In Milton, traditional gun use clashes with suburban life.

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Watch_Their_Hands, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

Some more of AJC bending of public opinion. :evil: Feel free to email the writer with your comments. I did. :wink:

By Doug Nurse dnurse@ajc.com
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 03/07/07

Vince Pisano was jolted awake in November by a gunshot blast that sounded like it was just outside the window of his upscale suburban Milton home.

"I couldn't believe someone would be shooting near my home," Pisano said. "It was someone bird hunting. There's a lake 600 feet from my home. There's a deer stand 50 feet from my property line. I was shocked to learn it's legal. It's rural here, but it's not wide open."

Milton, which fancies itself as a pastoral retreat amid metro Atlanta, is facing a clash between public safety and America's love affair with firearms.

Most cities outlaw firing guns within their city limits except to protect life or property or both, but Milton's ordinances thus far are silent, except to ban the weapons from parks. State law prohibits firearms for deer hunting in Fulton County, and the use of guns in public areas, such as churches and schools.

The gun issue came up briefly in a City Council discussion of a proposed noise ordinance, but no decision was made.

"I don't know enough about it to really have an opinion," said Mayor Joe Lockwood. "Where do you draw the line? If you're so many acres, it's OK; if you're so many, it's not?"

Councilwoman Tina D'Aversa Williams said that while she's sympathetic to people worried about guns going off near their homes, she sees both sides of the issue and knows this new city will soon have to take up the issue.

"I don't want them going off around my kids either," she said. "We know we're going to have to address it. Half the people are in support of having the opportunity to bear arms, and half we say we're concerned."

It's no wonder the City Council isn't eager to take on the issue.

In 2005, a bow hunter mortally wounded a deer in Roswell, which staggered into a subdivision and died. Public dismay that people were hunting in woods where kids play prompted that city to address bow hunting. At the same time, the council considered tightening its gun ordinance to be in line with state law. The National Rifle Association jumped in, and the City Council was inundated with letters, calls and e-mails from around the country from gun rights supporters. Ultimately, the city backed off changing its gun ordinance, but passed a law regulating bow hunting in the city limits.

John Bowers, assistant chief of game management for the Georgia Wildlife Resources Division, said state law prohibits cities from banning hunting, but it allows cities to prohibit shooting for public safety reasons.

Bowers said if Milton takes on the issue, it should consider allowing deer hunting with bows.

"There's two ways to control a deer population," he said. "You can do it through responsible hunting or you can do it by hitting them with SUVs."

Frank Rotondo, executive director of the Georgia Association of Chiefs of Police, said it's common for cities to adopt laws prohibiting shooting.

"When it's very rural, you can shoot and you don't have to worry about hitting anything," Rotondo said. "But when you start shooting and bullets are flying over roadways and houses, that's a concern."

On Feb. 2, a Newton County woman in the upstairs bedroom of a house was killed when she was struck by a stray bullet fired by men target-practicing about 150 yards away. Two men have been charged with involuntary manslaughter, a felony.
    Incorporated last December, Milton is half-developed, but most of its 20,000 residents live in suburbs, many of which are surrounded by raw land. Much of the undeveloped property is in horse farms, country clubs, and mansions with expansive grounds.
    Many of the old-timers and longtime hunters concede the days of stalking deer with the family rifle are long gone.

Ralph Rucker, 67, grew up hunting and fishing in the Crabapple area of Milton.
    "I used to shoot rabbits, squirrels, quail, but the last time I hunted in Milton was 20 years ago," he said. "A .22[-caliber bullet] will go a mile, and chances are it's going to hit something. I don't like to say it, but no one needs to be hunting in Milton."
    But others draw the line at giving up hunting and shooting altogether.
    Steve Beecham, 47, who has lived in Milton since 1971, said shooting with rifles should be outlawed, but some provision needs to be made for pistols, small-bore shotguns, and bows.

"I'm a hunter but there are certain areas you don't need to fire a gun," he said. "It depends on how populated it is."

That's not good enough for Pat Martin, 72, who lives off Providence Road in south Milton.

She said there's a lake and creeks near her home and she gets nervous when her grandchildren visit for fear someone will be out there shooting. She said hunters frequent the lake and land behind her house.

"There are woods all around and the kids like to walk around in the woods," she said. "I don't feel like they're safe. There are other places to hunt."

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Re: In Milton, traditional gun use clashes with suburban lif

Lets send GCO up that way to remind them of the legality of this little ordinance.

3. Watch_Their_Hands

That's exactly what I was thinking... :wink:

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Lets send GCO up that way to remind them of the legality of this little ordinance.[/quote:5s6bew4s]

I wonder if they know the fact that ordinance is in violation of state law?

5. Watch_Their_Hands

They may. If so, they are most likely depending on the hope that others do not.

6. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Bullets flying over roads and houses??????

First off, I thought that there where hunting regs, Like you are reqiured by law to where 500 sq. inches of bright orange when you go into the woods during hunting season. So I say if the kids want to go play in the rural woods where there is known hunting, they are to wear an orange vest. :lol: :lol:
    As far as Mr. Pisano is concerned if you are 500 feet from a residence and a roadway you are allowed to hunt in rural areas unless posted by the owner of the property you hunt on.
    I think that if the city sheeple are going to invade our rural places that they are the ones that just need to get over it or go back to the crime infested cities they migrated from. :rant:
    It would be interesting to see if there are any statistics on acidental hunting / shooting in the big city of Milton and it's surrounding area. :minigun:
    Take care,
    P.S I did like the responce that you could control the deer with hunting or your SUV, that was funny, I don't care who you are.

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Also.... Are these woods public land or a private citezens land. If not public then why are these kids trespassing on private lands to begin with?

8. Watch_Their_Hands

tj2000 Wrote:
    "It would be interesting to see if there are any statistics on accidental hunting shooting in the big city of Milton and it's surrounding area."

Yes, it would. What would you be willing to bet there has not been any. Only more scare tactics, I think. The way they are painting this, you would think that at least several of their very large pop. of 20,000 residents have been accidentally shot, what with all the bullets that are flying over the homes and such... :roll:

The key to addressing this type of misinformation is just as it is stated in the article:

"The National Rifle Association jumped in, and the City Council was inundated with letters, calls and e-mails from around the country from gun rights supporters. Ultimately, the city backed off changing its gun ordinance, but passed a law regulating bow hunting in the city limits."

:wink:

9. USMC - Retired

In the next few months I will be getting last years hunting accident stats from the state. I'll be sure to post them.

10. Watch_Their_Hands

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

C'mon AJC are we doing an article about Milton or Newton County? Are we doing an article on target practice or hunting?

Now don't get me wrong....this was very tragic. But what you had here was a case of two idiots that thought that it would be cool and "gangsta" to shoot a Semi-Auto AK clone in a subdivision. I'll take my chances with hunters in my woods than idiots like this anyday!

12. Watch_Their_Hands

Very sad that they had to mention this incident to bolster their position, while at the same time having a total disregard for the law.

"...except to ban the weapons from parks."

:evil:

13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I will retract my statement and appologize. I was going on what I had been told by a LE aqaintance of mine. Upon further reading it appears the two have no former criminal backgrounds and seem to be remorseful. It was a case of plain stupidity with a firearm.

I may have been wrong in using "gangsta" but I have seen the word "thug" used on this board and on other boards. Some people believe that is a racial epitat. I don't see you jumping on those folks.

I don't intend to engage in flaming posts with you. I have retracted the statement. Let's move on.

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

No offense taken. I should have read up on the facts before I started posting what I had "heard". I was still a little riled up about that and I let my emotions get to me. Trust me, I would love to see more women and minorities involved with us.

When I saw the news report from a few months ago about the African American man that had a GFL and was arrested (Dekalb County, I think?) on a bogus traffic stop, I was furious about another law abiding citizen's rights being violated. Also I think that GCO has a great section dealing with how many of Georgia's gun laws are still steeped in Jim Crow Laws. I never realized that some of the same statues that are still on the books over a hundred years later were designed to deny African Americans the right to bear arms. That really opened my eyes on some things. Things that need to be changed for all of us!

15. USMC - Retired

Can those of us that ARE "southern, white male, ex-military types" still stick around? :lol: