I'm Ready To Concealed Carry

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by shamalama, Apr 20, 2007.

1. shamalama

shamalama New Member

I'm 47 and have owned handguns from a .22 to a .45 over the years. But after the massacre at Virginia Tech I have finally decided I want to carry a concealed handgun on my person where available.

I don't want to get into the endless caliber debate, or even the semi versus wheelgun debate. What I would like to hear from this crowd of experts is WHERE is a good place to buy a handgun. I live in Conyers and work at Hartsfield, so anywhere inside or around 285 is fine.

Sure, there is the local pawn shop with a used Cobra .380 semi, but I'd like to walk into a reputable dealer with a good in-house stock.

Thanks,

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just wait! You will be carrying openly soon! :D

3. Malum Prohibitum

Autrey's Armory in Fayetteville. It is an easy drive down 314 from Hartsfield.

Get an Hk USP in .45 ACP!

4. tony218

tony218 New Member

there is a gun show at the farmers market in forest park
    this weekend you might want to go to that and fondle a
    few different guns and see how they feel to you.
    sometimes you get lucky and run across a good deal.

5. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

Howdy Doo Neighbor,
    I'm just across the line in Lithonia. There are a few pawn shops on Covington Hwy that have a small selection. If you are looking for a specific model, the gun show in Forest Park might have what you need. I'll be there around ten.

6. Macktee

Macktee New Member

That's an excellent idea. You won't be able to shoot them, but you can see how a large variety of different pistols fit your hands and "feel" to you. You may buy, but I'd go with the idea of just looking and then check out MP's suggestion. Some ranges have pistols you can rent to shoot. Probably a good idea, but of course, that's not the way I did it...

As for what to carry, I just purchased a PA-63. Hungarian that shoots the 9x18 Makarov round. It's going to be my carry gun once I find a decent holster. Check them out at the gun show. Maks are made in Russia, Poland, Hungary and probably a few other old Commie block countries.

Nice size, nice punch, nice price. What else could anyone want?

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If you want to shoot a few different guns and don't mind a little drive, you can meet me at Bullseye in Cumming sometime. I have a Glock 17, Walther PPK/S .380, and a Springfield XD-9 you can try. There are a few of us that meet once a month or so, you can try several tat way.

8. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Welcome, shamalama.

Personally, I don't give a damn if you carry a one shot .22LR pistol, as long as you're carrying something. Anything is better than nothing; it demonstrates some intent :)

For ITP, I've only been to the Hot Shots once, and Adventure Outdoors a few times (tomorrow is one of the "big expenditure days"). If you pick the right guy behind the counter (ie, the older the better, IMHO) you'll have a good experience. I like that they leave me the hell alone until I ask for help. They have the largest selection I've seen, even though I dig Ed's people (it's just far).

9. rajl

rajl New Member

Adventure Outdoors is hard to beat on both price and selection, but it's up in Marietta.

Autrey's Armory has had nothing but good recommendations.

There's a range and gun store (forget the name) literally around the corner from the Forest Park Farmer's market. I stopped in after I spotted it coming home from the Farmer's market. They have a pretty good selection on Sigs and HK's.

10. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I went to Autrey's Armory in Fayetteville and picked up a Kel-Tec P-3AT (.380, 6+1) along with a DeSantis pocket holster.

It was a wonderful place with helpful and knowledgeable staff - highly recommended.

Now I'll wrangle with the paperwork to become legally CCW.

I simply don't like punks like Cho Seung-Hui and his Walther P22 and Glock 19. Once punks like him start killing innocent people he has earned the right to hold 6 of my .380's inside his soft tissue and critical organs.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Hey! My wife bought me one of those from Autrey's! :D

12. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Welcome to the club... :lol: Those of us who take personal safety in our own hands.

13. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Congratulations. Now you can defend yourself instead of waiting for the cops, if need be.

Good buy. The P3-AT is a pretty well recognized favorite. Did it come with a belt-clip? You can pack that sucker everywhere with one... don't even need a holster.

You actually have 7 shots into soft-tissue if you keep a full mag and one in the pipe. :)

14. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:welcome: Keep us up to date on the process in Rockale.

15. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

How are Autrey's prices on CZs?

16. Malum Prohibitum

17. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

That's why I asked... I didn't see any prices. :(

18. Malum Prohibitum

19. ahlongslide

ahlongslide New Member

:D I actually have no mouth... so calling is not an option... plus, I want to know EVERY price on EVERY CZ including variations in color and caliber... I prefer printable things that can't forget what they quoted AFTER I drive the distance. But I guess I'm picky. :)

20. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

I agree absolutely. I'm a born and bred internet style shopper. I really don't like driving to hell and back to see if the "Para Ordnance" stock some place purports to have consists of a single used pistol with green stuff leaking from around the feed ramp. You tell me exactly what it costs, and what you've got, and I'll drive three hours to get it.

Davidson's is amusing, but there's some kind of supply channel computation shenanigans going on in their reported inventory numbers. It's like it's a "regional" inventory, not a store "on hand" inventory.