Georgia Packing banner

41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Professional Troll
2,116 Posts
Rammstein said:
He can just borrow one can't he? He's already got a source. :D
He can just borrow one of Malum's ties...

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
No need for the ties at this time. I picked all the right numbers. They just drew the wrong ones. :evil:

I guess I won't be buying everyone Bushmasters this time around.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
If you want to go cheap, there is none better than Mosin-Nagant. Reliable, inexpensive, fairly cheap practice ammo. I love mine, have three, M91/30, M38, M44. Look to spend from $70-150 on any one of these. M44 is most plentiful in stock, followed by M91/30, then M38. M91/30 is full length rifle, 38 and 44 are carbines.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I can cycle a clean and well-oiled bolt action *very* quickly. The only drawback to the M-44 is the 5 round capacity, but it comes with a builtin bayonet! 8)

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Yep! The M-N's are built like tanks, they will take a beating. So if the S really HTF, you could use it as a club, or with bayonet extended, it makes an acceptable short spear!!! :lol:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I understand money is a constant thing, especially w/ a family. IF if does HTF, do you want your life depending on something cheap? Compromises do have to be made, but use what you have now, practice with it and be proficient. Another gun will not be too hard to come by, if it is really needed. I am always against selling a gun. I have, and with one exception, regret it. The money will be gone and you will not have your gun. A .357 is a great all around handgun. Do your part and 75 yard hits are not hard.

I like Ruger firearms, and as such, the Mini-14 w/ a synthetic stock and stainless finish is unbeatable. I have had an AR-15 type, and was not impressed. It has to be kept clean. Even during a hurricane. The Ruger just keeps on shooting. It will take some diligent shopping and luck to get under $350-$400. I also like .223 ammo for the job description. This is the round the National Guard will be carrying, as will all of the SWAT teams. Push comes to shove, you can also make use of their guns. If you are trying to defend your home, it will have all the range you can use, and if a mob is heading your way, they will be easily discouraged when the lead starts flying. The ones who are not, will be examples of why they should have been.

I don't remember if you mentioned a 12 ga. Haunt the pawn shops this time of year and you can find a decent pump for $100-125. I just lucked into a beat up, but fully functional, Mossberg for $62.00. I could not believe it. It ain't purty, but it has a new home. It can be modified by me to suit me and I am out nothing. 4 or 5 12ga rounds will discourage a lot of anti-social behavior.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Sgt.B said:
Adam5, take a look at the M1 Garand. $500 from the CMP. They have ammo also. 30-06

Before you buy anything I would like to let you borrow one of my books. Boston's Gun Bible by Boston T. Party. Lots of great info IMHO. Not only the book but I'll let ya " dance " with one of my girls :lol: I'll let ya shoot a 1953 service grade.

I am at Bullseye in Cumming every Tuesday night for the USPSA match. Just let me know when.

Now I'm not doing this because I'm a nice guy. ya don't know me yet :lol:

I think the S___ will hit the fan one day and when it does I want you and every PATRIOT to have a Battle Rifle. I want you to be able to hit man size targets out to 500 yards from field positions-- not from a bench but in the dirt like a grunt. I'll tell ya about that later. When you hold that rifle in your hands, sling on your arm and everything is tight and you own everything within 500 yards, It's a feeling I don't have words to describe.

So if ya want to shoot a rifle ya don't have to clean and ammo ya don't have to buy let me know. PM, email or get word to me from the guys at Bullseye.

Man, I hope I didn't scare ya. :lol:
Ok, I'm liking Sgt. B more and more... great minds and all.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Well, my SU-16A was just over $400, I think. It has several things going for it:

1) Takes very common AR mags and ammo.
2) Under 6lbs. and folds in half- useful in a bug-out situation
3) Mag storage in the stock. It's sitting in the closet with 60rds on board right now.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Here's a couple of alternatives. I'm assuming that your budget is around $400 and that you want something more accurate than an AK (nothing wrong with an AK, but I like more accuracy in a SHTF gun).

1) You can part together an AR15 for about $450. A little above your budget, but you'll get something far more accurate than an SKS/AK, and with more readily available parts and accessories. ARs are great for SHTF because they are like erector sets...with the right tools you can swap out just about any part in minutes. Also, spare parts like springs, bolts, and firing pins are cheap and readily available. Note this will only work if you build it your self, otherwise it will be outside your budget. But building an AR is pretty easy.

2) Join an affiliated organization and get a rack grade M1 Garand from the CMP. Even the rack grade guns are a little more accurate than an AK...you can clean it up and check it out, and later down the road you can turn it into a tack driver with probably just a barrel change. It's a battle tested design, and fires a manstopper of a round (.30-06). You can also get good, cheap ammo through the CMP. This is worlds better than an SKS, and down the road you can sell it for way more than you have paid for it.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Haha - an M-44 would work JUST fine if you know how to work that action quickly and get back on target and fire. Stripper clips will make the reload quick. :D

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I'd be forced to use a lever action Winchester 30-30 if the SHTF. I really should start saving up and buy myself an AR-15.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Malum Prohibitum said:
MrMorden said:
1) You can part together an AR15 for about $450.
Really? :D
I'm withyou on that one MP. I paid $650 used for mine. I almost built one, but it would have cost the same and been more of a P.I.T.A. than buying one off the rack .

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Yea, $450 is a little bit low...You can get an upper for around that, I think. But then you have to throw on another couple hundred or so for the rest. I guess if you just had the upper, it'd be a really expensive blow dart gun :lol:

·
16,485 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
Yea, $450 is a little bit low...You can get an upper for around that, I think. But then you have to throw on another couple hundred or so for the rest. I guess if you just had the upper, it'd be a really expensive blow dart gun :lol:
Maybe Mr Morden meant Air Rifle ;)

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
Go do some reading on AR15.com before you all ridicule me. There are several guys out there that claim to have put together ARs for less than $500...I think the lowest build I saw was $418.

This is not going to be an LMT upper and a Bushmaster lower that you just slap together. This is going to be carefully shopping around and buying individual parts like barrel, barrel nut, delta ring, sight base, etc. You are going to have to build it from the ground up. Some of the parts might be used, and others are from other people's aborted projects.

Sure, if "build it yourself" to you means buying a complete upper and slapping it on a complete lower, you are going to be in it for a minimum of $750. But that's not what I'm talking about.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts