Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: In Alabama

Also know that Alabama LEOs are the same as Georgia LEOs. Some are knowledgeable and very 2A friendly and some are the opposite.
Adding to their confusion is the fact that Alabama Sheriffs, who issue permits there, are allowed to place extra restrictions on carry permits in their counties. Some of the restrictions are contrary to state law. There has been a lot of debate in the past as to whether or not these restrictions are valid for the entire state or just that county.

I was questioned once by a LEO for carrying at a restaurant that served acohol because the local sheriff added that restriction to permits in that county. The LEO was very courteous and professional. He didn't even ask to see my GFL that I explained I was carrying with and I explained that it was my understanding that I was only prohibited from carrying in locations specified by the state. He agreed and only asked me, along with the restaurant manager, to better conceal my mag holder, which I had inadvertently exposed.

OCing seems to be very rare, although it has been heavily argued that there is nothing in Alabama code that specifies concealed carry. There have been arrests of people for OCing.

Unlike Georgia, I believe there are a number of limited instances when you may have a loaded firearm in your vehicle in Alabama without a permit.

The state only opened their state parks to carry last year. I was advised that they require that you conceal it while there.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Re: In Alabama

Phil1979 said:
Rhodes said:
The state only opened their state parks to carry last year. I was advised that they require that you conceal it while there.
You were advised incorrectly. The Alabama Constitution and the State v Reid decision upholds open carry.

The problem is, their firearm permit is a CCW permit, so a fair number of their LEO's believe you MUST conceal with your permit. They've illegally arrested citizens who've open carried.

There is no AL state law or state park rule that bans OC in their state parks.
Besides State v. Reid, from 1840, there is also an Alabama AG's official opinion from the 1980s stating that unlicensed OC is legal.

I'm not an attorney nor have I studied every page of Alabama code and thus I stated what I had been told about carry in state parks and nothing more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.