Incident in Rome, GA on 5/23/18

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by Glockenator, May 24, 2018.

1. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

My daughter lives in Rome. She called yesterday to tell us about something that happened. Do any Romans know about this? According to her, a person went into the Rome GSP office and threatened to kill everyone there. Then he turned around, walked out, and disappeared. Why he was not immediately apprehended, I have no idea.

Later, she was grocery shopping at Food Lion (?), and a dude comes in and is acting like an employee there, but had no uniform, employee badge, etc. He walks by her and her boyfriend, makes eye contact, and they smile at each other. Shortly thereafter, the place is swarming with cops. But the person apparently got away again.

Then, someone was shot and killed near the Rome Walmart. I don't know if the mystery person was involved in that.

This is all 3rd hand "knowledge" from me. I'm sure things were misunderstood, etc. Does anyone who lives around Rome know what really happened with all of this?

2. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com...cle_d9703f84-5ed6-11e8-971e-6f2f520089f8.html

Officers with four local law enforcement agencies launched a manhunt in Armuchee Wednesday after a man threatened a Georgia State Patrol worker with a gun.

According to Tracey N. Watson of the GSP's public information office and local police scanner traffic:

The incident started about 4:19 p.m. when a man walked into the Rome GSP Post, 3386 Martha Berry Highway, drew a handgun from the back of his pants and threatened to shoot a woman. He fled without hurting anyone.

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Not everyone that works for GSP is a sworn Peace Officer. Simply threatened an office worker at GSP when no Trooper was present.

4. Glockenator

My daughter happened to be unarmed when the (apparent) dude smiled at her in Food Lion. She had given back my loaner Glock 43 last weekend. I just bought her a Shield 9mm, so she will be better prepared next time something like that happens in that area.

Rome seems to be a small big city. A fair amount of crime happens there. She actually had 6 cops inside her house a few days ago (but that is another story, and wasn't a crime - just a scare).

5. psrumors

psrumors Well-Known Member

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I doubt it since that happened about 3 weeks ago. Crazy woman from Cedartown with delusions of police harassment and probably off her meds. She tried to run from a traffic stop in Cave Spring and ended up near the Rome east-side Wal-Mart where she decided it would be fun to shoot at the cops. The cops weren't amused.

http://www.northwestgeorgianews.com...cle_9789655a-522e-11e8-98dd-97568f7630fe.html

7. moe mensale

Yes, it is and there is. Lots of drugs run through here according to my Sheriff's Deputy neighbor.

8. Glockenator

Well, dang. What a huge cluster...k, on all counts. My daughter probably gets all of her news from Facebook. I tried my best to raise that girl right, but I did not succeed in some regards.

There appears corruption in the Rome cops too. A guy she was dating, who happened to be a firefighter, was shot dead in his driveway. The murderer was not charged with anything, since his family knows someone high up in politics in Rome. Then again, maybe all of that came from Facebook news...and she believes it.

9. moe mensale

Facebook is a cancer.
    It probably has its share. I don't know.
    Tex McIver was pretty well connected too in GA. Didn't work out too good for him though.