Idea???? -- GCO Educates and Trains GA Lawmakers.....

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by GrimJack, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Great Idea

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dumbest Thing I have ever heard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. What is GCO?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

I was listening to one of many podcats today on the way to a class (I had about 2 and a half hours to sit on GA400).

This podcast was Gun Talk hosted by Tom Gresham http://www.guntalk.com

They had the guy from ConcealedCampus.org on the show discussing their open holster movement to try to get Ohio to allow CCW license holders to carry legally on the college campuses. Anyway they added a gentleman to the interview that is a pro CCW gentleman from Utah (I don't remember his name, sorry). He was discussing how they have this ability in Utah and the discussion was covering what the guys in Ohio can do to "win over" the state legislators. The gentleman from Utah said one of the most powerful tools they have employed is giving the lawmakers free CCW training and taking them to the range. They have a few lawmakers that help them encourage other lawmakers that are not familiar with CCW and using firearms for personal defense to take advantage. I think this would be a great idea if we could get some of the local instructors / range owners to donate their time and facilities. Since GA doesn't have a training requirement we could develop a training program that taught basic gun safety, rights to self defense, the very confusing GFL rules, and instances where a good guy having a weapon saved a life and instances where the opposite was true (mother/daughter killed in the park), could give stats on how strict gun laws don't have positive impact on reducing crime (DC, NY, CA, etc) and where the opposite is true (Kennesaw, changes in violent crimes after CCW was enacted). Then take them onto the range and give them some first hand experience with the weapons and their proper use. I know my wife was fairly anti-gun until her first trip to the range. If a program is developed and a positive experience can be had then I think we might pull some people off the fence and into the light. Then if we can get more people that are standing in total darkness to even consider climbing on the fence then perhaps we could bring them into the light as well. We must find a positive way to get our message out and the lawmakers are the people we need to convince. We would have to check on the ethics rules and see how this would work if we provided it free to them (by generous donations from the instructors and range operators of course).

What do you guys think? Especially MP and the board of GCO?Gre

2. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

So many people have read this but nobody has replied? No comments people? Not even from MP, missing an opportunity to up the post count.

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I believe it is a great idea and maybe even create a lunch type of gathering. Something even like the fall lunch we are having. This shows the responsibility side of people carrying and how they go about it

I like the idea!

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This may be a sticking point. Th eother issue would be getting them the info they need to learn in the amount of time that we may get from them. We may not be able to get more tan an hour or two of their time. Would some of them be willing to travel a few hours for a class? Do we have certified instructors who would offer their time and ranges that would offer their facilities?

5. b8fish

b8fish Member

Sounds a good idea. Just need to identify "who" is "we". It is easy to generate many really good ideas but each idea needs a champion willing to volunteer the not inconsiderable amount of time and energy to make it happen - take ownership, build a plan, identify resources available and/or required and assemble a volunteer team to realize the vision. MP can't do it all (I dont think)

This board is a good source of volunteers - just need the leader.

6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

If I recall correctly MP said there would be a few lawmakers at our lunch in November.

7. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Oooooo, podcast. I'm going to be all over this.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

MP been workin' today . . .

9. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

It seems that you have found the thread. What are your thoughts?

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think it sounds like a good idea, so long as the training is offered by somebody personable who has the skill set required to train appropriately students.

11. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Who do we know that would be good. Ken is the only trainer I have had, he is great but may come off a little "hard core" (no offense Ken) to those on the fence or on the Brady's side of the fence. I would really like to find a good NRA basic handgun course instructor in the north metro area to send my wife to a class (and my kids when they get a little older).

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

The NRA Basic course is really quite simple. Anyone here could master teaching it with little thought. But for this exercise, we'd definitely want someone friendlier than GG.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I won't give names without their permission, but we have atleast two members who are NRA certified pistol instructors. If needed, I could also talk to a friend who is one.