I would like to hear your opinion on this.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Aug 1, 2007.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

A few days ago in Phoenix two helicopters crashed into each other while covering a speeding driver that police were chasing. I heard on Foxnews last night that the DA in Phoenix is now thinking about charging the driver of the car with the deaths of the 4 in the helicopters.

I say this is ridiculous. Although I feel terrible for the familes, The news agencies involved did not have to cover the event. They wanted to. They assumed the risk. The pilots involved were responsible for keeping safe flying conditions. Evidently one copter came to close to the other and there rotars hit.

Copters in the sky covering news events use something called "stacking" when they reach the scene. The first copter there gets the best spot...say 500 feet above the chase. The second copter there is positioned 500 feet above the first and so on.

Even LEO's can break off a pursuit if it becomes too dangerous and there is no reason why news copters cannot do the same thing.

2. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Well there's such a thing as felony murder where you can get a murder charge stacked onto another felony charge if someone dies during the commission of a felony (if someone was shot by a bank robber) you don't have to prove the mens rea which makes it a real attractive option for prosecutors. But this situations seems like it would hardly apply.

:roll: indeed

3. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

So...is Mike Nifong the DA out there now? :lol:

Seriously, that is a bunch of BS. It was a mistake, everyone knows it. Those fellows were doing a job and an accident happened. Just because they were covering the chase didn't make it happen nor is the fleeing driver responsible for their actions in the air.

It was a terrible mistake, that is all, IMHO.

4. merlock

merlock New Member

+1

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Agreed.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I was going to say that I didn't think that the charges would fly, then I realized how that would sound.

It would be a stretch to make felony murder fit.

7. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Would they have charged the Braves if it had happened over a baseball game?
    :roll:

8. fallison

fallison New Member

According to what was said last night on Fox, under Arizona law, the charge could be second degree murder.

9. merlock

merlock New Member

Seems to me that the chopper pilots (either one OR both) were violating FAA regulations, pertaining to visual flight. They are the ones that should be blamed first.

10. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

it is unfortunate that two individuals died in those crashes, but it was clearly pilot error in both choppers. It had nothin to do with the car chase below. Jut like one member said, if it happened over a game or at an air show, which happened three times this past week. Is the ball team or the air show responsible for the crashes. The answer is NO. This is one of those cases where we need to have less attorney's, so they do not ahve so much time on their hands for stupid stuff like this and suing Starbucks for "hot" tea.

11. HannitizedRushBaby

HannitizedRushBaby New Member

Here's how I feel about it...

I have a hard time having sympathy when a news reporter (or someone unnecessary to true progress) is injured/kidnapped/killed in Iraq. They CHOOSE to go there... and they aren't fighting for our country. Sadly, they are usually not even on "our" side... their typically there to smear or write bad things about OUR soliders.

So I don't feel that the U.S. or even Bush (yes, I know... I'm just a silly conservative... I don't believe that everything that goes wrong in the U.S. is Bush's fault!!!) should be held responsible for their injury or death. And, worse, if they are kidnapped... I think that it's horrible that we have to spend time and energy trying to save them. (And possibly putting our soliders at further risk!)

Maybe I'm just too mean? But that's how I feel about this story also... these reporters choose to be there... it's not the driver/idiot's fault!!

12. rajl

rajl New Member

I don't know what Arizona laws are, but I call BS. I fail to see how the guy on the ground is responsible for bad piloting in the air.

13. AeroShooter

AeroShooter New Member

Speaking as a pilot, I have to concur with your opinion. There are only two individuals that bear responsibility for this crash and they are the pilots of the helicopters. The FAR's do not split hairs when it comes to maintaining separation: it is the responsibility of ALL pilots to see & avoid other traffic. What is happening on the ground is irrelevant.

I am unfamiliar with the stacking procedures of news helicopters but I do know from my understanding of the physics of rotorcraft that it is generally a bad idea to stack helicopters in such a manner. The machine is moving a considerable volume of air through the rotor disk, its influence can extend several hundred feet above the rotor disk. The risks are that flying above a helicopter can result in an aircraft being sucked into the lower air vehicle (which is what I believe happened in this case, but my data is limited) or flying under a helicopter can result in an uncontrolled loss of altitude with the possibility of impacting the terrain.

As to the value of the news 'copters being there? Meh, if you've seen one car chase, you've seen them all. Four people died to bring us the three M's -- murder, misery, & mayhem -- and not as genuine news but as eye candy so they could sell advertisements.

Which makes me ask the question: did this crash occur because one network was trying not to be scooped by the other?

As to the DA, are we surpised that he's piling on charges? Looks good in court, looks good to the common folk... who complains when they lock up a bad person for a really long time?

I could go further to ponder the question of why the DA's think it better to boast of their conviction rate rather than express a measure that more accurately describe the quality of the justice they've administered -- but that's a whole new thread entirely.

14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Aeroshooter, thanks for your post. It is very informative. The "stacking" that I mentioned came from a seasoned news helo pilot that was interviewed on Foxnews the day it happened.

I think you are right on as far as the news organizations trying to "out scoop" the other. In the times we live in it makes perfect sense. Sell, sell, sell.