Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nuff Said. Except go read the rest of the article.

Nemo

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/11/missouri-police-say-4-teens-used-pokemon-go-to-rob-people.html

Missouri police say 4 teens used 'Pokemon Go' to rob people
Published July 11, 2016, FoxNews.com

Authorities in Missouri said Sunday that four teens robbed victims after luring them to a specific location using the “Pokemon Go†smartphone game.

O’Fallon police said that four teens used the game to draw victims to a certain spot in the town and then robbed them. The new mobile game sends players to locations to collect “Pokemon†characters. Police said the robbers used the game to lure victims by putting a “beacon†at a location to draw in players.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
If you're 21 and playing Pokemon or whatever, you need to check yourself.

·
American
3,289 Posts
I had two 20-somethings (male had a hipster beard) with their heads buried in their phones walk right out in front of my moving vehicle Saturday chasing something with their phones. My son said that he could see Pokemon on his phone where they were pointing their phones. They never looked up from their screens.:banghead:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I had two 20-somethings (male had a hipster beard) with their heads buried in their phones walk right out in front of my moving vehicle Saturday chasing something with their phones. My son said that he could see Pokemon on his phone where they were pointing their phones. They never looked up from their screens.:banghead:
Similar experience last weekend on the Marietta Square. They were 3 or 4 fairly large groups of these "pokemon zombies" wandering around looking like idiots. My only real issue with this is when there are a large number of "whatevers" to collect in an area, there will be droves of these idiots. There is an Atlanta Reddit group *just* for this buffoonery and I have seen lots of comments about some of the parks and recreation areas where people will simply go out there, park and gather these "whatevers." I don't mind people using the parks, and parking in the lots...but it's already terribly busy, and as this gains popularity (it's been released in the US for only about a week) I can see that these droves will only increase in size and will start clogging up many of these public spaces. Ugh.... GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!

·
American
3,289 Posts
Similar experience last weekend on the Marietta Square. They were 3 or 4 fairly large groups of these "pokemon zombies" wandering around looking like idiots. My only real issue with this is when there are a large number of "whatevers" to collect in an area, there will be droves of these idiots. There is an Atlanta Reddit group *just* for this buffoonery and I have seen lots of comments about some of the parks and recreation areas where people will simply go out there, park and gather these "whatevers." I don't mind people using the parks, and parking in the lots...but it's already terribly busy, and as this gains popularity (it's been released in the US for only about a week) I can see that these droves will only increase in size and will start clogging up many of these public spaces. Ugh.... GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!
But it gets them up off their couches and out of their parents basements into the fresh air :whistle:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
But it gets them up off their couches and out of their parents basements into the fresh air :whistle:
Yeah, I have heard that dumbass argument. People can tell themselves anything to try and convince themselves that they aren't idiots. It doesn't work.

Last time I checked (and I got back from a nice jaunt around my neighborhood about 30 minutes ago) I didn't need (or even WANT) my phone (or any other electronic device) with me to "get outside."

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I didn't know what this was until I Google'd it.
I think anyone who frequents public gathering places will start to notice it. When I was at the square, the barkeep mentioned that these droves of people had been wondering around all day. It's hard to miss...they are truly like the walking dead...but not nearly as entertaining as the show.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
I think anyone who frequents public gathering places will start to notice it. When I was at the square, the barkeep mentioned that these droves of people had been wondering around all day. It's hard to miss...they are truly like the walking dead...but not nearly as entertaining as the show.
That's an apt description. Since it's all the rage I took the kids last night to observe and analyze. At 10pm in a public park we ran into at least 4-6 young adults engaged in the activity and another 2-3 sitting in a gazebo playing. Complaints above are valid. I had to stop the kids twice to explain that walking around in condition transparent, even with an armed dad on your six, is not a good idea.

Loaded it this morning to see what social media risks may exist. It definitely brings people together in odd places, zoned out, and often at night. It's a muggers dream because you can collect 4-6 high end devices from likely unarmed millennials who will then be left with no phone to call 911 with.

Also, it wants a lot of permissions and access to your camera and Google accounts. That's not a good security risk for a game unrelated to gmail. I created a burner account and will see if any untoward suspicions activity occurs.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Loaded it this morning to see what social media risks may exist. It definitely brings people together in odd places, zoned out, and often at night. It's a muggers dream because you can collect 4-6 high end devices from likely unarmed millennials who will then be left with no phone to call 911 with.

Also, it wants a lot of permissions and access to your camera and Google accounts. That's not a good security risk for a game unrelated to gmail. I created a burner account and will see if any untoward suspicions activity occurs.
I haven't read the details, but there seems to be quite a stir in the IT world about the permissions being quite invasive. The more and more I think about it, I think these "smart phones" will be the ultimate demise of our society. Look at the news that's going on; almost ALL of it has been propagated by "smart phone" usage.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
I haven't read the details, but there seems to be quite a stir in the IT world about the permissions being quite invasive.
Then It should come as no surprise that I'm an IT guy. ;)

Yes, the phone permissions and the Google gmail/drive permissions are basically "everything". There is no reason a game needs permission to download your files from Google drive or read your email.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,651 Posts
Heck, I was too old for the original pokemon. It came out when I was 20. Some of the husbands in my wife's mom's group are deep into Pokemon Go, and they're only six years younger than I am. I'm in the corner scratching my head and wondering, "Ain't y'all got jobs and families?"

·
American
3,289 Posts
Why? If they are doing something they enjoy doing and it's not hurting anyone, whats the problem?
Walking around like zombies, nearly stepping out in front of moving vehicles, etc. because they are chasing pretend, electronic, dodads in public places is why.

I hit one of these idiots and I'm the one with problems with insurance, police, etc. and all because they couldn't get their heads out of their six.

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
I don't understand all the vitriol over this. I was 13 when the first game came out... I've been playing Pokemon games in various video and card forms for almost 20 years.

It gives me something to do during lulls at work. It's not a privacy concern for me (created a burner Gmail account) and I've got the sense not to bury my nose in my phone while I'm playing.

It's a fad that will fade and soon enough.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts