Incorrect info on GFL?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Happy, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Happy

Happy New Member

Just got my GFL in the mail and they messed up my address. :?
    What should I do? Between it and my driver's license, it's pretty obvious they dropped a number (1234 became 123) but at the same time, it is incorrect. I'm not chomping at the bit to carry, but I am kind of leary of havign to wait another 4+ months to get one with the correct info on it.

Thanks,
    James

2. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Gov't clerks make mistakes, plain and simple. LEs know this, too. Recently an LE noticed that my street name and AVE ran together on my driver's license. I told them that was the 2nd mistake they made and I was tired of returning to the DMV to have it fixed. He told me he understood.

As for my GFL, the address has been out of date for sometime since I've moved so much in GA. However, I can never get a straight answer out of the Probate Court about updating my GFL to show the correct address. I actually was at the Fulton County Probate Court to fill out paperwork with my wife for our marriage license, and I took the opportunity to ask about updating my GFL address. The lady was clueless. :roll: After attempting to articulate my question for the 3RD time on whether I need to update my GFL with my current address, I finally gave up. I think I'm scarred from so many LEs complaining to me that my GA driver's license MUST have my current address within 30 days of moving.

Oh, the lady at the Probate Court office was kind enough to tell me my license was not just valid for Fulton County, but for the entire state. :shock: Wow I thought to myself...I...did...not...know...that.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It does not matter if your address is incorrect on your GFL. There is no requirement to change the information if you move. The only time I would even suggest getting it updated is if you have have moved inside the same county, costs $5. If you have changed counties or moved out of state then just ignore the incorrect address.

Happy, if you were to go back to have it fixed it should only take 10-15 minutes, you should not be charged anything as it was their screw up, but they may not care and charge you $5. On the other hand since a current address is not required to be on the GFL you can always just ignore the missing number and carry.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would go back and complain. They ought to be able to reissue you a correct one.

You wouldn't put up with this level of service from Home Depot, would you?

I just don't want to have to explain to a police officer why I gave him two different addresses . . .

Make them change it.

There is absolutely no reason to have to wait any time at all to get a knew one because of the Probate Court's typo. You did not say which county, but some of the outlying counties are actually friendly about this sort of thing.

5. Happy

Happy New Member

It's Cobb County.
    Going there to have it fixed means I would have to take time off of work and see about it. Not worth it to me if it's not crucial.

Thanks,
    James