If I'm CC'ing....

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by dwalker, Oct 20, 2007.

1. dwalker

dwalker New Member

Say in the grocery store and a LEO approaches me and asks me what I have under my shirt, what should my response be to him? I feel like I shouldn't have to tell him, but then again I don't want to lie. But, I really don't want to say 'oh, its a gun' and have him freak, which is quite likely I believe.

I'm sure this has been discussed plenty before, but just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks!

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I wouldn't want to lie, either. I'm not sure how likely it is, but it is a good question. I'd say that you have a valid GFL. You don't want to say too much because they aren't lying when they put you under arrest and say "anything you say can, and will, be used against you in the court of law". I'm not sure this specific question has been asked before.

3. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Just tell him you are happy to see him....and "Am I free to go?" :D

Seriously though, I would just say I'm CCing and I have a GFL. I'll assume if they ask, they probably already have a pretty good idea what it is. I would not reach for my GFL or expose my weapon unless they asked though.

4. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

This is my plan. Definitely, don't reach for anything unless all parties are expecting it.

5. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Seconded ... or thirded ... hell, I don't know. Just consider me agreeing with both of the above.

6. dwalker

dwalker New Member

good advice, I believe that I would do the same. Thanks!

7. merlock

merlock Active Member

I wouldn't lie, but I won't volunteer *any* info, either. My first response would be, "Am I free to go?"

Of course, since I OC most of the time anyway, this is just my :2cents:

8. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

"Sorry officer: it's really cold in here *blush*"

9. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

"It's a .40cal tumor."

10. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I would say that it's a personal life insurance policy. You wouldn't be lying at that point.

11. merlock

merlock Active Member

:rotfl:

:righton:

12. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=5705

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Interesting

Yeah, I wonder what would happen if you didn't answer the question. You could say something like: "Did you notice a bulge along my waist under my shirt? Like the kind of bulge a cellphone in a belt clip holder would make? Or a digital camera? Or that little portable radio/MP3 player that I like to wear while working out?

Unless he's got a reason to think it's a gun, he's not supposed to detain you, and the most he can do is follow you around and try to get a better look at your bulge to try to tell what you've got underneath.

Hmmm... I seriously doubt that's how he'd phrase it in his police report: A guy in the produce section of the Super WalMart at 3 a.m. caught my eye. I saw a bulge under his clothing and I stared at it and followed him around, looking for an opportunity to find out what he was packing down there....

14. Guest

Guest Guest

It really depends. If the officer is respectful to me, I will be more than happy to cooperate and help him do his job (IE, the manager may have called him and he is just trying to handle the complaint...).

Now if he is trying to be a hard @$$? "Am I Free to Go? So am I being detained? I have the right to be let alone. Am I being detained? I'll need you to speak to my lawyer." Then if he got real uppity and hauled me to the precinct (Or even better, County Jail) I'd wave at my police/Deputy buddies on my way into the holding cell ;-)

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

None ya. :D

16. M249

M249 New Member

"Howdy, sir. How are you today?"

If he persists:
    "Am I being detained, or am I free to go?"

If he continues, I guess I'll break out with: Linky

If you'd like to sing along:
    "Soyuz nerushimy respublik svobodnykh
    Splotila naveki velikaya Rus'!
    Da zdravstvuyet sozdanny voley narodov
    Yediny, moguchy Sovetsky Soyuz!

Slavsya, Otechestvo nashe svobodnoye,
    Druzhby narodov nadyozhny oplot!
    Partiya Lenina — sila narodnaya
    Nas k torzhestvu kommunizma vedyot!
    "

17. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Cool! It's the soundtrack from Hunt for Red October.

18. Macktee

Macktee New Member

"It's none of your damn business!"

"Am I free to go?"

"OK, it's a cell phone."

"A .357 cell phone, ready to reach out and touch any punk-ass thug who thinks he can simply take from me stuff I worked hard to obtain!"

"Am I free to go?"

:neener:

19. merlock

merlock Active Member

When I finally take the plunge and get a Mosin...I'll have to record that and put it on a boom box when I take it to the range! 8)

20. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

a paper hole punch. (that's all I ever used it for)