internet options

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by legacy38, Jul 30, 2007.

1. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I am in the process of switching from Dish Network and Bellsouth DSL to cable internet and TV. We'll be turning off our landline phone once the cable is up and running. The only drawback to this is that I always had backup dialup internet when the DSL was down or we were traveling. For some reason I always seem to have trouble getting my computer to work on hotel networks; so, I would always find the local access number for wherever I was going and setup my computer to use it if I had any trouble.

Any suggestions for backup options when on the road. Net Zero used to offer free dial up. Do they still do so?

2. M249

M249 New Member

NetZero is no longer free.

Do cable companies not offer dial backup?

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Comcast. When we moved here Adelphia had the cable franchise, and just as we were closing on the house the top three execs at Adelphia were indicted for fraud; so, I shied away and went with Dish network for DV.

Last year I got very mad at Cingular in a dispute over a cell phone and promised them that I would dump Dish, Cingular, and BellSouth home phone service as soon as possible. I have already switched to Verizon and have much better service and coverage. Now that Comcast has taken over the cable franchise I'm completing the rest of my promise.

The added bonus is that I can now get the CSS channel, which will carry three VSU football games this season.

5. Corbomite

Corbomite New Member

With the growing number of wifi spots is there a chance you could do that?

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

That would work while out and about, but I want to make sure I can get online from a motel room.

7. Corbomite

Corbomite New Member

I see a lot of them advertise free hi speed connections in rooms now. I'm sure if you were in BFE you may be out of luck though.

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Please refer to my original post. For some reason I almost always have problems getting onto hotel networks.

9. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I use my mobile phone (Treo 700p) as my "away from home" data connection.

As long as I'm in Sprint's coverage area, I'm good to go.

If I'm in the boonies, I guess I'm either screwed, or don't really need to get online that badly. 8)

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I wish that I had spent the money on something like that when I changed over to Verizon, but I was having to buy two phones, and it is still a year until I can upgrade. I may buy one online and have it activated.

11. M249

M249 New Member

The VZW option is great if you're already paying for data. For example, us poor souls who are shackled with Blackberries can pay an extra fee and use 'em as wireless modems... of course, that extra fee is in addition to the $50/mo that we pay for unlimited data.

I love VZWs coverage, but that's about it ;)

I've had hassles using hotel connections as well. On wired connections, sometimes you have to manually set the data rate on your ethernet card. Just don't forget to set it back to auto-negotiate when you leave. :)

12. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Legacy,

As far as "free" options, wifi is about it as far as I know.

Personally, I'd rather have a sharp stick in the eye before having to go back to dial-up.

Beside using a cellular PDA or smart phone for internet access, you can "tether" smart phones, PDA, and a lot of normal looking cell phones to a laptop as well.

For instance, I have a blackberry (sprint) that I can connect via a usb cable to a laptop and use it to get to the internet. I also have the same functionallity with my Samsung cell phone. (AT&T) Some phones also have the ability to "tether" via bluetooth eliminating the cable.

The downside to tethering a laptop to a phone/pda is the cellular carrier usually charges extra for that service. Definately would want to get the unlimted plan or you could end up with a $1000 bill.

13. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Well after this post I am no longer going to suggest ATT&T wireless (formally Cingular). I bought the USB wirelss internet card for my computer. Unreal fast, and I mean everywhere I have taken it so far. And Charter was gonna rip me off for $50 buck for cable DSL!! I am paying a few bucks more litterally for remote acess anywhere and fast!

But thats ATT&T (cingular) and you had a bad experience so I am not suggesting it then......

I think we all have bad stories about all of them at one time or another. My bad one was sprint nextel! Never again!

14. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Verizon offers a wireless card that works wherever you can get coverage, and it has broadband hotspots, but I live just outside of one of the hotspots, and it would only allow us to have one computer online at a time. I aksed about using my cell phone as a modem, but I was told it would cost the same as using the air card, and it would count against my minutes.

I have the ability to check email on my current phone, but it won't work for me to get on forums and such.

15. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Outside of their service area doesn't help. You can get a router to have multiple computers on with a wireless card. I have a linksys one that I use with a Sprint card. http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellit ... 3239789B01

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it will count against your minutes on your phone if you have a wireless data plan. it is likely to cost the same as a wireless card. Typically you will see slightly before speeds out of a wireless card vs tethering a phone.

16. Corbomite

Corbomite New Member

17. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Thanks. That would probably work for me. I have a training class coming up in a couple of weeks, and I might need it in the room then.

18. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Comcast didn't show up today as scheduled. When I called the rep I spoke with gave me the run around complete with snideness. I told him just to cancel the order, and he wouldn't even do that and said I'd have to take it up with the rep that originally scheduled my install. That guy is going to have to do some serious selling to convince me to not follow up with my cancellation.

The reason I was making the switch was for a single channel that is showing VSU games this year. I'm a bit ticked.

19. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

I turned off my tv all together. I got PO'd from all the BS news, garbage tv shows, and high cable prices. I now either watch a DVD or go do something constructive. If I need news I will get it off of internet sources not from Katie Couric.

20. M249

M249 New Member

I don't own a TV. :wink: