Illinois Car Carry?

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by steelman, Oct 9, 2017.

1. steelman

steelman New Member

The Handgun Law site is a little confusing. As I pass through Illinois can I have a loaded handgun or person or in the car otherwise. I recall that a few years ago the gun and ammo had to be in separate locations in the car. I have a Georgia Weapons Carry Permit.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Short answer is no.

3. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Illinois carry laws give me a headache. It appears that you can car carry, if you have a valid license from another state. That is according to www.handgunlaw.us. That doesn't mean you can carry on your license...ILL does not recognize other state licenses for CARRY. But, according to handgunlaw.us, you CAN have in the car with another state license.

Gosh. I would be REALLY careful, and I would carefully read the actual Illinois state law regarding this. And if it were me, I would reach out to an Illinois gun rights group for advice. IANAL.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

5. steelman

steelman New Member

Reading Handgun law again, it looks like NO. Thanks all.

6. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Um, from the faq published by IL Sen Barickman

http://senatorbarickman.com/Portals/9/Senator Jason Barickman Concealed Carry Guide.pdf

The actual act reads on HB183 (2013) page 18
    “Transport†is not qualified. It doesn’t say it has to be off your person, unloaded, or anything.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017