Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20029 ... eStories.0

Under the revised legislation, the definition of critical infrastructure has been tightened. DHS is only supposed to place a computer system (including a server, Web site, router, and so on) on the list if it meets three requirements. First, the disruption of the system could cause "severe economic consequences" or worse. Second, that the system "is a component of the national information infrastructure." Third, that the "national information infrastructure is essential to the reliable operation of the system."
#2 is sublimely vague, isn't it?

A company that objects to being subject to the emergency regulations is permitted to appeal to DHS secretary Janet Napolitano. But her decision is final and courts are explicitly prohibited from reviewing it.

President Obama would then have the power to "issue a declaration of a national cyberemergency." What that entails is a little unclear, including whether DHS could pry user information out of Internet companies that it would not normally be entitled to obtain without a court order. One section says they can disclose certain types of noncommunications data if "specifically authorized by law," but a presidential decree may suffice.
Seems like a very efficient way to silence people, and to prevent communications between those who would seek to rebel against such a tyrannical government.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,592 Posts
Law that attempt to deny access to the courts have a real hard time passing Constitutional muster. :screwy:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kkennett said:
More for the tin hat:

The government has issued NOTAMs (notices to pilots) of DoD tests in the near future that will disrupt GPS service, including right here off the coast of Georgia.

http://gcn.com/articles/2011/01/24/faa- ... sting.aspx
It has always been known that the .mil can degrade the GPS signal for civilians while keeping pinpoint accuracy for themselves. That's not a necessarily a bad thing in certain scenarios, like invasion of our soil. But, combine the GPS thingy with the Internet thingy, all under martial law, and you've got some bad times.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
AV8R said:
But her decision is final and courts are explicitly prohibited from reviewing it.
Excuse me?
Yeah, who died and made her God? The people would retaliate in ways they have never thought of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
AV8R said:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-31921_3-20029282-281.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Under the revised legislation, the definition of critical infrastructure has been tightened. DHS is only supposed to place a computer system (including a server, Web site, router, and so on) on the list if it meets three requirements. First, the disruption of the system could cause "severe economic consequences" or worse. Second, that the system "is a component of the national information infrastructure." Third, that the "national information infrastructure is essential to the reliable operation of the system."
#2 is sublimely vague, isn't it?

[quote:2fu7am39]A company that objects to being subject to the emergency regulations is permitted to appeal to DHS secretary Janet Napolitano. But her decision is final and courts are explicitly prohibited from reviewing it.

President Obama would then have the power to "issue a declaration of a national cyberemergency." What that entails is a little unclear, including whether DHS could pry user information out of Internet companies that it would not normally be entitled to obtain without a court order. One section says they can disclose certain types of noncommunications data if "specifically authorized by law," but a presidential decree may suffice.
Seems like a very efficient way to silence people, and to prevent communications between those who would seek to rebel against such a tyrannical government.[/quote:2fu7am39]
Welcome to Iraq EVERYONE!!! Please collect ur coffee mug and tshirt as you depart from the vehicle. WTF are they thinking?....
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
AV8R said:
But her decision is final and courts are explicitly prohibited from reviewing it.
Excuse me?
Actually, this type of language is what I would expect from the Obama administration. They think of themselves as dictators and do not want anyone being able to review or question their authority. They are simple tyrants.

If this is allowed to pass, it would just be one more straw.
 

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
Joined
·
6,763 Posts
WTH? When did this become the Socialist States Of America? This big brother mess has got to stop.
 

·
what me worry?
Joined
·
6,504 Posts
it happened when american idol led to the dumbing of the youngens to vote for change
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
mark5019 said:
it happened when american idol led to the dumbing of the youngens to vote for change
I'd argue that it happened about two or three generations prior to that...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,204 Posts
ChipM said:
mark5019 said:
it happened when american idol led to the dumbing of the youngens to vote for change
I'd argue that it happened about two or three generations prior to that...
It started with compulsory government education.
 

·
Junior Butt Warmer
Joined
·
46,427 Posts
CoffeeMate said:
AV8R said:
[quote:1axz45yd]But her decision is final and courts are explicitly prohibited from reviewing it.
Excuse me?
Puffyfish said:
Yeah, who died and made her God? The people would retaliate in ways they have never thought of.
EJR914 said:
Actually, this type of language is what I would expect from the Obama administration. They think of themselves as dictators and do not want anyone being able to review or question their authority. They are simple tyrants.
[/quote:1axz45yd]
"Separation of Powers" anyone?

I do not believe the Legislative Branch has the authoritah to tell the Judicial Branch what it may or may not do. I know for certain the Executive Branch certainly doesn't.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can be sure that the Obama administration is taking notes on how the internet and social media are playing a role in Egypt's "situation." They cut off the internet and people reverted back to dial-up modems. Foreign European ISPs were giving out login user IDs and passwords for free so Egyptians could connect. Cell phone service was also shut down there, but people were using satellite phones or grabbing a signal from a neighboring country on the border. None of what their government did was terribly effective.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
AV8R said:
You can be sure that the Obama administration is taking notes on how the internet and social media are playing a role in Egypt's "situation." They cut off the internet and people reverted back to dial-up modems. Foreign European ISPs were giving out login user IDs and passwords for free so Egyptians could connect. Cell phone service was also shut down there, but people were using satellite phones or grabbing a signal from a neighboring country on the border. None of what their government did was terribly effective.
Taking notes, making plans, and checking the list twice.

Yeah, I mean the free market will always survive, but I'm still certain the majority of people were still silenced. There will always be a select smart few that know how to beat the system and get by any type of "kill switch." Whether it be telecomm, internet, GPS, radio. There is always a simpler, less technical way to do things as well that have nothing or little to do with electronics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts
JiG said:
ChipM said:
mark5019 said:
it happened when american idol led to the dumbing of the youngens to vote for change
I'd argue that it happened about two or three generations prior to that...
It started with compulsory government education.

Amazing that this movie was made in 2006.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
AEKDB said:
JiG said:
ChipM said:
mark5019 said:
it happened when american idol led to the dumbing of the youngens to vote for change
I'd argue that it happened about two or three generations prior to that...
It started with compulsory government education.

Amazing that this movie was made in 2006.
I would laugh, but Idiocracy reminds me way too much of our current state of affairs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,447 Posts
EJR914 said:
CoffeeMate said:
AV8R said:
But her decision is final and courts are explicitly prohibited from reviewing it.
Excuse me?
Actually, this type of language is what I would expect from the Obama administration. They think of themselves as dictators and do not want anyone being able to review or question their authority. They are simple tyrants.

If this is allowed to pass, it would just be one more straw.
How many straws are needed to break the camels back? If this goes into affect I'm quite curious how the citizens of the country will respond? I'm certain it'll probably fall on death ears and most of these sheep will make the following statement:

If the government designed it, it must be good for us
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More: http://www.theage.com.au/technology/tec ... 1aah3.html

As Egypt goes offline US gets internet 'kill switch' bill ready

As Egypt's government attempts to crackdown on street protests by shutting down internet and mobile phone services, the US is preparing to reintroduce a bill that could be used to shut down the internet.

The legislation, which would grant US President Barack Obama powers to seize control of and even shut down the internet, would soon be reintroduced to a senate committee, Wired.com reported.
The proposed legislation, introduced into the US Senate by independent senator Joe Lieberman, who is chairman of the US Homeland Security committee, seeks to grant the President broad emergency powers over the internet in times of national emergency.
G** D*** that Lieberman. :evil: :evil: :evil:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,055 Posts
TippinTaco said:
How many straws are needed to break the camels back? If this goes into affect I'm quite curious how the citizens of the country will respond?
This is the issue - very few will see this as the draconian move that it is, until it is too late.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top