Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my lifetime I never dreamed I would see an article like this one. For those of you who have kept up with Intel and AMD it is sweet justice for some of the crap Intel pulled in the early 2000's onward towards AMD. Now if Dell could get a taste of the same.

Reactions: ICP_Juggalo

·
Professional Troll
2,277 Posts
The x86 chip architecture days are numbered. With devices getting smaller and smaller, there is a growing demand for SoC (System on a Chip) architectures like ARM that can pack the same if not more of a punch in terms of processing power with smaller chip dies draw less power and generate less heat. Apple has just about gone full ARM and moved away from x86 completely. PC's are starting to follow suit.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Not just the early 2000's OWM. I remember when they released the 32 bit 80386 chip in the 80's. It broke a lot of things for the users with previous chips being 16 bit. Later they released the 16 bit 80386SX and renamed the other chip the 80386DX. They totally screwed up but made lots of money from it.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
I had a 386 as well. the only problem with it was I also had to buy a separate math co processor in order to do CAD. The math co cost almost as much as the whole computer. The 386 /33 could not process the needed math to design structures such as houses, plumbing, wiring and HVAC diagrams. I also used it to design custom model airplanes for some friends. The 386 could not handle the task in a reasonable amount of time without the math co.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
I had a 386 also. Connected with a 14kbs modem to the flat 4 wire plug in phone cord. I wanted the 28 but none were around when I was shopping.

Man I knew it all, or could find it if i needed to know.

Nemo

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
In 1982 I had a Radio Shack model 3. The modem was only 300 baud and used a cradle you laid your phone handset in. Dialed up on the internet same year. It was called CompU-Serv back then.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
In 1982 I had a Radio Shack model 3. The modem was only 300 baud and used a cradle you laid your phone handset in. Dialed up on the internet same year. It was called CompU-Serv back then.
That was before my time. Only ever saw one in weird science.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember when the only computer around took up an entire floor of a large building.

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
Long ago my company (doing heavy math work) had several 3 and 486's. Everyone fought over the one with the separate math co-processor chip. At least a 5X productivity gain running fluid flow partial diff equation calculations.

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
I once sold a system that drove 4 crt's with 8 colors each. It took two 6 ft high racks to do less that what is built into lots of CPU's these days. Or on a $30 video card.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
Remember the Saturn V moon rockets from NASA? The black band around it was all the computer equipment. IBM got that contract and that black band was part of it.

You phone does more now than that entire computer section. 20 years from now you will be Borg'ed at birth. Ask Mr. Musk.

Nemo

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
If you want to get your mind blown, look at what the USB-C ports on modern laptops and desktop can do:
Provide 120AMPs smart charging (variable voltage), Add a $65 break out box to it and get multiple additional USB and wired network ports, 4K hdmi and dvi ports, multiple memory card reader ports - simultaneous use !

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
Whatever that means. Sounds cool though.

Nemo

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Provide 120AMPs smart charging (variable voltage), Add a $65 break out box to it and get multiple additional USB and wired network ports, 4K hdmi and dvi ports, multiple memory card reader ports - simultaneous use !
Damn I'm impressed I didn't think there were over 4 people who know that. :geek:

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
woops, typo: 120AMPs nope (that would take car battery cables) Its watts (some go to 140 !)
The fun thing on the laptops is that it is a two way port as far a charging goes. I've got a new usb charging powerbank that does that. Same port will charge the host laptop or can be used to charge something else.
Even the old style usb plugs in their modern incantation now have a 3.0 spec which means the thing being charged sends data as to how much power (voltage/amps) it wants.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
My first PC was a TRS-80 Model III that was a hand-me-down from a company my mother worked that was moving. I bought myself a 286 in 1989 and spent many hours on local bulletin boards. It had 12MHz processor, 1M RAM, 40M HDD, with high density 5.25 & 3.5 drives, and a SVGA monitor. It would FLY! I had to format them as double sided, double density to share files with friends.

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
I paid crazy money for an Apple II and immediately plugged in a Microsoft cpu on a card in order to get it to do anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts