In any restaurant that serves alcohol?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Mojoski, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

I'm just realizing the limitation on places serving alcohol is not limited to places where the majority of their income comes from alcohol sales (bars)..

Is that correct? I would be breaking the law if I carry to Longhorn Steak House?

Good Lord! That is just stupid!

Am I missing something?

2. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Yes and Yes.

16-11-127. Carrying deadly weapons to or at public gatherings; affirmative defenses.

Statute text
    (a) Except as provided in Code Section 16-11-127.1, a person is guilty of a misdemeanor when he or she carries to or while at a public gathering any explosive compound, firearm, or knife designed for the purpose of offense and defense.
    (b) For the purpose of this Code section, "public gathering" shall include, but shall not be limited to, athletic or sporting events, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises. Nothing in this Code section shall otherwise prohibit the carrying of a firearm in any other public place by a person licensed or permitted to carry such firearm by this part.
    (c) This Code section shall not apply to competitors participating in organized sport shooting events. Law enforcement officers, peace officers retired from state or federal law enforcement agencies, judges, magistrates, solicitors-general, and district attorneys may carry pistols in publicly owned or operated buildings.
    (d) It is an affirmative defense to a violation of this Code section if a person notifies a law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering of the presence of such item as soon as possible after learning of its presence and surrenders or secures such item as directed by the law enforcement officer or other person employed to provide security for a public gathering.

3. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Any place serving alcohol for consumption. That includes that wild and crazy place, PizzaHut and that den of indecency Moe's and those sin palaces of fuddruckers and Houstons. Don't forget about evil Starbucks, some serve locations offer alcohol with their coffee.

McDonalds is fine though, no alcohol there. Subway too.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Wouldn't subway fall under the same restrictions as MARTA? :lol:

5. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

Well, I have to say, that is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

What is the probable outcome if you're caught by an officer carrying in a restaurant that sells alcohol? Is it a misdemeanor? A felony? Do you loose your license? Do you go to jail?

Just curious...

Thanks!

6. Mojoski

Mojoski New Member

Thanks for the info, fellas! I'm just now realizing that I had misread that part of the law when I got my GFL! Boy, am I glad I'm learning that here and not the hard way!

Now the question is: How do we go about getting this asinine law changed?

There is no reason we shouldn't be allowed to carry in a restaurant. Especially when we're not the one drinking!

7. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

This one caught me off guard. I was walking in one day and saw a Mike's Hard Lemonade poster inside. They lost my business through no fault of their own. :(

That sir is the $64,000 question. Actually, if it was just a matter of $64,000 it would be much easier to remedy. :wink:

8. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

And I would argue the same applies to bars, but I have a feeling I wouldn't find much support in the general public.

9. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

10. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

First let me say I am not advocating anyone do this!!!

I carry a gun every where there is no magnatometer or pat search (and some places there are pat searches). After you carry for awhile and become not paranoid about if your gun is printing or showing I just carry it. I do not drink, I do not do drugs and I do not let people know I carry a gun. If the time ever comes that I have to draw a weapon in a Out Back or similar place the need will far out weigh the misdemeanor.

Again let me state that it is illegal to carry some places and I am not advocating you do this, just my take.

Join the group above and help get the laws changed in our favor. In the recent release of the 2006 Violent Attacks Report from the FBI one of the crimminals stated when asked; What about gun laws, do they deter your from getting a gun? The crimminals rteplied NO. You could in act 10,000 gun laws and it will not stop me from getting a gun. We do not walk in and legally buy handguns so it only affects those people who are law abiding in the first place.

Some politicians just cannot or refuse to see this.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Firearmz, I generally agree with you.

My general rule is no carry where I could get a felony.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

On this one, I think I'll excercise my 5th amendment rights. :)