Interesting Encounter at Chehaw Park, Albany GA

Discussion in 'Citizens Encounters' started by Feral, May 6, 2017.

1. Feral

Feral Active Member

My first open carry encounter in months. It's a mouthful so venture on at your own risk. I'm going to try and remember everything the gentleman said.

My significant other and I went to Chehaw Park today. We took her two nieces. I was openly carrying my P250c along with two backup mags opposite side in some Zookeper leather.

We walked throughout the entire zoo area for a few hours without any issues. After awhile the children wanted to go to the playground so we ventured back to drive over.

Eventually we arrived at the playground which is massive by the way. The girls went wild on the playground while we sat down on a bench in some shade.

After awhile I had to walk around to the other side to keep an eye on the eldest. As I was standing there a black man in maybe his 30s started beckoning me over. He was in a fold out chair in the shade with his children. At first I thought he was speaking to someone else and then he said:

"Yeah, you with the pistol."

My mood immediately worsened as I feared he was just going to chastise me.

I walked over to him.

He said, "I see you got that pistol. Were you bullied as a kid or something? You don't need that. You need to learn how to fight."

He went on to explain that he used to have guns in the house when he was "scrawny" like me. But he decided to instead learn how to fight and bulked up. He didn't want to be afraid anymore.

"You're a coward. That's the problem. You're going to shoot someone and you're going to kill them. I can see it. Because you think that's your only option," he said.

He said I should instead look into self defense classes using my hands instead of guns. I told him that even then (it is something I want to do) that I would continue to carry because my gun affords me another option.

"Look around," he gestured around the park,"you're the only guy here with a gun. Around these kids!"

He was overall very pleasant. Blunt, but not confrontational whatsoever. He spoke well and made his point. I could see my girlfriend subtly beckoning me over so I offered the gentleman my hand to shake.

I told him I appreciated the conversation but I must go. He made sure to end by repeating, "I can see it. You're going to kill someone. It's going to change you forever. Think about what I said. Learn to fight."

I understand his sentiment. I countered his arguments well I believe. It never became heated and was a nice conversation. He was blunt but not insulting.

Just thought I would share. It was interesting.

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Interesting encounter. I wonder how many people in Orlando had learned to fight but were unarmed in the nightclub. Wonder if he thought that did them any good?

3. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I got great respect for folks who are good fighters. I'm not one.

4. Arty

Arty Fire for effect

I've seen people open carrying at Chehaw Park before, including at the children's playground, and no one seemed to be bothered by it.

5. Feral

Feral Active Member

I did overhear one woman as I was walking through the playground to watch my significant other's nieces.

She mentioned to the man beside her, "He's got a gun! Can he do that?"

But nothing became of it. She never left during the hour we were at the playground.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  6. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Interesting encounter. "I do know how to fight, sir, but I'm not much good against a knife or a gun. So I carry this for just that case."

7. nutnless220

nutnless220 Member

I and every martial artist I know carry a handgun daily . And I know hundreds.
    With "martial: meaning "war like", would seem kind of dumb not to.
    YMMV

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

"Sir, yes I might shoot somebody someday, but why are you so certain they are going to die? Statistics show that 85% of people shot with a pistol survive. Now they may walk with a limp for the rest of their life, or they may be paralyzed or lose a lung. But I can assure you, that bullet will have been launched because they brought it upon themselves by their dangerous and unlawful actions toward me.

And how do you know my gun is the only one here? Do you have x-ray vision? Have you looked under all shirts or in all purses?"

He may have had a pleasant demeanor, but he was a fool. How presumptive of him to know whether or not your health would allow you to to engage in fisticuffs and wrestling! And what about multiple attackers? Once one has you down, another one could easily kill you.

Some people were just born to be idiots it seems.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  9. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

The Samurai knew how to fight empty handed, but they also carried swords.

10. Feral

Feral Active Member

I mentioned to him that I saw two individuals who I'm confident were concealed carrying in the park but he deflected it.

I didn't take much from the conversation. He was just another person who wanted to talk and I was the unfortunate ear.

11. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Like many hoplophobes he only worries about what he can see, not the distinct possibility of what may be concealed. "Out of sight is out of mind." :sheep:

12. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

I would say calling someone a coward is VERY insulting.

13. Feral

Feral Active Member

Out of context it is. Even in the context probably so. But from his body language and tone I don't believe he meant it to be. He seemed like he was trying to convert me rather than attack my character. He did a poor job of getting the point across.

I was calm the entire time and let him talk. I countered when I felt it was necessary.

14. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

This. I think that's why so many people who carry are comfortable with anyone and everyone around them carrying. Carrying (especially concealed) comes with the unavoidable realization that 24x7x365 anyone in your proximity could be armed (and some likely are armed) and you won't have a clue. Once you accept that, confirming your suspicions doesn't change anything.

In sharp contrast, those in denial are shocked when faced with the stark reality that the guy in line beside you could kill you.

Honestly, I think that's why they get angry. You just gave them a shot of narcan and snapped them into reality.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  15. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

You just had to go and make me look up what that was, didn't you? :?
    Well, at least I'm smarter than I was when I woke up.

16. Vamesq

Vamesq New Member

His reaction and response to your preferred method of legal carry is easy to understand. He is most likely prohibited from exercising his 2nd Amendment rights, as the result of a disqualifying criminal conviction. Go figure...............

17. FrontSight

FrontSight Member

Exactly! He didn't sway your views on carrying and you wouldn't have changed his opinion/beliefs also. I ignore these people and walk away, let them expend their braggadocious breath on someone else.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Feral, you have excellent self control.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It is not advisable, James, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener.

-- Francisco d'Anconia to James Taggart​

My favorite quote from Atlas Shrugged. I have it memorized just for occasions like yours.

20. Feral

Feral Active Member

I actually was bullied a little in school. I built up a thick skin. I don't view it as something that weakened me but rather strengthened my character.

My significant other has remarked on occasion that my calm demeanor and self control is, per her words, "scary." I just don't like to ruin my day by letting others negatively affect it. If I can maybe change their mind then so be it. But he was cemented in his beliefs.