Info needed...

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by bags, Jul 9, 2007.

1. bags

bags New Member

Last week, friday at 2:45pm to be exact, a guy had a heart attack(or similar) that required CPR at the CVS on sandy plains and trickum rd. He looked very bad and when the fire dept showed up I think they hooked him up and shocked him.

Anyway, I was curious if anyone was LEO/EMS/Fire/Hosptial worker that knew if they guy made it or not?

Thanks for any and all assistance

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Even if they did know, HIPAA would prevent them from saying anything about it.

If you know his name, and the hospital he went to, you might be able to find out, but I doubt even then that the hospital would give out the info. We don't typically talk about DOAs and codes unless it's to family members who are present right then.

3. bags

bags New Member

AHHHHHH.. I never even thought of that. And I understand completly. I came upon the situation and gave the guy doing chest compressions a break, and shortly there after the marietta FD showed up and took over.

I am very curious about the guy if he survived. 1st time I ever gave CPR. I know I cracked a rib or 2 cause I felt them crack. I was amped up and once the FD and ambulance showed up, I got out of the way and several minutes later when I was really in the way, I went on with my business.

You being in that field, I'll ask this question, if I went down to the FD station that responded to the call and asked one of them, do you think they would tell me? OR would I be putting them in a bad postion? If I am putting anyone in a compromising postion, I won't even ask the question.

Thanks

4. gsusnake

Can't hurt, especially if one of the EMTs or firefighters who was on duty then is on duty when you go in and he or she recognizes you.

I'm not exactly in that field, I handle the business end of the ER so I know a little bit about a lot of things.

I don't think you'd be putting anyone in a compromising position. If they can't or won't answer, they'll simply tell you that and be done with it.

5. gsusnake

And to everyone else:

Your current CPR card is as important as your GFL. If you're going to go out of your way to be prepared to handle any situation involving a gun, you should go out of your way to be prepared to handle a first aid/CPR situation.

I'm not saying you have to take first responder training (although I highly recommend it) but a Saturday basic CPR class could save someone's life.

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Is that free; and if so, where can I get this training? [in the Statesboro area]

7. bags

bags New Member

My corpsman said bad CPR is better than none!

And thanks for the info, I'll swing by there tomorrow

8. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Any ideas on this in the northern Atlanta suburbs? I was an EMT and volunteer firefighter when I lived in MD, and ended up dropping my certification to the First Responder level before I left. I am signed up for a CPR course here at work in August, but wouldn't mind having a little more training based on how things are done in GA as well.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Why? After you shoot 'em, don't the holes just squirt blood every time you do a chest compression?

:?

:lol:

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Not if you shoot them in the head - it just makes mouth to mouth a little messy.

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

If you volunteer/work even a little for the ARC, they offer their classes for free. Otherwise, their FR course is something like $80.

Since you're from MD, you probably haven't used any HOPE money yet, right? You can probably qualify for HOPE and take classes for free at a technical college. I just submitted my application for HOPE last week. I hope to start EMT-B classes this October, but I don't know how soon my application will be approved.

12. gsusnake

+1.

I got mine through work.

It's fairly cheap and you can get it at most tech schools, or from the Red Cross.

13. gsusnake

Yes.

14. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Before my wife got totally pissed at hospitals, etc. and "retired" (her word... I called it quitting!) she was an RN in coronary care and did CPR pretty much on a daily basis. She tells me there is a correct way to do it, but even incorrect is better than nothing. Much like what bags said.

She also said, most of us have seen it on TV often enough we could do a half-way decent job until the trained people arrive.

So, if you're ever in the situation where "someone" should be doing it, jump right in and do your best! The poor bastard who's stroked out really won't care if you crack a rib or two, as long as he's around long enough to complain about having cracked ribs...!

I had lunch yesterday with a good friend who is recently out of hospital after his latest heart episode. He stroked out in a mall and some strangers kept him alive until EMS/Fire & Rescue arrived. He was in CCU for three months, two of them in a coma, but he's doing better now. Not exactly "OK", but better. Certainly better than being dead!

He also has a hospital bill in excess of one million dollars that Ford is paying! I told him, he's the reason the company is in financial trouble... :-({|=

But, he didn't seem too concerned.......... :)

15. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Trickum and Sandy Plains is like...2 miles from my house. :-D

I practically live on the corner of Trickum and Jamerson. :shock: 8)

16. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'm actually looking into using HOPE to pay for POST training to join the Forsyth Sheriff Dept Reserve Unit. Any LEO's on here should be able to verify that I'd get FR through that.

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That sounds great! I was :woohoo: and planned to join the Fulton County Sherrif's Reserve for about 10 minutes. Then I found out that I'm not old enough :(

Age discrimination! :lol:

18. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I will have to attend 11 weeks of training, but fortunately my company has a program which offers up to 3 months per year of paid time off for community related work. I am looking into getting the time off approved, and I don't see how they would try and fight this. Who knows, but we will find out.

19. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey budder:

Don't feel too bad about being too young........... it's far, far worse to discover you're too old! :cry: