Idea: Light .38 wadcutters

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by gunsmoker, Nov 27, 2010.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Why doesn't anybody make a .38 special wadcutter load that uses a very light bullet.
    148 grain wadcutters are pretty big slugs that use a lot of lead.
    For close range plinking and casual target practice, how about using an 80 grain bullet?
    Small bullet and light powder load = cheap and fun to use at range.
    And since most shooters don't reload anyway, they could make the cases out of aluminum, steel, plastic, or something cheaper than brass.

Maybe they could sell such ammo for $9 / 50 instead of $14 or whatever the going price is these days?

2. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

I'm not a .38 special expert but the twist rate of a standard .38 may not stabilize a load like that making it highly inaccurate.

ETA: Looks like a 100gr wadcutter is about as light as it goes, there are some 95gr loads as well.

3. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

I've reloaded 125 gr lead FP bullet from Magnus over 4grs of AA#2. It was a nice super low recoil plinking round. They also make a 130 gr SWC.

I'vev never see anything lower than that.

4. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

In that case just use wax bullets! well cept for them there autos maybe!

http://www.suite101.com/content/wax-bul ... at-a141790

[​IMG]

$25 per thousand
    http://www.gunfighter.com/waxbullets/

5. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I used to shoot bullseye with my Colt Python using .38 Special 100 grain wadcutters and at 50-75 feet they were plenty accurate. I did not load them, but I told the guy who loaded them for me (commercial reloader) all they had to do was fly 75 feet hit a piece of paper and fall through the other side.

I've shot .22s that kicked worse.

6. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

Refer to your reloading manual when using lead and light charges or the squib will get you.

7. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

100 grn wadcutters are already available

8. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I have, and I load, some .357 66 grain wadcutters.... Of course, I load them in stacks of three!

9. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

"...and some of these bullets are wad-cutters, which means they have sharp edges... so you can mow your lawn at the same time you shoot someone..."

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

So why don't commercial reloading / remanufacturing companies start loading range ammo with these 66-grain or 100-grain slugs?

Lead is expensive. Shipping on ammo is expensive. Lighter bullets mean cheaper ammo for more than one reason.

Handloaders can do all kinds of things, and they save a lot of money compared to buying factory made ammo.

I want to see light-bullet .38 special loads offered factory-new or commercial remanufactured, ready to buy and use.