Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow... Not much more I can say about this one. :shock:

Creepy as the concept might be, someone actually built an Internet-controlled network of web-accessible cameras and shotguns aimed into a food plot on a Georgia Power Company right-of-way last fall.

According to a bulletin from the Georgia Information Sharing & Analysis Center, "three shotguns were set up on a platform and linked to a web-accessible camera system that allows the guns to be fired via an internet connection."

A second, identical system was found on the other side of the right-of-way, for a total of six shotguns.

The expensive Benelli shotguns appear to be chambered for 3-inch shells and fitted with magazine extension tubes that increase their capacity from five to as many as eight rounds. Such a system, if fully operational, could direct substantial - and deadly - firepower.

The bulletin, circulated by the Office of Homeland Security, went on to say that the guns were trained toward a food plot, and that their likely intent was for hunting in an area known to be infested with feral hogs.

http://chronicle.augusta.com/content/bl ... d-web-cams

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've read the hunting regs, I think that is illegal
UNLAWFUL ACTIVITIES
• Importation of any whole cervid (deer species) carcass or cervid
carcass part from any state having a documented case of a cervid
infected with CWD, except that the following may be imported:
1) boned-out meat; 2) commercially processed cuts of meat;
3) meat with no part of spinal column or head attached; 4) clean
skull plates w/antlers attached; 5) clean antlers; 6) finished taxidermy
heads; 7) clean upper canines (buglers, whistlers, ivories).
• Hunting while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
• Use of any pitfall, deadfall, snare, catch, trap, net, exposed salt or
minerals, live decoy, or baited hook to take game species.
• Hunting within 200 yards of bait unless bait has been completely
removed for 10 days.
• Hunting within sight of bait, regardless of distance.
• Hunting or shooting from or across a public road.
• Discharging a firearm within 50 yards of a public road.
• Hunting from a vehicle, plane, or boat under power.
• Hunting without landowners’ permission, including power line,
gas line, railroad and other rights-of-way. Written permission
must be obtained if land is so posted.
• Use of drugs, poisons, chemicals, smoke, gas, or explosives, or
electronically-amplified sounds to hunt any game species.
• Use of electronic communications equipment to aid in the pursuit
of game.
• Use of a computer or any other device to remotely discharge a
firearm for the purpose of hunting.

• Selling or purchasing any game species or parts thereof, except
antlers, hides, and tails of legally taken deer, tails of legally taken
squirrels, and legally taken alligator products.
• Disturbing wildlife dens, holes, or homes, or driving wildlife,
except venomous snakes, from their dens, holes, or homes.
• Blinding wildlife with lights.
• Killing or crippling game without reasonable efforts to retrieve.
• Holding, possessing, releasing, or importing wildlife without a
permit from the DNR.
• Concealing the taking or possession of wildlife (or parts) which
the person in possession reasonably should have known was obtained
illegally.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
If the items were removed before authorities arrived, how do they know it was internet controlled? How do they know half the things they claim only from a picture a contractor snapped of it before he left?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
My uncle works for the forestry service in NC, and they all got a BOLO for similar setups several weeks ago. Seems legit.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Seems like a good way for criminals to steal some guns.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Dang man. You're good. I had to really look to see that 4th low-mounted shotgun on the backside of the double mount. I looked at one of those guns at Guns and Gear in Lavonia this morning. At $1400 each and 4 guns on each end of the food plot, that's $11,200 worth of guns, not counting tax. If you throw in the 8 leadsled-type gun rests, the servos, the cameras, the benches, and the 3.5" shells, there's easily $15K that was just left out in the woods unsecured.
Yup, I know exactly where this plantation is, and yes, it was set up for feral hogs. The land owner is pretty well off but is tired of the hogs. He put alot of effort in setting this up. He also put a good bit of change into it as well. The guns were unloaded during the day and set to fire at night. Not only did he watch them from his desk top but also from a box stand in the area. Now im not saying its rite, but i do know he went to the fullest to protect the people.... O and by the way, there not in use anymore. He had to many probs with the set up as i was just told!!!
The question I have is why was DHS called?

A Georgia Power crew found it.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Replace the shotguns with AR-15's w/ 200+ round mags, move it from a food plot to a crowded venue, and you'll have your answer.

mountainpass said:
Dang man. You're good. I had to really look to see that 4th low-mounted shotgun on the backside of the double mount. I looked at one of those guns at Guns and Gear in Lavonia this morning. At $1400 each and 4 guns on each end of the food plot, that's $11,200 worth of guns, not counting tax. If you throw in the 8 leadsled-type gun rests, the servos, the cameras, the benches, and the 3.5" shells, there's easily $15K that was just left out in the woods unsecured.
[quote:1nidd1l7]Yup, I know exactly where this plantation is, and yes, it was set up for feral hogs. The land owner is pretty well off but is tired of the hogs. He put alot of effort in setting this up. He also put a good bit of change into it as well. The guns were unloaded during the day and set to fire at night. Not only did he watch them from his desk top but also from a box stand in the area. Now im not saying its rite, but i do know he went to the fullest to protect the people.... O and by the way, there not in use anymore. He had to many probs with the set up as i was just told!!!
The question I have is why was DHS called?

A Georgia Power crew found it.[/quote:1nidd1l7]

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
peashooter's dad said:
Replace the shotguns with AR-15's w/ 200+ round mags, move it from a food plot to a crowded venue, and you'll have your answer.
Or replace the table with a vehicle and drive it around.. :roll: ...Come on, stop dreaming.....It's shotguns....a middle of nowhere South GA right of way.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
I didn't know that 200+ rd. magazines exit for AR-15s.

I suppose you could use a shrike belt-fed upper to get that sort of capacity.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
mountainpass said:
peashooter's dad said:
Or replace the table with a vehicle and drive it around.. :roll: ...Come on, stop dreaming.....It's shotguns....a middle of nowhere South GA right of way.
I'm not suggesting this particular setup was done by... wait for it... 'terrorists'. But I think it is only a matter of time before we see an assault on the public using a similar set up.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
AeroShooter said:
I'm not suggesting this particular setup was done by... wait for it... 'terrorists'. But I think it is only a matter of time before we see an assault on the public using a similar set up.
You've already seen it for years in the form of cell controlled bombs which do much more damage. I will admit however that a gun setup might do more psychological damage to people who've been somewhat desensitized to bombings.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
AeroShooter said:
GAGunOwner said:
I didn't know that 200+ rd. magazines exit for AR-15s.

I suppose you could use a shrike belt-fed upper to get that sort of capacity.
Here's an example of the design:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/BETA-CCM000-4.html

That one is 100 round. I recall seeing a similar design that held more rounds but I can't seem to find it now.
I am familiar with beta mags (and the Korean knock-offs) but I still have never heard of any being 200+ rounds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts