Idle Speculation

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, May 16, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Rules: I will not hold anything against anyone, and nobody here is speaking for anybody but themselves.

(1) What do you think is possible to accomplish in the Georgia General Assembly within one or two years?

(2) What would you be content (if not happy) with accomplishing within that time period?

(3) Are there any tradeoffs you would make, personally, to accomplish the things you stated in (1) and (2)?

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

a) I think we can get resturant/alcohol carry of some sort. Texas or Florida style but almost certainly not Alabama style if that makes sense.

b) Maybe a slight clarification of the PG law. Take out the "to" language so that we can legally leave our gun in the car at a PG.

C) Also, maybe have the "shall not be limited to" language taken out.

No new off-limits places added, at least one currently off-limits place repealed. :wink:

The only way I'd make a trade-off such as a qualification requirement is if we got a complete pro-carry overhall.

I'm going to take heat for this but I might do away with intentional open carry (not accidental) if we got a MAJOR reduction in the off-limits places.

Basically, I don't want to compromise. :x

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

1. Public Gathering-This is the bane of every GFL holder's existence. If speculation and rumors hold true, then I think this could be done. I would like to see HB43 SB89 come back to life next session. Between the two I would rather have SB89 passed. I always worry that "what if" I forgot my GFL and got pulled over. It would also save my spouse in case she was pulled over and I accidently left my pistol in the vehicle. (Never done that, but a first time for everything.)

2. I would be happy to at least get HB43/SB89 passed. I will kiss MP's feet if somehow within the couple of years the PG law is repealed.

3. I would trade HB43/SB89 in a heartbeat to repeal the PG law.

4. tony218

tony218 New Member

No new off-limits places added, at least one currently off-limits place repealed. :wink:

The only way I'd make a trade-off such as a qualification requirement is if we got a complete pro-carry overhall.

I'm going to take heat for this but I might do away with intentional open carry (not accidental) if we got a MAJOR reduction in the off-limits places.

Basically, I don't want to compromise. :x[/quote:1leer8bc]

but what would determine intentional? if your cover garment only
    covered half of your holster some LEO might say that is exposing it.

other than that i agree with you

5. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I would too! :D

6. Malum Prohibitum

I intend to hold you to that! :lol:

7. Malum Prohibitum

Let's not argue within this thread. I want people to speak freely.

I will say that I think I am more optimistic than everybody so far! :D

8. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I think a good avenue would be to go after restrictions on where people can carry and concentrate of certain acts while in the possession of a firearm/weapon. Obviously, criminal acts would be included, but stuff like actual consumption of alcohol would take the place of being in a place were alcohol is sold for consumption on the premises.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Well that is the best thing I have heard all day.

10. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

1. Possible or want; Possible what we and GCO can do, Want only off limit place are same as federal.

2. No more restriction, any good legislation. Atleast get rid of PG!

3. NO!

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

1. repeal PG law
    2. repeal PG law
    3. I would give up my GFL if I could carry without one!!!

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I think that in 1-2 years we can get a total overhaul of GA carry laws. Just imagine a GA without the PG laws, without restrictions on where alcohol is sold for comsumption, without public trans being off limits.... etc.. etc... etc. I would be willing to give in on non-faculty not being allowed to carry at public schools, for grades K-12. College students with a GFL should be allowed to carry. I would also be willing to give in on open carry without a GFL, as long as the probate courts step up to the plate and get GFLs issued in a timely manner, and officers don't stop anyone seen open carrying to harrass them about whether or not they have a GFL.

It's not like we want anything ground breaking. Everything we want has been implemented elswhere and has been successful.

Edited to add: No parking lots off limits anywhere. HB43,SB89, and HB6 passed.

13. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

(1) What do you think is possible to accomplish in the Georgia General Assembly within one or two years?
    1. Public gathering should be well defined and leave no grey areas.
    2. Remove restaurant restrictions.
    3. Allow car storage while at a defined PG. Not in a dissassembled state or anything nutty like that. Perhaps glove box or console.
    4. Weapons on school property currently says you can have one on you or left in a locked container in your car while picking up or dropping off. I would like to see it allow a firearm left in the vehicle during any type of visit. I see my kids at school for lunch and sporting events pretty frequently. It would be nice not to have to go home and drop off the gun first.

(2) What would you be content (if not happy) with accomplishing within that time period?
    #1 and #3 above.

(3) Are there any tradeoffs you would make, personally, to accomplish the things you stated in (1) and (2)?
    No. We already have very limited rights.

14. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

In the next 2 years I'd say
    it's possible to:
    Pass the Katrina bill
    get rid of or clarify the public gathering clause
    allow carry in restaurants that don't get 51% of sales from alcohol

I'd be content to see any of the following passed
    HB89
    SB43

I'd willing trade HB89 and SB43 to pass the Katrina bill or fix PG law.

15. Malum Prohibitum

:lol:

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'll be able to give this more thought to this after I am done my reading for the day...

But right off the top of my head...I think trying to get individual statutes changes will be a lot harder than a complete rewrite. If changes are submitted individually then they will attack and pick at each little thing.

A complete rewrite will overwhelm them and I feel we would have to compromise less in the end.

17. kkennett

kkennett New Member

1) Possible: A Colorado style reform. This would include whittling the restricted places down to those that provide security (i.e., courthouses, airports, etc.), schools, and bars. This is dreaming and will require hard work, but is possible.

2) Content: Remove 'shall not be limited to' and recover restaurant carry.

3) Compromise: Although I wouldn't like it, I would give up 'no carry with any BAC' to get rid of just about all the restrictions (Michigan style). This means no drinking in those restaurants that serve. One could then make a choice based on the circumstances. I might also give up training requirements to get rid of the bulk of the restrictions.

18. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

I too would not have a problem with having to take a course for a concealed carry permit, ala Kentucky. It would create some part time jobs for those of us who would get certified. But open carry would have to be made legal for those without a CCP.

19. john

john New Member

MP PLEASE KEEP YOUR SHOES ON!!
    As to gun rights, I WANT IT ALL. And yes we can get it.

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I want it all,
    I want it all,
    and I WANT IT NOW!!