Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as I value y'all's opinions, please help me out. I have a chance to pick up a NIB Rock River Arms A4 Varmint rifle with 16" bull barrel and 6 position stock for $800. I want to have a weapon in AR platform that will serve multiple roles (small game hunting, target shooting, and SHTF/HD if needed). I've heard that these barrels are pretty darn accurate, which is a good thing. Some other forums have said that the weight will be a problem with the bull, but to be honest, when I shoulder this rifle, it doesn't seem that much heavier than the lite barrels. Anyway, is this a good deal for the price and is it a good deal for what I want it for? I think so, but I like my opinions to be critiqued. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
847 Posts
It seems that the only thing this gun has that's not typical is a 16" bull barrel.

Do you really need that?

That's the question I'd be asking. If this is to be a utility rifle (which AR's are great for hence the genius and popularity of that platform)......getting a bull barrel would mean you're putting a priority on accuracy and sacrificing weight and maybe a little $$$.

So is it worth it for your needs? For varmint hunting, regular 16" barrels are plenty accurate. And if you're wanting to get into prairie dog hunting....or otherwise shooting at small targets at over 300 yards, 16" ain't gonna cut it no matter what kind of barrel it is.

So if you're looking at 16" AR's with adjustable buttstocks that don't necessarily have to be bull barrelled.......you can probably save about $100 by going with a bushmaster or some other type brand.

The differences among Bushie, DPMS, RRA, DoubleStar, etc are IMO negligible. At that price range, they're pretty much all the same.

But at $800, that's not a bad price at all. Just ask yourself if the 'bull barrel' is worth it cause you can get 'regular' AR's for $699 nowadays. Is there some other way you'd rather spend $100? Ammo? Mags? Furniture? Optics?

That's the REAL fun of AR's....and the real $$$ sucker....accessories!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts