I'm building a short-barreled AR

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by foshizzle, Jun 29, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I don't really have enough money for one but I don't care. I've been wanting one for almost a year and I'm tired of waiting.

If they haven't sold it yet I'll be picking up my RRA lower tomorrow. I plan on putting a Wilson or DPMS flat-top 11.5 on it. For now, just the flip up sights but when I get out of the poor house I'll put some nice optics on it.

I lost my copy of willmaker when I moved so I just ordered another copy so I can form my trust. I'm doing this w/o CLEO signoff for personal reasons.

I know some of you are lawyers... I'm going to form a revocable living trust in GA. I have read and read online and I think I have a good grasp of it all, but of course I don't want to screw anything up. I thought about going to a lawyer and getting a trust set up, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I want to be legal while I'm alive, what happens to my SBR when I'm dead, I don't care. Is there anything I need to watch out for as far as the trust goes? I know how to add the lower to the trust and all and all the forms I need to submit.

I'll keep you all updated. I've been told over and over that getting one of these is 'unreasonable', 'impractical' and even 'stupid'. Of course, I just heard 'awesome', 'incredibly intelligent' and 'zombie killer'. Wish me luck!

2. DKing

DKing New Member

Good luck! I may be able to answer some short trust questions.

3. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

You left out hellishly LOUD. :lol:

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

That's why he has to make it a SBR/supressor combo deal. 8)

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Well, step 1 is complete. Stag-Arms lower and the willmaker software.

[​IMG]

Step two is completing my living trust (this week) and sending that, the compliance documents and 200$ to the ATF. I have to wait 2 more weeks until I get paid again to send it.

I'm going to put my fiance as a benefactor in my trust. Is there any downside to this since we're not officially married yet? I trust her with the keys to my safe so I think she should be on the NFA paperwork. I trust her implicitly but again, is there anything BAD about doing it this way?

Also, does anyone know if the probate in Georgia needs a copy of my living trust or do I need to file it with anyone? For logical reasons, I trust the people on this site more than the idiots at the probate court.

I also got this in the mail. Clipdraw for my 642. I love the belt-clip on my Kel-Tec 9mm and the Smith is a bit lighter so it's even easier to conceal for those special occasions.

[​IMG]

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

true threads

I would suggest that you have the barrel of this new Short Barreled Rifle threaded by a gunsmith or machineist who regularly does precision threading for silencers. If the threads are a little off-center or misaligned and all you're screwing on is a flash hider or muzzle break, no big deal. That little .22 bullet will still pass through the huge opening with no problems. But try to pass that .22 bullet through a 9" long stack of baffles that only have a .25 hole through them... you'd better have it right, or you'll blow the guts out of your $700 suppressor.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Noisy SOB

I'm assuming you'll want a silencer for the thing one day. I have fired several SBRs, and they are unpleasant. A concussion wave slaps you in the face with each shot. They're noisy little SOBs, too. (Short Of Barrel).

8. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

With ear and Eye protection of course I fire this all the time from my shoulder. Its 7.5 inches.................you will be just fine with a 11 inch barrel. I have plans to SBR this and throw a rifle lower on it shortly. Does the will maker software walk you through it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Yes, the Willmaker software walks you right through it. I'm inclined to make a will as well since I paid 35 bucks for the '07 version instead of paying 12 bucks for the 06'. For the revocable living trust there were maybe a dozen questions. I printed my trust which I'll have notarized at work tomorrow and a schedule A which adds my Stag to the trust.

I just ordered the new Form 1 from the ATF since I heard they aren't accepting a few of the previous revs.

l'll probably send it all out next week even though I'll have to float a check. No way the ATF will approve it in 7 days.

Anyone know a good engraver in the greater Metro area? I need to put my trust name and city/state on the lower and I don't want it "too" tacky. I would electropencil it but it would look straight ghetto.

I need to decide on my upper as well. I'm thinking a CMMG 11.5 in case I decide on a supressor later. They also have a 10.3/10.5 but I'm not quite sold. I'm just gonna go 11.5 I think unless someone changes my mind in 7 days, lol.

And to those that think it's too loud... well, that's the point, mostly. That, and sticking it to "the man". :p

10. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

foshizzle.....when big daddy fedgov gives you the green light and you have that thing assembled.....we gotta hit up the range! :D

11. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

They'll sure as hell cash the check quick.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

01coltcolt, what range is that?

13. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

Thats Mceller's Lodge Fort Bragg NC, I PCS to GA in Jan.

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I thought that when using a pre-existing reciever you don't have to engrave anything on it. I thought you could just leave the original reciever markings and serial number?

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Maybe just doing that for himself?

16. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I'm doing a Form 1 to manufature a short barreled rifle, not a Form 4 to transfer an existing one. I need to engrave it since I'm the manufacturer... of the SBR that is.

Say I bought an old Colt SBR. I could just transfer that on a Form 4 and I wouldn't have to engrave because the manufacturer at the time of it's registration as an SBR already did (colt).

There is a nice spot in front of the trigger to put it, but the actual writing is going to look something like:

foshizzle revocable living trust, atlanta, GA.

Needless to say, it's going to be a tight fit. I need a decent engraver locally because I'm not sending this sucker out. It would be cool to take it to lenox and see if one of the kiosks could do it :D

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I'm still not sure that you have to do what you are going. I thought that you could just leave the Colt markings on it. I'm probably wrong...I honestly don't know the answer with 100% confidence. I'm guessing you don't though.

:-k

Maybe this calls for a post over at www.subguns.com ?

18. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

You are not manufacturing a new firearm, so I don't think you have to remark the gun.

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

But wouldn't it be wise to put some sort of identification stuff on it if it's stolen or something? I know you're probably screwed if it does get stolen, but I don't know.

20. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The reciever will still have the original manufacturer and serial number on it.