If you were going to war

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by tace, Oct 26, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

Which rifle would you choose to be your primary weapon? Why?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Depends on my mission.

Remington 700 PSS or VS. :wink:

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Too Many Variables

Hard to say. What enemy would I expect to fight? From what distance? In what environment? Would they be behind cover, in vehicles, or on foot?

I think I'd like to have a 4x scoped semi-auto .308 for most purposes, something that would reach out to 500 yards easily. But I'd also like to be able to "quick detach" the scope and have some really big, bright-colored open sights, made for fast target acquisition at ranges from 20-75 yards. Most rifle sights are too small and precise for fast shooting in a high-stress environment at a moving target, I think.

4. tace

tace New Member

Re: Too Many Variables

That's the point. The odds are if you are having to pick your gun to go to war you don't know any of these. So, keep that in mind and pick one that suits your capabilities and survival in mind.

Me, if I could have a collapseable stock G3 with a scope that's what I would take. One thing is for sure I would want the gun to be a 7.62 cal , be it an AK or an HK.

5. cripple

cripple New Member

6. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I used an M16 for upwards of fifteen years, it's always been a pretty good compromise. That said, I wouldn't mind a operating system that didn't blow back hot waste gasses into the action and was in a larger caliber. Say, one of these in 6.5/6.8?

[​IMG]

(sorry, that was smaller when I first saw it)

7. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

Hey, that looks cool!! :D
    Who is that company? Never heard of it.

8. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Magpul Industries Same company that makes the Magpul PMags and a lot of neat stuff.

9. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Good ol' M-14.

Good range, hard hitting, accurate, full or semi-auto, reliable.

What more could one ask?

:rifle:

10. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I am no expert but I think I would go with my ROMAK-3:
    1-AK based, so it is ruged and does not need high maintenance.
    2-8x scope on it and you can still use the sights. Can hit easily a man at 600 meters
    3-7.62x54R has a balistic a little bit higher than 308 (but lower than 30-06).
    4-Only drawback is the weight of the rifle and the weight of the ammo if you compare to an AK or an AR based rifle.

Thank you

11. Claire

Claire New Member

M14 here

Mack & I can hang together with no money & no wife ;)

12. M249

M249 New Member

Hmmm... 5.56x45, 7.62x51, or 7.62x39.

Carry 600ish rounds of each, plus water, plus food, plus other gear for 18+ miles, do your mission, walk back, and let me know how it works out for ya.

Oh yeah, I have! Yeah, I'll take my M16 or M249.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Didn't know they made rifles. I think I saw a rifle with that name on it before, but never made the connection. Those AR15 anti-tilt followers are awesome.

14. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

FAL paratrooper model w\16" chrome lined barrel, Flash hider, detachable suppressor, standard length gas system, DSA "South Hampton" lower with an m16a2 style rear sight w/ tritium inserts, XS big stripe tritium front sight post, DSA picatinny rail dust cover, Larue Tactical SPR QD scope mount, Schmitt & Bender 1-4x scope for daytime, A Raptor NV scope for hunting booger eaters at night, one of those DSA forends w/ picatinny rails mounted on the sides and underneath for mounting a light and a IR laser/illuminator (current equivalent of a AN/PEQ-2) and last but not least an assortment of 20 and 30 round mags. The whole thing would be coated in Diamond Black or Ion Bond then have a multicam finish applied.

The folding stock would be one of the shortened ones for use with body armor.

Oh yeh, add a bayonet to the T.O.E. too.

15. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

+1 on the Fal. Every time I deploy and they hand me a M-16 i wish I had my FAL! Great for mid range to long distances with plenty of firepower.
    DSA SA58 FAL .308:
    [​IMG]
    Mid range rifle its a tie Sig 556 or HK53 5.56/.223:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    CQC gun its a tie!
    HK UMP or HK 94
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. jason1

jason1 New Member

I would need to go with

Myself if I need real firepower I would need to say its the M60 or Ma Deuce
    and Ma Deuce packs a punch.It great for putting holes into lightly-armored vehicles. :lol:

17. publius

publius Guest

Wow! 01coltcolt, your gun collection is worth more than the house I grew up in. And it was a nice house.

I'd take something like the GALAT'Z (the Galil "sniper rifle") or the M16 SAM-R (Squad Designated Marksman Rifle). The versatility of a proven assault rifle with the accuracy needed for long range engagement.

Being one who would always rather stay concealed and out think the other guy rather than out gun him, I'd love to choose the CheyTac Intervention (in .408 CheyTac). But not knowing the kind of battle I'd be walking into, that'd just be foolish. Lugging around a 20 pound bolt action rifle and a tactical ballistic computer doesn't really seem logical in some wars.

18. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

M-16. As an overall general platform I don't think it can be beat.

19. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

Re: I would need to go with

According to Jesse Jackson, the most prominent authority in firearms and ballistics, the M-16 is also very effective in making swiss cheese out of tanks. :lol:

20. merlock

merlock Active Member

Re: I would need to go with

:rotfl:

wait......

:puke: