If your an LEO, what weapon do you carry..

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by nocman_2, Sep 26, 2010.

1. nocman_2

nocman_2 New Member

If your and LEO, what weapon do you carry? And what are the reasons behind it? The reason I ask is I'm sure allot of research goes into what side arms a LEO or military personnel carry. I'm just curious... Thx.

:righton:

2. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Out of the officers that I know, Glocks .45 or .40 and Smith and Wesson M&P40.

3. mike316atl

mike316atl New Member

I'm NOT an LEO, but I'm a licensed armed security guard and I carry a Glock 31 while at work.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I would bet that LEAs put less research into it than you think.

As far as military personnel are concerned, except for some seal and SF units, the standard sidearm for the US military is the Beretta M9. No one has any other say so.

5. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

This.

SheriffOconee and Legacy are pretty knowledgeable, but as far as general gun knowledge goes, many LEOs are ignorant as can be.

US military style weapons.... since McNamara, the bureaucracy of government has kept our soldiers having the best they can have. Just because our military uses it, does not mean its the best.

6. jsmn4vu

jsmn4vu New Member

Did you intend "...kept our soldiers FROM having the best they can have?"

7. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

The store I work with deals with officers all over Ga and Fl. The majority of course use Glock (21 and 22 with the 30 and 23 for detectives and BUG's). Florida area is switching from the Beretta (.40 cal) over to either the Glock (31 , 22) or the S&W M&P in .40. The GSP is still carrying the Glock 37 or 38 as far as I know. There are a few smaller town departments that carry differently. Pooler carries the Sig 220 in .45 and the Effingham Co Sheriff's deputies carry 1911's (in .45 only). It really depends on budgets and what the Chief of the dept or individual Sheriff's OFFICE chooses.

8. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

+1

I've seen police officers have "malfunctions" with their weapons in a range, only to find that a simple tap, rack, bang drill would have fixed the issue 100%. I've also had numerous officers tell me that I shoot WAY more than they do, and I don't feel like I shoot all that much really.... Police officers are rarely "authorities" on weapons, in my experience.

9. nocman_2

nocman_2 New Member

Wow...45's really? For some reason I had the impression that they couldn't carry over a .40 cal. I've also heard that most LEO's have to opt for the DA as it prevents the "Accidental shooting" issue.

10. nocman_2

nocman_2 New Member

Hmm, I was hoping the department they worked for would do as much research as possible to give them the best equipment for the price. If that's the case it's disappointing.

11. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

In most cases you would be correct. There are a few exceptions, but they are few.

Most department purchases come down to one thing. Money. Believe it or not, Glock is NOT the choice of so many police departments because they are the best pistol going. They are in all those holsters because they make an effort to underbid the competition.

Now I'm not saying Glocks aren't good guns. There are many folks who love em, and I respect the opinions of a lot of them (although I personally don't care for them). But the fact of the matter in any city government decision is he who writes the check makes the final call.

I worked with 2 different departments during a time period when they went through testing for new sidearms. In BOTH cases, the department's final 2 contenders were Glock and Sig. In both cases the officers preferred the Sigs.

Glock beat Sig's price and viola, they were the winners of the contracts both times.

We did have one PD in my home area that was a VERY wealthy suburb. They got to carry HK P7M13s.

As far as .45s go. Lots of departments issue or allow .45s to be carried. There is no rule that says they can't carry anything over 40 caliber.

12. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

Not a LEO either just a licensed security officer. I work for a fortune 500 company where cost isn’t really isn’t much of an issue. We use the Glock 22 and Mossberg 590 shotgun. These two weapons were not chosen based on cost but on the experience or the key decision maker. My last job was in a different section of the same company where we carried the Sig P-229, Colt M-4 carbines and Remington 870 shotguns. I know that the two chief reasons the Sig was chosen was because the Sig could be converted to DAO with a 12 pound trigger pull and in taking down the pistol the trigger doesn’t have to be pulled which in theory minimizes a negligent discharge.

13. Perry73779

Perry73779 New Member

Not a LEO but know what a bunch carry:

Atlanta PD: S&W M&P40
    Georgia State University PD: Glock 22
    Georgia Tech PD: Glock 22
    State Patrol: Glock in 45GAP
    Cobb PD: Glock 22
    Cobb SO: Glock in 45ACP
    World Congress PD: Glock 22
    MARTA PD: Glock 22

I have heard rumors that the reason APD uses the M&P is because a Mayor years ago made an agreement with Smith and Wesson, but who knows.

14. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Generally, they have to carry whatever their department issues them while working. The department gets whatever gun that will fit the job description that is the cheapest, I suppose with few exceptions.

15. Ty D

Ty D New Member

Have you ever looked into the research done by federal agencies? Look into the refer ATF testing, due to protests by SIG it shows a little more of the process than you would normally get to see.

If a manufacturer doesn't submit a handgun to be tested, they are already out of the running, no matter how great their firearm is. And on the federal side of things, at least, the testing is no joke. Again, take a look at the disclosures dealing with Sig Sauer's elimination.

When it comes right down to it though, after all the testing and eliminations, the choice from whoever remains will more than likely come down to cost, availability and support. But that is only AFTER the testing. The selection is from the pool of manufacturers who passed all the other tests thrown at them. In the ATF case, After SIG was eliminated, it came down to GLOCK and S&W.

When a federal agency awards a contract to a firearms manufacturer, often times the contract is written to allow other agencies to piggyback off of that contract, which saves them a lot of time and hassle in re-testing. And it makes sense that if a gun passes the tests of the ATF/FBI/whatever large agency, it should also meet the needs of your local, small town PD or SO, right? So they may not purchase and issue the firearm that the departments officers like to fondle best, but that doesn't mean the department is getting something that isn't proven to meet their needs.

For information on the ATF contract, decision, the Phase II results released in responce to SIG's protest, and the requirements that submitted handguns would have to meet, see this link:
    http://pistol-training.com/archives/3642

16. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I know an officer that carries a Glock in 45 and he loves it.

17. Duke

Duke New Member

jdh31313

You wouldn't happen to work for "The Power Company" would you?

Adios
    Duke

18. rdinga

rdinga New Member

One of the elements of Murphy's Law is your weapon is made by the lowest bidder. Contract's, bids and image frequently over rule those whom are firearms enthusiast.
    You would be surprised at the number of people who carry a firearm with the same indifference that they carry a spare tire in their trunk. While I am not a LEO I carry a firearm as a daily part of my job. What I carry at work is a S&W M&P .40.

A More interesting question might be...If you could carry what you preferred at work..what would it be?

19. Ty D

Ty D New Member

If that were true then Taurus would be a larger player in the LE market. There are undoubtedly more reasons why GLOCK and S&W hold the overwhelming majority of LE contracts (federal and local) than just their low cost. I'd say it's probably due to their reliability, availability, customer service, and yes, cost.

20. ed4

ed4 Active Member

My brothers duty weapon is a Glock 23. He's a probation officer in gainesville.