Idea for the PREPPERS!!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Marine6212, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

2. jsaund22

jsaund22 Ninjaneering Computers

I'll be using this, some of these, and one of these:

[​IMG]

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

waterproof?

Marine6212, are those big black footlocker-looking storage and transport cases supposed to be waterproof?

I would not recommend burying guns in the ground in anything that is not 100% watertight.

And even then, I'd like to have the guns vacuum-sealed in plastic bags to keep air away from them. Regular outdoor air in this part of the USA has enough humidity in it that it can rust metal even without actual water intrusion.

If you were burying guns in truly airtight containers, I wonder if you could "purge" the air out of the container and replace it with a dry inert gas?
    Kind of like how high performance cars have nitrogen-filled tires instead of air-filed tires. No moisture = no change in volume or pressure based on temperature.

4. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I completely understand a secret weapons cache if you truly believe the SHTF type scenrio is likely, but other than that, I think its kind of dumb to bury your guns if you're a law abiding type person and the .GOV comes looking for them. JMHO.

Also as stated, a lot of prep to fight moisture and even just oxygen needs to be done to make sure that when you take them out, weapons and ammo are still going to be in good working condition.

Also, smart to put some other good items near by if you're thinking of doing other things. Clothes, shoes, food, water purification systems are all good ideas.

Taking a handful of nails and throwing them about are not a bad idea.

Do it right under a metal fence isn't a bad idea, either. Also, burying it deep as well.

5. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

Hell, I figure if the Gov.was gonna come after our guns they would use satellite immages for the past XX days after the anouncment to see if you did bury them and jsut walk out in your back yard and dig them up!!

As far as being water tight, I would assume they are most weapon storage cases are from the military!

Semperfi,
    Marine6212

6. Don27

Don27 Member

When they come for them is the time to use them. Squirrels bury supplies and ostriches hide from the facts. Don't be an ostrich.

7. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

+ a zillion

Sent from my iPhone using Georgia Packing

8. Deek

Deek Active Member

Just get various widths/lengths of pvc pipe with threaded ends and caps. Way cheaper, easier to bury (if you're actually thinking about doing any of this), you can seal them with silicone, just as good as any purpose built storage container.

Personally, I think this would be a lot of effort for a problem that will never exist.

9. Matt43R

Matt43R New Member

Just coat everything with a liberal amount of grease that you use in wheel bearings and such. You'll have to clean them before use, but they will stay preserved for a few years that way.

10. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

Yes it is, I don't believe we will be alive to see this happen our 4th or 5th generation grandchildren might see it!

Sent from my iPhone using Georgia Packing

11. EJR914

True, and we can assume just like our Founders did that firearm technology will continue to get better and better, especially when you're talking about 5 generations after us.

Hopefully at some point they are going to be shooting directed energy weapons which is just going to completely rock! :) :righton:

Can you imagine somebody looking at a Modern firearm like the M8 or something and talking about what an old Piece of Crap that it is and how it stinks?

Yeah, we're going there.

12. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

GunSmoker is right. The moisture in the air you seal up inside the box is going to be a problem. Even inert gas presents it's own moisture/condensation problems, so you would need to pack in quite a bit of desiccant to dry the encapsulated air.

A poor mans solution would be to close off a room and dehumidify it to very low levels with the cases open. Let stand for several days, enter room, throw in desiccant, seal.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  13. EJR914

Not a bad idea at all... :-k

14. RebelCowboySnB

RebelCowboySnB Opinion Taken Elsewhere.

Or just do it mid winter when its very cold...

15. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Is humidity really that much of a problem?

Before I shipped off to Germany (way back last century) I cleaned all my guns and gave them a good wiping down with Eezox. They stayed in an un-heated, un-air conditioned outdoor shack for three years (and six months) until I could get back to pick them up. Blued guns, nitrocarburized guns, even a few with metal still in the white because they were in the middle of being worked on. Three years of humid Georgia summers and wet Georgia winters. Came back to find not a single speck of rust on any of them and the only protection they had was a foot locker and Eezox.