Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
House Bill 5855 from state Rep. Bob Morgan, D-Deerfield, would redefine dozens of different types of rifles, pistols and shotguns as “assault weapons.” If approved, anyone who owns them would have 300 days to register them with state police. All future sales would be prohibited.​

Also no firearms under 21 unless "with an adult hunting," lol, is the bill really redefining adult?

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,544 Posts
That guy seems kinda dumb uneducated on firearms.

Nemo

· Registered
170 Posts
They know.

Semi auto gun sales prohibited and a registration are now in effect.

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The law bans semi-automatic guns defined as “assault weapons” that have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine or may be readily modified to accept a detachable magazine and have one or more of:

• A pistol grip or thumbhole stock
  • Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand
  • A folding, telescoping, thumbhole or detachable stock, or a stock that is otherwise foldable or adjustable in a manner that operates to reduce the length, size or any other dimension, or otherwise enhances the concealability of the weapon
  • A flash suppressor
  • Grenade launcher
  • A shroud attached to the barrel or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel.
  • A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A "shroud?" A thing that envelopes or obscures something.

In other words, a stock. This bill literally outlaws semiautomatic weapons that you can hold without burning your hand. Don't believe me? Read it (post #7).

· Super Moderator
75,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Growing numbers of Sheriffs say they refuse to enforce HB 5471 in their counties.

“For now, when it comes to law-abiding citizens and lawful gun owners, we will not be checking for registration of your firearms with the State, nor will we be arresting otherwise law-abiding citizens solely with non-compliance of this Act or housing such citizens in our jail,” he said. “For those who would otherwise violate our laws or unlawfully possess firearms, we will continue to consider all applicable charges in order to protect Jersey County.”​

· Registered
1,590 Posts
IL HB5471 was signed into law on 1/10/2023 with an urgency clause such that it took effect immediately.

One third party summary of what is in the bill:

What the ‘Protect Illinois Communities Act’ Does:

• Prohibits the sale and distribution of firearms that fit the definition of “assault weapon.”
  • Requires gun owners to register all assault weapons with state police within 300 days; unregistered possession is a Class 3 felony on the first offense.
  • Prohibits the manufacture, delivery, sale, purchase, or possession of a detachable rifle magazine with a capacity larger than 10 rounds. Pistol magazines are limited to 15 rounds. A violation is a Class 3 felony on the first offense.
  • Prohibits “switches,” or kits that can convert a pistol into an assault weapon (although “switch” is not defined in the law).
  • Prohibits a list of specific firearms by name.
  • Allows a state attorney or assistant state attorney to assist the petitioner in requesting a firearm. restraining order. Also, extends a firearms restraining order from six months to one year.
  • Bans bump stocks.
(source: Illinois Assault Weapons Ban: What's In The New Law)

Class 3 felony to drive through with a standard capacity mid to full size pistol and its magazines is a steep penalty.

· Registered
10,560 Posts
I have a .45 that eats from 12 round magazines so I could suppose it’s okay but I suspect the threaded barrel is just going to get me in another form of hot water. On the other hand I’m not currently scheduled to travel to Illinois out past 2030 so maybe I just won’t worry about it and follow the new court challenges this might bring.

· NRA Certified Instructor
6,970 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts