Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She doesn't know that Wisconsin law allows people to openly carry a firearm, so she notifies authorities, later telling them, "I didn't want to be that one person that saw guns and didn't call and something horrible happens."

Officers arrive to find five armed men at the restaurant near East Towne Mall. In an effort to determine whether there is any threat to public safety, they ask to see the men's identification to make sure they're not felons, who are prohibited from possessing firearms.

To some, the actions by Madison police Saturday evening are reasonable. But members of gun rights organizations say police had no reason to suspect the men were felons. And what happened next, they say, amounted to the illegal search and detention of two of the men when they refused to provide their IDs.
http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

Ohh my gosh! If I hadn't called the police they might have killed everybody!

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Madison... go figure.

·
68,524 Posts
At least two of them (the minority) had the guts to refuse to show their i.d.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
At least two of them (the minority) had the guts to refuse to show their i.d.
Yep, that was good on them, but look what it got them?

Winrich and Frank R. Hannan-Rock, 53, of Racine, were then given municipal citations for obstructing an officer, Madison police spokesman Joel DeSpain said.
The always dreaded catch all charge of obstruction. I wonder if it will hold up in court? I hope they fight the charge on 4th amendment grounds.

At least they didn't get arrested for "disorderly conduct" since they were open carrying and you know how disorderly that can be.

Oops... there it is...

But McLay questioned whether obstruction was the correct citation given the circumstances. On Monday, detectives were sent to Culver's for further investigation to determine if another criminal charge, such as disorderly conduct, is warranted, McLay said.
It appears the authorities didn't learn from the last judge they had to pay.

Wisconsin Carry won a $10,000 judgement against the city of Racine and its police department after Hannan-Rock was involved in a similar incident there, Gold said.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Sending detectives to "investigate" for a possible disorderly conduct charge?!?!? Gee that doesn't reek of "OOOOHHHH :censored: we screwed with those Wisconsin Carry guys again and they actually know those pesky law thingies we're supposed to enforce. Quick, let's send detectives to see if we can possible justify (translation: trump up) some more charges against those pesky folks to cover our previously sued :censored:'s"

I wonder how many times a year they send out detectives after the fact to investigate possible disorderly conduct charges for other law enforcement/citizen encounters.

Do courts take into account repeated instances and patterns of government abuse and misconduct when deciding 1983 lawsuit judgements?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
CoolHand said:
Sending detectives to "investigate" for a possible disorderly conduct charge?!?!? Gee that doesn't reek of "OOOOHHHH :censored: we screwed with those Wisconsin Carry guys again and they actually know those pesky law thingies we're supposed to enforce. Quick, let's send detectives to see if we can possible justify (translation: trump up) some more charges against those pesky folks to cover our previously sued :censored:'s"

I wonder how many times a year they send out detectives after the fact to investigate possible disorderly conduct charges for other law enforcement/citizen encounters.

Do courts take into account repeated instances and patterns of government abuse and misconduct when deciding 1983 lawsuit judgements?
bold added by mountainman

One would think (hope?) so.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Madison Police North District Capt. Cameron McLay said he believes officers acted appropriately in responding to a report of armed men in a public place in an urban setting, and the caller's concern that something might happen.

McLay said police were going into "a highly ambiguous situation" and had to determine if a crime had been or was about to be committed and preserve public safety, while assuring the rights of all involved. "This is what the officers did in this case to the best of their ability."
HA soooo... you didn't learn anything the first go around huh? Hell when your detectives showed up at my house I would sit there and let you talk all day and I'd listen. $10,000.. wow i need to Oc more. Grant ya I'm sure Carry.org got some of those funds but still to walk away with a few grand just because some ignorant cops decided to enforce what they want to be laws, I would think them being guilty of violating rights would erase the other trumped up charges wouldnt it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts