Incident from Saturday 8-11-2007

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by wsweeks2, Aug 14, 2007.

1. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

So this past Saturday, my fiancée and I went downtown to the Archdiocese of Atlanta for our one day Pre-Cana workshop. As it was a “church function†and off limits under O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127 (b), I was unarmed while in attendance. When it came time for lunch, we were given an hour and ventured out to get a bite to eat. She wanted Moe’s, but I said no since the GA Legislature somehow feels that being in the presence of alcohol will intoxicate me (or my Glock) and that it will be a danger to the public. We settled on Arby’s (I know, 5 star dining at its finest).

All was fine until we were leaving and she wanted to get a milkshake for the road. While waiting for the milkshake, a guy who was obviously up to no good came in the establishment. Here it is almost 100 degress outside and he’s wearing jeans and a long sleeve thermal shirt. It was an African male, 5’8†– 5’10†weighing about 150-160 lbs. He was visibly impaired and began pounding on the counter and shouting at the people who worked there. Then he began walking through the dining area yelling at the customers. That’s when I told my better half to head for the door. As we’re heading for the door, he quickly reached towards his waistband, at which time I physically pushed her out the door and we made a bee line for the car. While I was unlocking the doors, this clown comes out of the establishment and heads right towards us. I very loudly told him to stop. He didn’t. I was able to get in the car and backed out of my parking space. Once I got in the car, I removed my gun and holster from inside my waistband so the holstered gun was sitting on my lap.

I back out and start to pull away when this clown begins pounding on the window of the car where I am sitting in an obvious attempt to break it. I pulled the gun out of the holster and pointed it at him with a verbal warning to back away. His eyes got pretty big at this point and he immediately put his hands up and backed away from the car. I called 911 to report him as he was urgently walking away down Spring Street.

My formerly anti-gun fiancée was completely freaked out. After she calmed down, her first comment was “I never thought I would truly see the day when I was glad to have a gun around me.†She also said that the next free weekend we have that she wants to go to the range, and that now she is considering applying for her GFL.

My summation of the events:

Situational awareness is everything. I noticed the guy before he came in the door, and was ready should he have come in and drawn.

When the situation presented itself, I made sure that me and my loved one were out the door.

I avoided the confrontation at all cost. When I told him to stop, I had already surveyed the situation, and based on the geography of where I was and where he was, it would have been safe to fire at him at that time if justified.

Had I not had my gun with me, I was not in a position to flee once in the car unless I wanted to ram other vehicles and there was no way out. I did what I felt was the last viable option before I was left with no choice.

My fiancée was the one to point out that my finger never touched the trigger the entire time (impressive that even under stress it’s burned in my head, and even more impressive that she noticed this)

All in all, it’s a situation I never hope to be in again, but I feel that I took every necessary step to avoid the worst case scenario from happening all while protecting what’s important to me.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

wow.

I'm not sure if I would tell him to run off or tell him to hit the deck and not move or get shot. Either way, you showed great SA and did everything right.

3. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Sounds well handled and a bottom line plus since the missus to be is gonna be much more pro now!

4. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

:shock: So the guy just started chasing you out of the Arby's!?!?

Good job on keeping your cool and attempting to avoid all confrontation.

5. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I'm not a LEO and I had somewhere I had to be in a relatively short time. I called to report the location and what happened. They didn't seem too concerned so I wasn't at that point. We were both safe and that was the most important thing.

The one thing I forgot to add is that when the adrenaline hits, it hits. I think it was a good 30 minutes before I completely had a normal heart rate.

6. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Part of me is glad that I didn't have pepper spray on me as he would have gotten it as soon as he came in based on how he was acting. He was close enough to me that I could have almost reached him and my fiancee was between the two of us at first. I pulled her back behind me instinctively. I'm not sure what his problem was with us and why he followed. I have a feeling that had I been OCing he wouldn't have done what he did though.

7. tace

tace New Member

Kudos, you did everything just right. :righton:

Something needs to be done about downtown ATL. I had several coworkers who were robbed on their way to their car in the parking deck. Many other CWs cars have been broken into. Those crazy ppl walking around are more than a nuisance.

8. Claire

Claire New Member

glad to hear you both avoided any further confrontation.
    sounds like you handled the whole thing really well.

Do you know if the cops made it to the area to stop him?

and you avoided Moe's cause they serve alcohol - instead ran into an alcohol and/or drug induced idiot - go figure.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

=D> Sounds like you handled it well.

Question: When you called 911, did you mention anything about drawing on him? It isn't clear from your story and I'm just curious. I also assume he was the only one to see you draw (along with your fiancee).

10. oxfat

oxfat New Member

I am sure glad neither of you were hurt! Who knows what this guy was capable of.

I'll bet both of you had trouble concentrating during the afternoon.

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

No, I didn't mention it at all. No shots were fired, and as no one else saw, all of the witnesses inside the restaurant could corroborate the story as to how things went down inside.

No need to give them information that could only change how they treat me upon arrival had that been the case.

Big understatement.

12. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Holy cow! (as the late great Phil Rizzuto would say)

Man I am glad to hear you're both ok!

And you had a thread a few weeks back about your OC questions regarding your other half.

So much for those worries!

13. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Her first question was to ask why I wasn't OCing. The irony is that I hid it to show her that I can compromise. :roll:

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Police are probably still looking for ptsmith24.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:ninja:

17. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

:shock:

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Were you the only one(s) leaving?

20. Malum Prohibitum