Interesting conversation with my wife

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by The Chili Pros, Nov 10, 2010.

1. The Chili Pros

The Chili Pros New Member

We were cooking dinner and she brought up a conversation. If ZOMBIES attack what will I carry?
    That got me to thinkin, I have prepared for me to save my family.
    I have not armed anyone but me?
    I have
    1 AR
    1 30-30
    1-17 hmr
    1 45
    1 38
    1 9mm
    1 380
    1 32
    and sorta of plenty of ammo for all. (Im still working on it)

I pictured my costume to be AR across the waist, 45 on right, 9mm on left and 380 behind.

Thoughts?

Have you guys thought about what you will do with your family?

2. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

3 calibers?

Good thing the family will be there to pull the radio flyer full of ammo.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you need a .22.

4. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I am working toward .308, 9mm, .22 and 12 guage. I would suggest you get the wife on a similar caliber as the ar you already own and find a common caliber pistol that works for her.

5. spotco2

spotco2 New Member

I would strongly suggest multiples of the same weapons. Parts including mags and ammo are interchangable just in case someone runs low or out during that critical time.

It sounds to me like you have more of a personal collection.

6. Paladin

Paladin Fattus Patrickus

I went the way of comminality. I wanted a true battle rifle, +12 guage, +.45, +.22 with appropriate accessory for, ahem, discreet pest management...

Wifey can't handle a battle rifle. Hmmmm ok. So I compromised and it's AR's all around. Didn't make much sense to arm myself with a rifle she can't use, and her with ammo I couldn't use.

7. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Exactly why it makes no sense for me to carry an AR and her to carry a mini 14; also need to get her a 9MM. And another 12 ga. My collection needs some tweaking. Just in time for the gun show this weekend. Thanks a lot, guys...

8. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

I hope you're in really good shape to be carrying all that extra weight.

9. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I don't see a melee weapon in the mix.

You need a ninja sword.

10. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

With the handle wrapped in telephone cord.

11. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

AR-15 over the shoulder on my back. PX4 9mm subcompact on the left hip. PX4 9mm on the right. CX4 9mm carbine as primary. X4 series can all use the 20 round CX4 magazines so I don't need to carry as many spares.

12. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

A second AR and 9mm for the wife is the answer here. Chuck all that other stuff and buy more 9mm & 5.56mm ammo, and spare parts for them.

13. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

Are you guys preparing for an actual situation, or for the costume competition at DragonCon?

Look at what people in actual combat carry. ONE weapon, usually a rifle, and LOTS of ammo. Maybe a sidearm if you're an officer. I'd rather have one good rifle and lots of ammo than FOUR guns. You ain't got but the two arms. :lol:

14. SoonerPast

SoonerPast New Member

I test fired one the new KelTec 22 mag pistols recently. 30 round magazines and that 22 mag is a surprisingly effective round.

15. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Why carry the AR if you're going for weapons using the same magazine? Why a pistol caliber carbine over a rifle? Have you ever strapped on all that gear and tried to move?

If you're going to think about it, you may as well try it and see if it works for you.

16. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

ROFLMAO!!!!!!

17. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

This thread is just another reason why we NEED a SHTF/Survival/Preparedness sub-forum...

18. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

If anyone cares to get some training in, wait until they start filming the second season of Walking Dead. go down town with exact replica air soft models and go to town :D

19. rankhornjp

rankhornjp Active Member

THIS!

I have 2 ARs (for me and my wife), handguns in .40 (both) and a .380 (she dont like to carry the .40 on a regular basis, but if the SHTF she wont have a choice) and about 2000 rounds for each. Plus materials for reloading ammo and repairing the guns are being bought as money allows. :righton:

EDIT: if you haven't read this, you should: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=52952

20. COMMANDER1911

COMMANDER1911 New Member

I totally agree. From having been in the Marine Corps and serving in Iraq, I can tell you that you don't want to weigh yourself down. At the MOST, I would have a benneli lightweight semi auto 12 guage, an AR-15 for long range, and my 1911 for a side arm. I have my LBV from when I was in, so that will hold my AR mags, and I'll have my pistol mags on my waist belt. My wife would carry her 38 special, and I'm looking into having an M-4 built for her. We will immediatley depart wherever we are at the time of the attack, and attempt to make our way to the family farm, where we could live self reliant. I've given this some thought :)