Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really have enough money for one but I don't care. I've been wanting one for almost a year and I'm tired of waiting.

If they haven't sold it yet I'll be picking up my RRA lower tomorrow. I plan on putting a Wilson or DPMS flat-top 11.5 on it. For now, just the flip up sights but when I get out of the poor house I'll put some nice optics on it.

I lost my copy of willmaker when I moved so I just ordered another copy so I can form my trust. I'm doing this w/o CLEO signoff for personal reasons.

I know some of you are lawyers... I'm going to form a revocable living trust in GA. I have read and read online and I think I have a good grasp of it all, but of course I don't want to screw anything up. I thought about going to a lawyer and getting a trust set up, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I want to be legal while I'm alive, what happens to my SBR when I'm dead, I don't care. Is there anything I need to watch out for as far as the trust goes? I know how to add the lower to the trust and all and all the forms I need to submit.

I'll keep you all updated. I've been told over and over that getting one of these is 'unreasonable', 'impractical' and even 'stupid'. Of course, I just heard 'awesome', 'incredibly intelligent' and 'zombie killer'. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I've been told over and over that getting one of these is 'unreasonable', 'impractical' and even 'stupid'. Of course, I just heard 'awesome', 'incredibly intelligent' and 'zombie killer'. Wish me luck!
You left out hellishly LOUD. :lol:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
CoolHand said:
I've been told over and over that getting one of these is 'unreasonable', 'impractical' and even 'stupid'. Of course, I just heard 'awesome', 'incredibly intelligent' and 'zombie killer'. Wish me luck!
You left out hellishly LOUD. :lol:
That's why he has to make it a SBR/supressor combo deal. 8)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, step 1 is complete. Stag-Arms lower and the willmaker software.

Step two is completing my living trust (this week) and sending that, the compliance documents and 200$ to the ATF. I have to wait 2 more weeks until I get paid again to send it.

I'm going to put my fiance as a benefactor in my trust. Is there any downside to this since we're not officially married yet? I trust her with the keys to my safe so I think she should be on the NFA paperwork. I trust her implicitly but again, is there anything BAD about doing it this way?

Also, does anyone know if the probate in Georgia needs a copy of my living trust or do I need to file it with anyone? For logical reasons, I trust the people on this site more than the idiots at the probate court.

I also got this in the mail. Clipdraw for my 642. I love the belt-clip on my Kel-Tec 9mm and the Smith is a bit lighter so it's even easier to conceal for those special occasions.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
true threads

I would suggest that you have the barrel of this new Short Barreled Rifle threaded by a gunsmith or machineist who regularly does precision threading for silencers. If the threads are a little off-center or misaligned and all you're screwing on is a flash hider or muzzle break, no big deal. That little .22 bullet will still pass through the huge opening with no problems. But try to pass that .22 bullet through a 9" long stack of baffles that only have a .25 hole through them... you'd better have it right, or you'll blow the guts out of your $700 suppressor.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
Noisy SOB

I'm assuming you'll want a silencer for the thing one day. I have fired several SBRs, and they are unpleasant. A concussion wave slaps you in the face with each shot. They're noisy little SOBs, too. (Short Of Barrel).

·
Registered
154 Posts
With ear and Eye protection of course I fire this all the time from my shoulder. Its 7.5 inches.................you will be just fine with a 11 inch barrel. I have plans to SBR this and throw a rifle lower on it shortly. Does the will maker software walk you through it?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the Willmaker software walks you right through it. I'm inclined to make a will as well since I paid 35 bucks for the '07 version instead of paying 12 bucks for the 06'. For the revocable living trust there were maybe a dozen questions. I printed my trust which I'll have notarized at work tomorrow and a schedule A which adds my Stag to the trust.

I just ordered the new Form 1 from the ATF since I heard they aren't accepting a few of the previous revs.

l'll probably send it all out next week even though I'll have to float a check. No way the ATF will approve it in 7 days.

Anyone know a good engraver in the greater Metro area? I need to put my trust name and city/state on the lower and I don't want it "too" tacky. I would electropencil it but it would look straight ghetto.

I need to decide on my upper as well. I'm thinking a CMMG 11.5 in case I decide on a supressor later. They also have a 10.3/10.5 but I'm not quite sold. I'm just gonna go 11.5 I think unless someone changes my mind in 7 days, lol.

And to those that think it's too loud... well, that's the point, mostly. That, and sticking it to "the man". :p

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
foshizzle.....when big daddy fedgov gives you the green light and you have that thing assembled.....we gotta hit up the range! :D

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
foshizzle said:
l'll probably send it all out next week even though I'll have to float a check. No way the ATF will approve it in 7 days.
They'll sure as hell cash the check quick.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Anyone know a good engraver in the greater Metro area? I need to put my trust name and city/state on the lower and I don't want it "too" tacky. I would electropencil it but it would look straight ghetto.
I thought that when using a pre-existing reciever you don't have to engrave anything on it. I thought you could just leave the original reciever markings and serial number?

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
GAGunOwner said:
I thought that when using a pre-existing reciever you don't have to engrave anything on it. I thought you could just leave the original reciever markings and serial number?
Maybe just doing that for himself?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GAGunOwner said:
I'm doing a Form 1 to manufature a short barreled rifle, not a Form 4 to transfer an existing one. I need to engrave it since I'm the manufacturer... of the SBR that is.

Say I bought an old Colt SBR. I could just transfer that on a Form 4 and I wouldn't have to engrave because the manufacturer at the time of it's registration as an SBR already did (colt).

There is a nice spot in front of the trigger to put it, but the actual writing is going to look something like:

foshizzle revocable living trust, atlanta, GA.

Needless to say, it's going to be a tight fit. I need a decent engraver locally because I'm not sending this sucker out. It would be cool to take it to lenox and see if one of the kiosks could do it :D

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
foshizzle said:
GAGunOwner said:
I'm doing a Form 1 to manufature a short barreled rifle, not a Form 4 to transfer an existing one. I need to engrave it since I'm the manufacturer... of the SBR that is.

Say I bought an old Colt SBR. I could just transfer that on a Form 4 and I wouldn't have to engrave because the manufacturer at the time of it's registration as an SBR already did (colt).

There is a nice spot in front of the trigger to put it, but the actual writing is going to look something like:

foshizzle revocable living trust, atlanta, GA.

Needless to say, it's going to be a tight fit. I need a decent engraver locally because I'm not sending this sucker out. It would be cool to take it to lenox and see if one of the kiosks could do it :D
I'm still not sure that you have to do what you are going. I thought that you could just leave the Colt markings on it. I'm probably wrong...I honestly don't know the answer with 100% confidence. I'm guessing you don't though.

:-k

Maybe this calls for a post over at www.subguns.com ?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
You are not manufacturing a new firearm, so I don't think you have to remark the gun.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
But wouldn't it be wise to put some sort of identification stuff on it if it's stolen or something? I know you're probably screwed if it does get stolen, but I don't know.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
ptsmith24 said:
But wouldn't it be wise to put some sort of identification stuff on it if it's stolen or something? I know you're probably screwed if it does get stolen, but I don't know.
The reciever will still have the original manufacturer and serial number on it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts