Im under 21 with a WCL, can i purchase a handgun/ammo for my handgun?

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Mr Mars, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Mr Mars

Mr Mars New Member

I have obtained my Georgia Weapons Carry License and I am 20 y/o and I was curious if I could purchase ammo for my current weapon or if I could even purchase a new handgun.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Some kind of joke?

Must be 21 to get a GA WLCL.

3. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the OP is in the military, in which case could be eligible for a GWCL at 18. I'm not sure of the answer to the OPs question.

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I think there is an exception to that rule, if one meets certain requirements....

That said, the purchase of pistol ammunition by a person under 21 is regulated by Federal, not State law.

RedDawnTheMusical likes this.
  5. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

OP, buying a handgun from a FFL will be prohibited by Federal law until you are 21. You can buy a handgun through a private sale and be legal in GA since you are older than 18.

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Unfortunately, even if true, many private sellers will balk at selling to <21 year olds.

7. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

If he has a valid GWCL, I would have no issue selling to him even if he is under 21yo

AtlPhilip likes this.
  8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I hear you, but how many people are going to take that position when its been hammered since the late 60s that <21 = no handguns?

9. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

I suspect most cops know that there's a difference between GEORGIA law and FEDERAL LAW. The federal law about the minimum age to buy a gun from a gun dealer (FFL) is one thing. Private-party sales are a matter of state law, and that's a whole different thing.

Now, here's a more interesting question about the intersection of federal law and state law.

Suppose a 19 year old whose parents are long deceased and has grown up in the home of his aunt and uncle wants to buy a handgun. His aunt and uncle don't wish to give him a gun as a gift (surely they could, legally, even a gun bought just for this purpose from an FFL dealer).

Instead, the young man checks out several used guns being offered through private party ads online. But the prices are high, and the guns don't come with the owners' manual, box, warranty card, etc.

His Uncle says, "I'll go with you to the gun store and buy the new gun that you want, and you pay for it."

Straw purchase?

I think the feds would say so.

HOWEVER, Congress itself announced in some statement or press release from the late 1960s regarding the Gun Control Act of 1968, when the 21+ age restriction for handguns was started, that it was NOT their intention to stop young people from using or even owning handguns-- it was just their intention to stop them from getting them at retail on their own. Congress wanted and expected the more mature adult parents and guardians or uncles of America's young adults to work with them on getting handguns, when those adults were OK with it.

(No, I can't cite that right now. It's not in the preamble to the law itself, which is only a few sentences long. See § 101 of Public Law 90-618. (titled Purpose...). I think it was a press release by one of the key sponsors of the bill.

10. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Can't you order ammo online without any real verification of age?

11. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

But you're in Missouri??

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

1 post and done!

14. Fallschirmjäger

Yeah, it's almost like he came here and asked only a single question to which he received an answer.

15. Fallschirmjäger

Whether or not he comes back, or just says "the heck with you guys" is probably up to how he interprets his welcome.

I mean, it's not like we don't have a couple Thousand members who have never Ever posted even as much as to say "Hi".