IL working for concealed carry

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Rugerer, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

WHBF soundbited a local candidate for IL state representative here who was advocating licenses for concealed carry. Dennis Ahern (D), 71st district.

The interesting twist was that he wasn't pursuing a platform of less crime, self protection, RTKBA, etc. The topic of the story was underfunded senior citizen facilities. He was running on a platform of generating new revenue streams, and licenses for concealed carry was one of his examples. CC licences would generate 30-40 million dollars, in his estimation.

His website mentions only "generate new revenue streams." I can't find any mention of concealed carry.

The IL Council Against Handgun Violence posts an article from QCOnline quoting Mr. Ahern regarding the McDonald decision.

http://www.ichv.org/ichv-in-the-news/

I'm kind of wondering if he's meaning to sneak CC in under the radar riding on a separate issue (generating revenue), albeit not a very satisfying one.

2. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

30-40 million, even at $100 a pop that would be 300,000-400,000 licensees. Does he expect this over a year or over a term?

3. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

The rush that likely would be generated from the formerly oppressed citizens may get to that # in a matter of weeks.

4. Macktee

Macktee New Member

It doesn't matter if he's trying to sneak it in or if he's ever-so-slightly overestimating the revenue to be generated. What matters is it might happen. As I have a daughter who lives in Chicago-Land, I have more than just a casual interest in this subject.

Step One: Get CCW approved in Illinois.

Step Two: Get daughter to overcome her deep and abiding fear and loathing of all things guns...

[​IMG]

5. fmlaw1

fmlaw1 Active Member

However it might happen, concealed carry in IL would be a very good thing! Great for the state, and great for me, as I drive through at least once or twice a year!

6. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

I love it. This one might just work. Bless their hearts, the poor people of Illinois have tried almost everything under the sun to get to carry pistols, money and greed may have a chance of success. I wish them the best of luck and maybe they can have a bon fire with all those FOID cards (even though you have to pay for those so I doubt they'll disappear).

7. Rail

Rail Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Illinois had an anti-gun GOP governor (Jim Edgar) prevent them from getting CCW in the early 90's after both houses of the legislature passed it. The opportunity will present itself again if Bill Brady is elected governor. The real challenge besides CCW for that state is preemption. They really ought to tell Chicago to put a sock it it with their new CFP and Cook County's AWB.

8. mpc

mpc New Member

While this is a step in the right direction, the cost for any state should be $0.00.

9. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

10. SYN ACK

SYN ACK New Member

I REALLY hope this comes to IL. I have family there, as I am from IL. I doubt we'd get reciprocity but maybe I can get a non-res permit and carry there. :righton:

11. Howerpower

Howerpower New Member

:ditto:
    I have family there, and am from there as well. I look forward to one day not having to disarm to cross a state line.