Internet-controlled shotguns linked to web cams on food plot

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by PaintTheSkyGrey, Jan 16, 2011.

1. PaintTheSkyGrey

PaintTheSkyGrey Member

Wow... Not much more I can say about this one. :shock:

Creepy as the concept might be, someone actually built an Internet-controlled network of web-accessible cameras and shotguns aimed into a food plot on a Georgia Power Company right-of-way last fall.

According to a bulletin from the Georgia Information Sharing & Analysis Center, "three shotguns were set up on a platform and linked to a web-accessible camera system that allows the guns to be fired via an internet connection."

A second, identical system was found on the other side of the right-of-way, for a total of six shotguns.

The expensive Benelli shotguns appear to be chambered for 3-inch shells and fitted with magazine extension tubes that increase their capacity from five to as many as eight rounds. Such a system, if fully operational, could direct substantial - and deadly - firepower.

The bulletin, circulated by the Office of Homeland Security, went on to say that the guns were trained toward a food plot, and that their likely intent was for hunting in an area known to be infested with feral hogs.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/content/bl ... d-web-cams

2. pml

pml Active Member

I've read the hunting regs, I think that is illegal

3. seereus

seereus Active Member

Calling Political BS on this one.

Lots of greenery to be fall.

4. hamster

hamster Member

Article in GON jan2011 edition says time frame was early November.

5. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

If the items were removed before authorities arrived, how do they know it was internet controlled? How do they know half the things they claim only from a picture a contractor snapped of it before he left?

6. commodore_dude

commodore_dude Active Member

My uncle works for the forestry service in NC, and they all got a BOLO for similar setups several weeks ago. Seems legit.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Seems like a good way for criminals to steal some guns.

8. Editingfx

Editingfx New Member

Wait... you mean I have to go OUTSIDE to hunt hogs??

[​IMG]

9. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

The question I have is why was DHS called?

A Georgia Power crew found it.

10. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Replace the shotguns with AR-15's w/ 200+ round mags, move it from a food plot to a crowded venue, and you'll have your answer.

The question I have is why was DHS called?

A Georgia Power crew found it.[/quote:1nidd1l7]

11. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Or replace the table with a vehicle and drive it around.. :roll: ...Come on, stop dreaming.....It's shotguns....a middle of nowhere South GA right of way.

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I didn't know that 200+ rd. magazines exit for AR-15s.

I suppose you could use a shrike belt-fed upper to get that sort of capacity.

13. AeroShooter

Here's an example of the design:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/BETA-CCM000-4.html

That one is 100 round. I recall seeing a similar design that held more rounds but I can't seem to find it now.

14. AeroShooter

I'm not suggesting this particular setup was done by... wait for it... 'terrorists'. But I think it is only a matter of time before we see an assault on the public using a similar set up.

15. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

You've already seen it for years in the form of cell controlled bombs which do much more damage. I will admit however that a gun setup might do more psychological damage to people who've been somewhat desensitized to bombings.

16. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I am familiar with beta mags (and the Korean knock-offs) but I still have never heard of any being 200+ rounds.

17. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

lol leave it to the south to create something like this.

18. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Shotguns, smotguns. I want me one of these. :mrgreen: