Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Interesting conversation with a Snellville police officer

4K views 65 replies 17 participants last post by  wsweeks2 
#1 ·
Nice lady...I crossed paths with her and asked her what her interpretation of the CCW laws are.

Basically, she agreed it needed to be changed for both Officer Safety and Public Safety issues and for protection of the CCW holder.

She cited the listed places that were off limits that we all know. She also indicated that she would not hassle me if found carrying in a mall or restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol or a movie theater. However, she also agreed that it wouldn't be universally that way for each officer.

She did say that the general feeling among the police is that someone taking the time and energy and money to CCW is a good guy and unless you are being a jerk aka the "It is my right to carry open in WalMart despite them asking me to leave", they would not generally hassle you.

Great encounter and a very nice lady. I think the last name was Baxter...a great example of an interface with the public that is positive.

New

#7 ·
I must admit....the Snellville police uniforms are kind of a turn on when worn by a woman. They look like many large city swat uniforms...all black, tactical gear, etc.

She was actually pretty cute and the fact she had a gun added to the effect.

It's official, she was hot! :D

New

#8 ·
newarcher said:
I must admit....the Snellville police uniforms are kind of a turn on when worn by a woman. They look like many large city swat uniforms...all black, tactical gear, etc.
She would have to be pretty hot for me to get over my disgust at seeing cops dressed like soldiers.

#9 ·
newarcher said:

New
Remember the line in A Few Good Men where Jack Nicholson talks about having to salute a woman in the morning? When I was in AFROTC, I had a female flight commander that ordinarily would have just rated as "cute", but Jack was right. She sure could wear a set of BDUs, and it was all I could do to keep from trotting out a line when popping a salute her way. :twisted:

#10 ·
IMHO, the cops are there to protect me...if nothing else but in a show of force. I know that in Lawrenceville, the Police were taken very seriously.

I want them looking as menacing as possible. It is the only thing that a thug understands. In fact, I would like to see them carrying full automatic weapons....perhaps an MP5.

I have absolutely no reason to run afoul of the law so I fear them not.

New

#11 ·
newarcher said:
IMHO, the cops are there to protect me...if nothing else but in a show of force. I know that in Lawrenceville, the Police were taken very seriously.

I want them looking as menacing as possible. It is the only thing that a thug understands.

New
While I definitely prefer the comfort of a "tactical" style uniform, I must admit that a more professional/traditional looking uniform tends to work a bit better than the ready for war look does for routine work. We tend to go with a happy median, and there are several companies out there now producing some nice looking uniforms that are far more comfortable than the traditional polyester stuff.

#12 ·
legacy38 said:
newarcher said:

New
Remember the line in A Few Good Men where Jack Nicholson talks about having to salute a woman in the morning? When I was in AFROTC, I had a female flight commander that ordinarily would have just rated as "cute", but Jack was right. She sure could wear a set of BDUs, and it was all I could do to keep from trotting out a line when popping a salute her way. :twisted:
That was a great movie...except I was siding with Jack! :D Outstanding acting by Jack......

New

#13 ·
newarcher said:

I want them looking as menacing as possible. It is the only thing that a thug understands. In fact, I would like to see them carrying full automatic weapons....perhaps an MP5.

New
lol :lol:

#14 ·
newarcher said:
Do you want them looking menacing while they intimidate your wife or your kid into consenting to a warrantless search of her vehicle or your house?

I don't.

The police are supposed to protect and serve, not intimidate and harass.

They are NOT soldiers. We (mere citizens) are NOT the enemy.

They should dress and act like distinguished public servants, not battle hardened troops.

#15 ·
mzmtg said:
newarcher said:
Do you want them looking menacing while they intimidate your wife or your kid into consenting to a warrantless search of her vehicle or your house?

I don't.

They should dress and act like distinguished public servants, not battle hardened troops.
=D> =D> =D>

Newarcher, except for VERY limited roles, I don't support the use of automatic weapons by our police. Have you been to countries where the police behave more like soldiers than cops?

#16 ·
mzmtg said:
newarcher said:

I don't.

You must live a very different life than I do.

I have lived a whole 37 years and never once had my wife/child/myself be a victim of a warrantless search of my home or car. I haven't even been stopped by a cop.

I guess I would say that a lot of you guys are anarchists or are very very paranoid.

The police are the first line of defense against the bad guys who have them (and me) outgunned. I want them to have the latest, greatest and meanest looking weapons that they can possibly carry.

You guys crack me up.

You guys act like the anti's do. Don't give the police automatic, high powered weapons because the mere fact that they have such a thing will make the gun jump up out of their hands and shoot me and my family up. Comeon, be realistic. The anti's say that an extra five rounds in my gun makes me a terrorist. Think about how you sound.

New

#17 ·
newarcher said:
mzmtg said:
newarcher said:

I don't.

I have lived a whole 37 years and never once had my wife/child/myself be a victim of a warrantless search of my home or car. I haven't even been stopped by a cop.

I guess I would say that a lot of you guys are anarchists or are very very paranoid.

The police are the first line of defense against the bad guys who have them (and me) outgunned. I want them to have the latest, greatest and meanest looking weapons that they can possibly carry.

You guys crack me up.

You guys act like the anti's do. Don't give the police automatic, high powered weapons because the mere fact that they have such a thing will make the gun jump up out of their hands and shoot me and my family up. Comeon, be realistic. The anti's say that an extra five rounds in my gun makes me a terrorist. Think about how you sound.

New
Do you think the police are there to personally protect you in the event of a crime?

Do you believe our police are highly trained in the use of automatic weapons let alone basic marksmanship?

Do you believe that police are experts on the law and never interpret the law based on their own opinions and biases?

#18 ·
newarcher said:

I've never personally had a bad encounter with a cop. I've gotten a few traffic tickets, but I deserved them and the officers were very professional. The one time I was greeted at my car window with a red-faced cop screaming, "YOU'RE F**KING STUPID! YOU KNOW THAT?!?"...I deserved that too.

newarcher said:
I'd call myself a mildly paranoid minarchist.

newarcher said:

You guys crack me up.

New
I don't have a problem with cops having serious firepower.

I DO have a problem with them displaying it when there's no reason. We don't need to be constantly intimidated and reminded how strong and powerful they are. We need to feel like they are there to help us, not merely process us into the criminal justice system as quickly (and often violently) as possible.

"Shock and awe" should not be the attitude of the average patrol officer.

#19 ·
Dan H said:
newarcher said:
mzmtg said:
newarcher said:

I don't.

You guys crack me up.

New
Do you think the police are there to personally protect you in the event of a crime?

Do you believe our police are highly trained in the use of automatic weapons let alone basic marksmanship?

Do you believe that police are experts on the law and never interpret the law based on their own opinions and biases?
No, I take my personal protection upon myself. However, the police are there to stop any crime that they can possibly stop. Logic dictates that is impossible to stop all crime but I appreciate the police that protect my home and person as much as they possibly can.

Just like military and just like other nations, the police need training. That goes for whether or not they have automatic weapons. I don't know where you live but the police have to qualify with their weapon to be a police officer.

No, they certainly interpret the law...look at the public gathering debacle. That is what the courts are for...

The police are just like everyone else, human. I guess if I had to deal with a bunch of yahoos like some here that consider my very existence a threat to their lives, I would be a little perturbed too. I have never had a bad experience with an officer.

I guess that other people may conduct themselves in such ways that they have reason to fear the police, I am not one of them. Without the police around, you and I would probably be dead because the criminals would have their hay day.

New

#21 ·
mzmtg said:
newarcher said:

I've never personally had a bad encounter with a cop. I've gotten a few traffic tickets, but I deserved them and the officers were very professional. The one time I was greeted at my car window with a red-faced cop screaming, "YOU'RE F**KING STUPID! YOU KNOW THAT?!?"...I deserved that too.

newarcher said:
I'd call myself a mildly paranoid minarchist.

newarcher said:

You guys crack me up.

New
I don't have a problem with cops having serious firepower.

I DO have a problem with them displaying it when there's no reason. We don't need to be constantly intimidated and reminded how strong and powerful they are. We need to feel like they are there to help us, not merely process us into the criminal justice system as quickly (and often violently) as possible.

"Shock and awe" should not be the attitude of the average patrol officer.
Well, you didn't tell us what you did to deserve the f'ing idiot screaming....perhaps he was right! :D

The police should both command and give respect and then receive in in return.

As for firepower, well that's debatable. I personally don't fear an auto or say an AR15 any more than I fear a Glock. Then again, I have zero reason to fear a cop pointing a gun at me, regardless of its makeup. I dare say that those punks in LA that robbed the bank with AK's would have been so brazen had they known the cops carried equal or higher firepower. I believe it was a cop with an AR that stopped it, right? I may be wrong about that.

Again, I do not engage in behavior (maybe except for speeding) that will ever bring me in contact with police. So I don't feel intimidated by them. I see them doing a hard job for little pay and having deal with bozo's who either want them fulfilling a metermaid job or those that want to kill them because they stand in the way of their illegal activities. The intimidation factor, imho, is for the criminals not me.

New

#22 ·
mzmtg said:
newarcher said:
Without the police around, you and I would probably be dead because the criminals would have their hay day.
But it is still appropriate to question their methods.
Well sure, I have no problems with that.

It seems that some here have ran aground with the cops and didn't like the results. I fully expect criminals to be treated with the harshest of treatments...Rodney King should have been SHOT.

I abide by the law so I guess I see the cops as my ally and not my enemy.

New

#23 ·
newarcher said:
It seems that some here have ran aground with the cops and didn't like the results. I fully expect criminals to be treated with the harshest of treatments...Rodney King should have been SHOT.
So, no due process then? What other parts of the Bill of Rights should we ignore? Maybe the 2nd Amendment?

newarcher said:
It's more like: I've lived in very different places that you have. I've seen what a militarized police force is, and what it does. You really think the US is so special that it will not happen here?

My grandfather was a retired LEO, and I have a lot of family members who are, or have been, LEO's. If you think I'm hard on the psuedo-soldier cops, you should hear how my cop family members talk about the tacti-cool LEOs.

FWIW, I have almost always had good experiences with police officers in the US--even when I was being cuffed and stuffed for asshattery. The only times I've experienced problems were with young officers who wanted to play soldier--when I was breaking no laws. I was still polite and respectful.

newarcher said:
You guys crack me up.
We try.

#25 ·
M249 said:
newarcher said:
It's more like: I've lived in very different places that you have. I've seen what a militarized police force is, and what it does. You really think the US is so special that it will not happen here?

My grandfather was a retired LEO, and I have a lot of family members who are, or have been, LEO's. If you think I'm hard on the psuedo-soldier cops, you should hear how my cop family members talk about the tacti-cool LEOs.

FWIW, I have almost always had good experiences with police officers in the US--even when I was being cuffed and stuffed for asshattery. The only times I've experienced problems were with young officers who wanted to play soldier.

newarcher said:
You guys crack me up.
We try.
Perhaps that is the difference between us and why we think differently.

I guess my point of view is that if our police forces were more military like and better heeled, we wouldn't have reports of how the MI13 gang was taking over cities in America and a lot of the real, hard crime would stop.

It is sad when police officers are afraid to go into certain parts of certain cities in America because they are undergunned.

I believe the cops should have a function and that function should be closely monitored. But it really doesn't bother me one bit to see a cop carrying an AR (I saw that at the Atlanta airport post 9/11) and dressed in a tough looking uniform.

JMHO,
New

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.