"I'll pray for you"

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by gsusnake, Sep 22, 2010.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

OK -- I am NOT trying to start a flame war here. I promise.

As many of you know, I am not a Christian. I do not say this to provoke anyone or spark a debate. I am simply stating a fact.

I believe in a higher authority, just not that Christianity (or ANY organized religion, for that matter) is the path to salvation, nor that I need salvation.

Why is it, when I express opinions on this matter, the answer from many Christians is "I'll pray for you"? Did it not occur to them that I might not want them to pray for me? Maybe I don't want divine intercession (another thing I don't believe in) on my behalf. Maybe I don't want you to waste your time. Maybe I find it offensive that you think I need some kind of salvation or intercession. I understand there is some scriptural justification for this, but why tell me?

Do people actually believe that they can save my soul?

Is there some personal fulfillment for them in doing this?

Are they just doing it to annoy me?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

It's not their fault that they don't believe in the FSM.

3. gsusnake

If it fulfills them personally, more power to them. Next person who actually tells me they're going to pray for me is going to get rather rudely insulted.

4. gsusnake

ALL HAIL HIS NOODLINESS!

Our heaven has a stripper factory and a beer volcano. What does yours have?

Hopefully everybody celebrated International Talk Like a Pirate Day last weekend, I sure know I did...

EDIT: I also don't want this to turn into a Pastafarianism vs Christianity debate. Nor am I using the FSM to ridicule anyone's beliefs, as I have been accused of doing before...

5. Militus Armatura

Militus Armatura New Member

As a Christian, I cannot even save MY own soul.....much less yours or anyone else.

Are these people strangers to you or family or just casual friends? That would perhaps answer the last question you had to a certain degree anyway. Some Christians are sincere and some just enjoy putting themselves up on a 'higher' platform; so to speak.

Take it with a grain of salt and don't let it bug you. That usually puts an end to it, especially if they do it to annoy you.

6. gsusnake

Mostly strangers/casual acquaintances. Friends or close acquaintances generally know better, and if they don't, they find out QUICK.

7. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

excellent post sir. i have always felt this same way, with the exception of believing in ANY sort of higher authority at all.

8. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

Part of Christian teaching is to love others, and that taking an issue to God on someone's behalf is an action that displays love.

Probably not, but even if it did they would likely still do it.

Why does it concern you that they are facilitating something that you believe doesn't exist? If you are correct, then they are just wasting their time.

Why do you care if someone waste their time? It's theirs to do with as they please.

As mentioned above, most people say they are praying for something as an act of love. Regardless of their intention...I would take it as a caring gesture, say thank you, and move on. Life is too short to be upset or rude about something like this.

9. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

while i can appreciate someones concern, i justy dont agree with the method. i like to joke with people and instead of saying ill pray for them, i tell them ill throw some herbs and a bat wing in the fire for them.

10. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

also, from time to time, i have people ask if ill pray for their loved one, or some other person they know, and my usual response to this is "i am not a religious person, but i will hope the future works out in their favor".

11. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

:puke: What other :bsflag: are you selling? That isn't a display of love, nor does it show real love. It's fake love. As fake as fake can get. It's evidenced by the fact that the "pray-er" isn't willing to do a darn thing in the real world for whom they will "pray" for. And its an excuse to feel good like they actually did something while doing nothing but walking away and being holier-than-thou in the process.

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Why can't you just take the comment in the spirit it was intended. They are just trying to look out for you and do it in a way that they feel is best. Thank them and go about your business. That is, of course, assuming they mean it in a nice way, and not a "you're going to Hell, boy" way. If that's the case, consider it game on by all means.

It's not your decision whether they "waste their time" praying, eating little crackers, or drinking grape juice. They are not negatively affecting you in any way, and will probably feel better afterwards, now that they've Done Something. Why try to take that away from them?

13. jsmn4vu

jsmn4vu New Member

Exactly. Just let it go, gsusnake. To react is to play into their hands if there's anything malicious in it, and to hurt their feelings if there is not. We don't need to do either, do we?

14. gsusnake

I don't have an issue with "I'll pray for you because something bad happened." I probably should have made that clear.

I DO have an issue with "I'll pray for you because you don't believe in _______ and you're going to Hell for that." As if their prayer will magically cause me to alter my beliefs, or keep me from going to Hell...

15. RevolverDan

As a christian, what bothers me more than anything is when someone says they will pray for someone or something and don't. If I tell someone that I will pray for them or if they ask me to pray for them, I usually stop right then and do it. If in some case I feel that prayer for someone is necessary but do not think it will be warmly received...then I just do it without telling them.

My mother used to tell me that saying "Bless your heart" was just a nice southern way of saying "You're so stupid". I think what most people don't like about people saying "I'll pray for you" is the lack of concern or condescending attitude that often accompanies it. If I had to guess, someone saying it would genuine concern would likely not be held in a malicious light. Of course, they could also ask if they could pray for you vs. telling you they will to see if you would gain agreement. There are ways to approach this tactfully, but I think being in the south that people often forget that since the vast majority of people do believe in what would be the traditional view of God.

16. gsusnake

Example: I tweeted earlier about how tired I am of hearing "This is a Christian nation" used to justify theocratic intervention into law, especially into gay marriage/DADT policies. This is not a Christian nation, as the Constitution guarantees freedom of religion, so there is ZERO justification for bringing Christian beliefs into what should be a simple policy issue based on personal freedoms.

I received several @ replies along the lines of "I'll pray for you" because I don't believe that religious texts have ANY bearing on ANY policy discussion. That's my problem.

Also, to everyone who uses Leviticus to justify condemning homosexuality... how was that bacon you ate for breakfast?

17. gsusnake

You just hit the nail square on the head.

18. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I used to be that way. I can no longer pass forgiveness on a religious group that is always feigning being attacked while provoking the next holy war.

Why should I "live and let live" with a group that doesn't want to let others "live and let live"?

19. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

I think you should just get over it. You can't stop them. It doesn't harm you. God may actually intervene, and by definition, you'll be better off. You should simply look at them and say "Thank you. I appreciate that."

I pray that God will grant you serenity to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

20. RevolverDan

I have no doubt that some people do exactly what you are talking about for the reasons that you list. All I can tell you is, that those people disgust me and that I do not pray for those reasons. If someone does not believe in God, then there is no way I can justify my position on this to them. That isn't a "holier-than-thou" statement. It's just fact.