Inexpensive SHTF rifle?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have no money to spend right now, but I've started thinking about my next gun purchase. I don't have a .45 (I miss my Baby Eagle) or a SHTF rifle. I'm leaning towards getting a SHTF rifle next.

Here's what I have: Glock 17, Springfield XD-9 5" (wifes), Walther PPK/S, Ruger Security Six 6" .357 Mag, Hi Point 9mm Carbine (With ATI Stock), and an 1891 Argentine Mauser (7.65 x 53).

Budget will be a major issue when I purchase. Should I look at an AK or SKS? Has anyone here fired a Saiga? It's an AK design made at the Russian IZHMASH plant. Here's a link to it.

Saiga Rifle I was thinking about getting it in .223. There's a dealer in Blue Ridge that has them for $255 in 20" and $260 in 16".

I would like an AR, but can't budget one. Any other suggestions?

2. rajl

rajl Guest

Mosin-Nagant M-44 is inexpensive and gets the point across very nicely. Makes for a very nice trunk gun.

SKS's are cheap and excellent. Same cartride as an AK, but about $150 plus transfer fees from aimsurplus for unused Yugo's versus $400 or so for a new AK. You can replace the standard mag for something with higher capacity very easily too.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

SHTF Rifle on a budget

The best SHTF rifle on a budget is the SKS. It fires the popular 7.62 X 39 round which can be found almost anywhere. It, like it more famous relative the AK-47, is a reliable, battle proven weapon. It has a fixed 10 round magazine and is typically loaded by stripper clips or one round at a time. With practice, stripper clip reloads can be fairly quick. It is not the most accurate rifle in the world but it will do it's job out to reasonable distances. A good model can be found for under $250 and if you do your shopping on the internet, you maybe able to get one under $175.

4. Montieth

Montieth Active Member

Isn't 7.62x39 getting harder to get? What with all the stocks being sent to Iraq for our new ally?

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just about any AK variant.

The SKS is a little bigger and harder to quickly retrieve from wherever you are likely to keep it when not in use. Any AK variant is short, and easier to reload. Also handles better with the proper furniture (i.e., ditch the thumbhole stock).

6. Malum Prohibitum

What's wrong with the Mauser?

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Well I am buying "battle bricks" of the stuff with no problem. I have heard that it is harder to find because of that reason but I have got someone locally.

I do agree that the AK is the better SHTF rifle but you can't beat the SKS for the price which I think is the point that I am trying to make to the orginal poster.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

There's nothing at all wrong with it. I want a semi-auto with readily available ammo. 7.65 ARG (7.65 x 53) is hard to come by, and I don't reload. That's why I'm thinking 7.62 x 39 or .223. The problem with the HiPoint is that it's a pistol round, and I want a SHTF rifle that fires a legitimate rifle round.

9. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

Mauser

I have an 8mm mauser and it is great!

10. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Not sure exactly what you are going to do with it and how much are you going to spend.

Is it a SHTF car gun or a SHTF house gun?

1) Mosin-Nagant rifle. They are cheap and powerfull. Great gun to keep in your trunk. If it gets stolen you are only out about $50-100. Looks like a hunting rifles so less hassle from a LEO that might see it in your car. This gun wouldn't be my first choice as a SHTF house gun.

2) An SKS. They are great, and semi-auto. Like others said you'd do just fine with one of these in a SHTF situation. I think you can get one of these for about $150. Some cops might see these as "assault weapons" though. Might get hasseled by a LEO. You won't be out too much if it gets stolen.

3) A cheap AK. I think this is your best option but they are a little more pricey so you won't regret it in the long run. I'm not sure if you want to leave a $350-400 rifle in your car trunk and risk it being stolen. You cannot go wrong with one of these in a SHTF though. If a cop sees it you will probably be hasselled like a criminal. In a "Katrina" type situation an AK screems to the cops "Take me away!" I think it is the perfect cheap SHTF rifle.

11. Malum Prohibitum

I think it screams to the cops, "Take me away . . . if you dare," in a Katrina situation.

:lol:

One more reason to urge today that HB 6 be brought to a vote on the floor of the House.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I think I'm leaning towards getting a Saiga. Price wise, it splits the difference between an SKS and an AK. It's NIB and and is lighter than either SKS or AK, and is an AK action. I if I get the 16" barrel mobility wouldn't be a problem. The question is, .223 or 7.62 x 39? Neither is expensive, the .223 is a little cheaper and the 7.62 has a little more power. Both are readily available.

13. Foul

Foul Guest

I have both SKSes and 2 flavors of Mosins. I just load up like a fiend on the ammo. Both have dies and brass for reloading.

As a side note...a Mosin wouldn't be a bad investment when you get the chance. They can double for an exellent hunting rifle that can take down most North American game...including black bears from some reports I've read.

Both are very rugged and reliable...throw them in a mud puddle and they'll still fire.

ps. SOME models of SKSes can be modified with pistol grip/folding stocks and high cap mags. Even Yugos can be modified if you play the 10 and under game to make it 922R compliant.

14. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

CETME

The guy already has a Hi-Point carbine, so I would think that he's covered for short-range work. If you want to reach out to 300 or 500 yards, and if you want a rifle round that will penetrate cover, crack engine blocks, etc. I think it should be at least a 7.62 x39, but preferably a 7.62 x 51 (.308 Win.) And it should be accurate enough to hit targets at those distances, too.

In my experience, an SKS is more accurate than an AK. But the only AK's I've tested have been Chinese and Bulgarian (or was it Romanian?).
    My Norinco SKS gets the same group sizes as any other open-sighted rifle I've fired except for the M1 Garand and the M1A. But the SKS does match my Mini-14, Winchester 94, G.I. .30 Carbine, and an H&R single-shot rifle.

How about a CETME? This is a semi-auto version of the German G3 and the H&K 91 battle rifle. They assemble these in the USA from mostly imported military surplus parts, with new American-made receivers, and the finished rifle is very accurate, rugged, reliable, powerful (.308 caliber), and uses cheap and plentiful 20-round magazines. One of my friends got one of these a couple years ago for $350. Oh, and the muzzle break is the most effective one I've ever seen. Literally zero muzzle climb. The gun pushed gently straight back, but did not lift up at all.

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Re: CETME

Exactly, I can reach out with my 7.65 x 53 Mauser, but it gets alot of muzzle rise and I want a semi auto instead of bolt.

I'll probably get an SKS or the 7.62 Saiga.

16. Sgt.B

Sgt.B New Member

Adam5, take a look at the M1 Garand. $500 from the CMP. They have ammo also. 30-06

Before you buy anything I would like to let you borrow one of my books. Boston's Gun Bible by Boston T. Party. Lots of great info IMHO. Not only the book but I'll let ya " dance " with one of my girls :lol: I'll let ya shoot a 1953 service grade.

I am at Bullseye in Cumming every Tuesday night for the USPSA match. Just let me know when.

Now I'm not doing this because I'm a nice guy. ya don't know me yet :lol:

I think the S___ will hit the fan one day and when it does I want you and every PATRIOT to have a Battle Rifle. I want you to be able to hit man size targets out to 500 yards from field positions-- not from a bench but in the dirt like a grunt. I'll tell ya about that later. When you hold that rifle in your hands, sling on your arm and everything is tight and you own everything within 500 yards, It's a feeling I don't have words to describe.

So if ya want to shoot a rifle ya don't have to clean and ammo ya don't have to buy let me know. PM, email or get word to me from the guys at Bullseye.

Man, I hope I didn't scare ya. :lol:

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I may have to take you up on that offer. I live about 5 minutes from Bullseye and am there about once a week or so. I'll bring my 1891 Argentine Mauser (7.65 x 53) and return the favor if you want.

18. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

i may be brain dead,to much work to little sleep,but what is an SHTF rifle

19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

SHTF = S**t Hits The Fan

20. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Basically, for a bad situation that would make a pistol useless. Like if Russian paratroopers start falling from the sky. :D