GBI site, but I'm feeling lazy) what the actual trend is; not what the news flash is. You know?

10. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Thinking about home invasions brings a few basic security thoughts to mind, at least for homeowners. Apartment dwellers would have to figure out what they could do. I have good quality storm doors (with good locks on them, not the cheap crap) with shatter proof glass installed on both exterior doors (front porch and back porch) in addition to good quality deadbolts on all doors. Of course, I realize these could all be breached without much effort if the perp really wants in. My goal in these products is to at least slow them down to the point I (or most likely my dog) would hear them coming, thus giving me just enough time to react appropriately. I installed those runway type landscape lights along the entry points as well as motion activated floodlights.

I still think the best advantage I have is a dog with really good hearing. He alerts to any sound which is out of the norm, even the slightest ones, even in the dead of night. I love that dog.

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Truth is they happen everywhere. They may be more likely in a high crime area but I am not sure that is true.

I have met the victims of hot burglaries, which is what a "home invasion" is, and I don't have the impression that they are all drug dealers. I suspect that is a fantasy we would like to believe so we can feel "safe".

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea. I don't like living in an apartment. It's annoying having stupid rules and being in a close-quarter community. It's decent and could always be worse, I suppose.

13. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I hate my apartment living. Looking forward to having a home. My way of doing things........ Gun is never more than 3 feet away from me....

14. merlock

merlock Active Member

I agree. While my Shih-Tzu's would most likely lick the intruder to death, :roll: they *do* alert on all noise, which gives me a bit of an advantage-every little bit helps. :)

15. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Those little pups are LOUD!

They sound like five times the dogs they are!

16. VolGrad

All about business......or at least gives that appearance. LOL. Here he is "on guard" of his human "sister". 90+ lbs and scares the crap out of all strangers.

[​IMG]

17. merlock

merlock Active Member

You got a saddle for the little one? :)

18. VolGrad

Believe me, she has tried. He's a real trooper.

19. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Good choice in dogs Volgrad. I'm sure you learned not to have a Bulldog protect your house - especially after how they did at home last year when a bunch of guys in white/orange came to town. :wink:

20. budder

I'm surprised your daughter doesn't just scare them away! She looks to have a real bad case of rabies. You know there's a vaccine for that, right?