In Mexico, only one gun store but no dearth of violence

Discussion in 'In the News' started by RecoveringYankee, Dec 30, 2010.

1. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03644.html

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'm sure that gun shop isn't the only way civilians can legally buy guns in Mexico.
    Mexico used to have a small but significant percentage of gun owners who were sport shooters.
    Metallic Silhouette shooting came from Mexico.
    Many guns have been chambered in what we would call "odd" calibers (like an M1911 in .38 Super) because the Mexicans were not allowed to have military-caliber weapons, so manufacturers added some different calibers to this line-up to appeal to that Mexican market.

Maybe Mexicans who want to legally own guns can get approval to buy and IMPORT THEM from the U.S. Maybe even mail-order? First they pay for the gun, then they get the paperwork approved, and then they have the gun shipped to their home, or to a local police station for inspection / registration? (I'm just guessing).

If the U.S. banned all gun stores but still allowed guns, I'd do my gun shopping from Canadian gun stores and sporting goods stores, and import what I want.

3. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Yep, that's addressed in the article.

4. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Could the "no dearth of violence" be because MX is virtually a nationwide gun free zone? Criminal gangs commit murder at will and no one can stop them. I'm sure the writer of this article intended it to be anti-gun (those awful Americans, their guns are being smuggled here and used to kill our citizens!) but to me it had the opposite effect: further proof that a disarmed society is more violent than an armed one.

5. Xiclotl

Xiclotl Active Member

Saying there's only one gun store in Mexico reminds me of the South Park episode where they sing, "There's only one road in Canada!".