Interesting story

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I thought that I would share this interesting story. Sorry if it’s a long read.

In December ’08, I traded my way into a pistol that I always wanted. It was an early eighties Steyr GB9. One of the first “wonder ninesâ€. The GB is a full sized, SA/DA, 18rd capacity duty pistol. I had always heard that they were one of the most accurate 9’s ever made and what great shooters they were. I traded a 1911 for it and put it away.

Due to work issues it was several weeks until I had a chance to shoot it. When I did, I was VERY disappointed. Light primer strikes on at least 8 out of every 10 rounds. I decided to see if I could fix it. Common sense told me that it had to have an issue with the hammer springs. At first I just field stripped it, but could not see the hammer springs well. I decided to remove the hammer, springs and sear, to see what I could find. BIG MISTAKE! Everything that I found online said to never, not ever remove the sear from a GB9. I talked to several gunsmiths in and out of GA about it, and none of them knew anything about GBs, and even Steyr no longer services them.

In Feb ’09 I dropped it off with a local smith. He told me that he didn’t think he could do anything with it, but would give it a try. A month later he informs me that I he can’t find the needed springs or schematics showing how to reassemble it. I asked him what he suggested and he said that he may be able to fabricate some springs and would keep looking for schematics.

I speak with him three months later, and tell him just keep the parts in a bin and if someone else should happen to bring one in, just to use it for spare parts. I was down on it, and just wanted to put it behind me.

Flash forward to this past Friday evening. The smith calls me out of the blue, and says the he has the pistol reassembled and wants to know if I want it back. HUH? He told me that one of the helpers in his shop found the parts in a bin while cleaning up and decided to tinker with it. I asked him if it was working and he told me that he hadn’t taken it to the range, but it was getting good, solid primer strikes. I asked him how much I owed him and he said $40.

I picked it up Saturday afternoon and thank him for returning it to me. I have not had a chance to shoot it, but did decide to “pencil test†it. I figured that this would be the easiest way to see how hard the firing pin was hitting a primer without shooting it. I cleared my CZ SP01 Phantom that was on my hip, and inserted a pencil into the barrel. I point it straight up and pull the trigger. The pencil comes up about 3 inches and slides back into the barrel. I then unload my S&W J-frame, cock the hammer, insert the pencil into it, and pull the trigger. The pencil moved about on inch or so. I next insert the pencil into the barrel of the long lost Steyr. I point it straight up, pull the trigger, and the pencil flies clear of the barrel and falls on the floor. Way more movement than with my two “known good†pistols.

I hope to run a few mags through it one night this week. I will post an update after I do.

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

You do know we want good quality photos. :)

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

4. 87FieroGT

87FieroGT New Member

Good things come to those who wait..... :p

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Andy Gazaway.

6. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I was about to tell you if you couldn't find the smith, I know of one who specializes in older pistols, especially foreign as well.

He fixed a WWII era German pistol that I foolishly took all the way down to clean it once. Worst idea ever. Those German pistols have 250 parts in them.

He fixed it in about 10 minutes and charged me almost nothing. It was the same spring that you are talking about.