Georgia Packing banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
MrMorden said:
ptsmith24 said:
Yea, $450 is a little bit low...You can get an upper for around that, I think. But then you have to throw on another couple hundred or so for the rest. I guess if you just had the upper, it'd be a really expensive blow dart gun :lol:
Go do some reading on AR15.com before you all ridicule me. There are several guys out there that claim to have put together ARs for less than $500...I think the lowest build I saw was $418.

This is not going to be an LMT upper and a Bushmaster lower that you just slap together. This is going to be carefully shopping around and buying individual parts like barrel, barrel nut, delta ring, sight base, etc. You are going to have to build it from the ground up. Some of the parts might be used, and others are from other people's aborted projects.

Sure, if "build it yourself" to you means buying a complete upper and slapping it on a complete lower, you are going to be in it for a minimum of $750. But that's not what I'm talking about.
Shipping would probably begin to not be worth it if you broke the parts down to every little thing.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
Shipping would probably begin to not be worth it if you broke the parts down to every little thing.
*That* might be true, unless you could somehow face-to-face the transactions.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
To me, doing it the way I did it (LPK, Lower, Upper) was a good balance between price and convenience (as far as getting parts, time spent building it, etc.)

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
Thorsen said:
I'd be forced to use a lever action Winchester 30-30 if the SHTF. I really should start saving up and buy myself an AR-15.
It was the assault rifle of it's time. It still is a rifle to be reckoned with.

I bought mine in reverse order. I bought my Bushie a while ago, but picked up my 30-30 last weekend.

My neighbor has been tauting the reliability of AKs, but i've seen his fail more than my AR. My only failure was a Wolf round that had a neck way beyond spec and got jammed. His AK, failures from magazines all the way to last weekend where i had to get a rubber mallet so he could get his bolt unjammed. It's not something i'd trust for SHTF. (I don't trust Wolf either, but that's why it's only a plinking round and not what i've got in stock for SHTF)

I remember the first time i ever bought a gun. (too bad i bought a POS) but still, the pawn shop guy asked me "How much is your life worth?". Remember that when you are buying a weapon to save your life. The last thing you want going through your mind right before you die is that "I should have bought a better weapon". My two most trusted weapons, i have over 1000.00 each in. Just because you spend that kind of money doesn't mean it's the best, you have to test, test, test. I have tested and I'm glad i spent the money on quality. If/when i need them to come into service, i trust them to not let me down.

Charge it if you have to. When SHTF, money won't mean squat. If SHTF, you won't be worried about the credit card bill eh?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,017 Posts
$400

My life's only worth a $400 battle rifle. The AK-47 clones for $300 will suit me just fine. I've owned many and fired many more, and they all worked great. Gimme a couple 30-round mags for $10 each and half a case of Wolf 123-grain HP ammo for maybe $80 and I'm ready for anything that's not flying nor crawling on tracks.

If that set-up isn't good enough to save me, then I guess it was just my time to go!

If I pay $1500 for a weapon, it's because I want to. It's a hobby. A sport. But for serious business, no playing, an AK, SKS, Mini-14, or CETME will all be OK by me.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
At least you're honest.

I put a higher value on myself. I've only got one shot (pun intended) at life. I'm hanging out as long as i possibly can. Even if it's heck on earth.

Technically, you should be alright with your choice. I just hope you've tested your weapons to make sure you can depend on them.

That's what's important.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
JiG said:
Charge it if you have to. When SHTF, money won't mean squat. If SHTF, you won't be worried about the credit card bill eh?
As long as the SHTF before the bill is due, that works for me.

:lol:

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Any one knows when the SWHTF, cause I could outfit an complete armory with that knowledge, better than the lottery :)

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Re: $400

gunsmoker said:
If I pay $1500 for a weapon, it's because I want to. It's a hobby. A sport. But for serious business, no playing, an AK, SKS, Mini-14, or CETME will all be OK by me.
Sure, there's nothing wrong with an AK, I have one myself, and I'd like to have an SKS also. But you just have to recognize their limitations, and know that you won't be able to reliably hit targets much past 150 meters, especially if they are moving and trying not to be hit. :wink:

Like everything else about firearms, it comes down to preference. Use what you like and to hell with everybody else!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
when I do invest in a SHTF rifle, it will be this

after I sell the house, it will be my first purchase, and maybe also a grand as well.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I go with the AK for SHTF situations. For what some spend on a single AR, I can New York reload with the AK 3 or 4 times. And have money left for ammo.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
fallison said:
I go with the AK for SHTF situations. For what some spend on a single AR, I can New York reload with the AK 3 or 4 times. And have money left for ammo.
I have both. Feeding them is probably the only issue.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
I'm not going to advocate any particular rifle for SHTF. There are too many people with "brand" loyalty who will talk bad about everyone else's "Brand".

You have to think Long term. Assume that the "Crisis" will last for possibly years. Not weeks.

I'll leave you with a couple of thoughts.

1) Reliabilty.
- Every time you pull the trigger it needs to work. However this does not mean that it needs to be something you can ignore until you need it. If you Ignore the upkeep of your weapons then you do not need weapons, be it a Rifle, a pistol, or an axe.

2) Ease of maintenance
- How easy is it to disassemble, clean and repair? A $2000 Battle rifle is a real expensive club if a $0.25 spring breaks and you can't fix it. which leads us into the next area...

3) Commonality
-How easy would it be to find repair parts, magazines and ammo after the SHTF? That G3 may be really cool, but if it breaks you are not going to find too many stores open to order the parts for you.

4) Ease of use.
- You are going to have to use this weapon to defend your life, against multiple targets at 3AM on Febuary 14th in the Snow after walking 20+ miles and not sleeping for over 36 hours. You must know how to use this weapon without thinking, at a moments notice. If you are carrying the weapon loaded, slung, and on safe can you hit a target with two well aimed rounds in under 3 seconds? [/list]

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
If the S Truly HTF, I would go with the Mosin M38/44 and maybe 20 rounds of ammo. First guy you see with an AR or AK, shoot him and take it. It's not SHTF if you're still considering the rights, wrongs and social order of things.

7.62x51 will drop somebody more reliably than .556 or 7.62 and you're a lot more likely to look over your sights than just sling lead in the general direction. Also easier to talk your way out of if you get caught with it someplace it shouldn't be while waiting for SHTF.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
foshizzle said:
7.62x51 will drop somebody more reliably than .556 or 7.62 and you're a lot more likely to look over your sights than just sling lead in the general direction. Also easier to talk your way out of if you get caught with it someplace it shouldn't be while waiting for SHTF.
So.... FAL it is, then? :D

·
68,160 Posts
foshizzle said:
It's not SHTF if you're still considering the rights, wrongs and social order of things.
Always consider right and wrong. I am with curtdiss on this one.

My rifle is to protect me and my family, not to pillage and murder.

What a terrible thing you have posted.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts