Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to obtain my WCL in Gwinnett county. I visited the licensing office located at 75 Langley Drive in Lawrenceville GA and I was told that the only way to obtain a WCL is to go to their website and schedule an appointment. For the past 6 weeks I have been looking at their website for an opening but every time I look the days are blocked-off as "full"! I called the department and was told that the schedule is updated each week; however every time I look for an open day that day and the following week is unavailable. The person I spoke with told me that "I just have to keep trying" and that the delays are due to the Covid-19 pandemic. I visited the office at 9am on a Wednesday and politely asked someone, in the office, if I could go through the WCL process now. He said, "No I'm sorry you must request a date on our website. That's the only way." I politely asked him if there was currently a line for the applications. He said, "Not at this time. Maybe the applicants did not show up yet."
Without saying another word - I left the building.
Does anyone know another way of obtaining a WCL in Lawrenceville / Gwinnett county?
Thank you.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,015 Posts
Blame Gov. Kemp for this.... he was Given the chance to sign an executive order that would suspend enforcement of the law that demands a person have a weapons carry permit to avoid arrest and he said no he did temporarily set aside and order the non-enforcement of other laws which don't make sense in this age of Covid. Buteven knowing that gun permits were being denied most law abiding citizens who wanted one for the first time --at least for months-- Kemp said let 'em wait, and implicitly approves of arresting anybody who carries a gun out in public without the license.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,015 Posts
Now that the legislature is in session,
we should ask for an emergency and temporary bill that will suspend most gun control laws in Georgia...

... until such time as the government is fully able to swiftly carry out its duties in issuing carry permits, or returning confiscated firearms to the rightful owners, or any other thing the government should do related to armed citizens who are not accused of a felony crime and whose guns have not been seized as evidence in a criminal case.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I am trying to obtain my WCL in Gwinnett county. I visited the licensing office located at 75 Langley Drive in Lawrenceville GA and I was told that the only way to obtain a WCL is to go to their website and schedule an appointment. For the past 6 weeks I have been looking at their website for an opening but every time I look the days are blocked-off as "full"! I called the department and was told that the schedule is updated each week; however every time I look for an open day that day and the following week is unavailable. The person I spoke with told me that "I just have to keep trying" and that the delays are due to the Covid-19 pandemic. I visited the office at 9am on a Wednesday and politely asked someone, in the office, if I could go through the WCL process now. He said, "No I'm sorry you must request a date on our website. That's the only way." I politely asked him if there was currently a line for the applications. He said, "Not at this time. Maybe the applicants did not show up yet."
Without saying another word - I left the building.
Does anyone know another way of obtaining a WCL in Lawrenceville / Gwinnett county?
Thank you.
Contact member jrm here. DeKalb county is having similar difficulties.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,374 Posts
Wonder what kind of time frame to get a marriage license in the same office?

BTW, had a friend here in Chatham County want to get her GWCL and the earliest appointment she could get was 3 months out. Seems the Probate courts in gun-unfriendly areas are taking advantage of Covid to infringe their will upon lawful citizens.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
When I last looked some time ago, DeKalb was booked out past April. Their website is on day 2 of downtime so I can’t look up the next available spot to book.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,602 Posts
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but that's the first I've heard about "the Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice required that we stop accepting applications for weapons carry licenses due to the COVID virus".

Or is that a complete load of BS?

(And could the Chief Justice even do that, legally?)

·
68,159 Posts
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but that's the first I've heard about "the Georgia Supreme Court Chief Justice required that we stop accepting applications for weapons carry licenses due to the COVID virus".

Or is that a complete load of BS?

(And could the Chief Justice even do that, legally?)
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...s-halt-in-carry-license-issuance-due-to-virus

I don't see it here, though. http://www.georgiacarry.org/cms/in-the-courtroom/

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,602 Posts
Warning: Non-lawyer comments follow:

I would say that since they are required by law to issue WCLs that they should fall under the heading of "essential court functions". I'm not sure how the Chief Justice can legally suspend what the legislature has required the court to do.

·
68,159 Posts
I would have to go back and look to be sure, but I think I remember the Supreme Court defined essential functions with a list.

Reactions: MSgt G

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,602 Posts
Doesn't seem like something that they would be legally allowed to define, but who are you going to appeal to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have read post from members in Dekalb county and Chatham county. I live in Gwinnett county. Are WCL's issued in the county you reside? Or can I apply for a WCL in any Georgia county? I really don't mind being placed on a waiting list. The probate court in Lawrenceville does not offer the option of a waiting list.

·
68,159 Posts

·
Uninvited Guest
599 Posts
Wonder what kind of time frame to get a marriage license in the same office?
:lol: I was at the Douglas County Probate and a couple was getting a marriage license. The clerk asked her if she wanted to go ahead and apply for her WCL while there to save some time. :shock:

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,399 Posts
So, the GWCL calendar on Gwinnett Probate site is only a week out, and is full every time I look (not frequently or diligently, although that will change).

The marriage license calendar is a month out and shows openings on Feb 25th.

I'm currently carrying under 126-11-126(e)(1)(A)(ii)(B)(2)
Any person who is not a weapons carry license holder in this state and who is licensed to carry a weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state for 90 days after he or she becomes a resident of this state;

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
:lol: I was at the Douglas County Probate and a couple was getting a marriage license. The clerk asked her if she wanted to go ahead and apply for her WCL while there to save some time. :shock:
Speaking of common sense...................... :mrgreen:

Reactions: TimBob and hma153

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,399 Posts
Gwinnett calendar is opened for week of Feb 8-12. It appears they update on Monday mornings. Looks about 50% ish available based on quick scan.

I snagged an appointment.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,720 Posts
OK gents, if you have been waiting a while to make sure, or just stringing along, you now have additional incentive. Ladies, this applies to you also.

Nemo

1 - 20 of 26 Posts