Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Handgun Law site is a little confusing. As I pass through Illinois can I have a loaded handgun or person or in the car otherwise. I recall that a few years ago the gun and ammo had to be in separate locations in the car. I have a Georgia Weapons Carry Permit.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,695 Posts
Illinois carry laws give me a headache. It appears that you can car carry, if you have a valid license from another state. That is according to www.handgunlaw.us. That doesn't mean you can carry on your license...ILL does not recognize other state licenses for CARRY. But, according to handgunlaw.us, you CAN have in the car with another state license.

Gosh. I would be REALLY careful, and I would carefully read the actual Illinois state law regarding this. And if it were me, I would reach out to an Illinois gun rights group for advice. IANAL.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,413 Posts
Reading Handgun law again, it looks like NO. Thanks all.
Um, from the faq published by IL Sen Barickman

http://senatorbarickman.com/Portals/9/Senator Jason Barickman Concealed Carry Guide.pdf

Non Residents are allowed to transport a concealed firearm within their vehicle without a permit, provided they have a valid out-of-state permit. If the vehicle is left unattended, the firearm must either be in a locked container or the vehicle must be locked.
The actual act reads on HB183 (2013) page 18
Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
6 transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
7 Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
8 vehicle and the non-resident:
9 (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
10 firearm under federal law;
11 (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
12 laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
13 (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
14 If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
15 he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
16 locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
17 subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
“Transport†is not qualified. It doesn’t say it has to be off your person, unloaded, or anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts