ID: Teen Open Carries At 18 Legally

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Jun 4, 2007.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

http://www.kxly.com/news/?sect_rank=3&s ... y_id=11290

Post Falls teen openly, and legally, carrying gun

POST FALLS -- A teenager in Post Falls is exercising his right to bare arms to the letter, which is catching the attention of the town and the local police.

Zach Doty turned 18 in early April. Since then, he has been stopped more than twice for carrying a gun out in the open.

“I was wearing a suit and tie at the time,†Doty says about the first time he was stopped, “on my way to bible study.â€

The Dotys have about 10 guns in their home ranging from hunting rifles, shot guns to the 9mm glock pistol that Zach carries on his hip. He doesn't expect crime, but wants to be prepared.

zach doty: “I also believe that it's very essential to open carry,†he says, “not just for self-defense from criminals but to protect liberty from tyranny.â€

Zach's father supports his son completely.

“The law does give the boys the right to carry arms and we can support that,†Jude Doty says, “and we wish more people would do that. It would probably reduce things that happened in Virginia Tech last month.â€

In a city of 20,000, violent crime isn't exactly commonplace.

“Our crime rate for crimes against persons, major crimes, is very low in the community,†says Post Falls Lt. Scott Haug.

Idaho code allows people 18 and older to openly carry a firearm in public. Those aged 13-17, with parental permission, are allowed to carry a rifle.

It's not every day one sees teenagers walking down the street with a handgun or rifle out in the open. The Post Falls Police Department has recieved phones calls on both sides of the issue. Some people want laws changed so they can't carry openly, while others very much in support of their right to do so. Either way, the right comes with responsiblity.

“What if the person tripped and the gun went off?†Lt. Haug says. “What if someone took it away from them and misused it? Those are the concerns some people have. And the other side feels it's a deterrent, and they'll look at cases like Virginia Tech, and say had people at Virginia Tech been armed, maybe things would have changed a little bit.â€

Zach Doty says he'd like to see as many people as possible carry guns, because the more people who carry, the less crime there's gonna be.

“I don't expect I'll have to use this very often, if at all,†he says, “but I'd rather have it and not need it tha to need it and not have it.â€

2. tace

tace New Member

I like how the LEO didn't bother stating that a Glock wouldn't just go off is someone "tripped".

3. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Good. A few more kids like that and I might start believing in America again.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Pictures of the kids carrying on the other thread.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Does this mean he wears tank tops?

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock:

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Nah, wife beaters and muscle shirts.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member