I went to the Zoo, and drank the kool-aid!

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by a-squared, Jan 23, 2011.

1. a-squared

a-squared New Member

Was a pleasure to meet you CB, you did excellent work.

Here is my Zookeeper custom holster made to fit my XD(m) 3.8". Black leather with inlaid gray cane toad skin. The matching mag holder can be alternated between vertical and horizontal positions.

Thanks again Zookeeper, incredibly proud to wear this out and about.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JockeyShifter

JockeyShifter New Member

Awesome work! I know you carry proudly!

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

4. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

If you don't mind me asking, how much did that beauty cost you?

5. Nullifier

Nullifier Active Member

I'm sure a masterpiece like that must cost a pretty penny, but worth every bit of it and more!

Beautiful!

6. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

the toad is so far my favorite exotic to work with, thanks for trusting me with your gun and letting me make that for you :)

i don't have a product line or price list, every thing i make is custom designed to your specs and priced based on materials and a little tossed in for my time. most of the holsters i have been making for forum members here have fallen in the 90-130 range, mag holders 30-50, i hope that helps.

7. a-squared

a-squared New Member

I don't mind, and I'll just say that it was in the range posted above :)

I don't want to say a specific price so I don't pigeon hole the Zookeeper. It was definitely worth every penny, pictures don't do the craftsmanship justice.

8. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

That is a very nice looking combo you got there. I like how the can toad accents the black looks really good.Zookeeper is getting better every holster from what i see. :righton:

9. mtber1172

mtber1172 Member

That is bad to the bone. Love it!

10. daily packer

daily packer New Member

That is by far the best looking holster and mag pouch yet!!!!! Love the ability to were the mag pouch either way!!! Cant wait to save enough to buy my Zookeeper special!!! :love: :righton:

11. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

the mag holder is an original, it was a-squared's idea, i just ran with it and i believe it will prove very functional with good retention.

12. howie1932

howie1932 New Member

Very nice looking holster for a nice looking gun. I might have to talk to Chuck about getting a mag pouch like that to go with my holster.
    How are you liking the new XDm Compact? I was pondering replacing my XD Subcompact with one of those.

13. a-squared

a-squared New Member

I like the XDm alot! I haven't had but a few days to carry it since I didn't get a holster for it. I have put 100-150 rounds down the pipe at a range. It is very tight out of the box and shoots well, no fte or ftf.

Only thing I might have changed is trigger to shorter pull and reset, but I want to shoot it more to see how it feels after 500 rounds before that.

I will post some feedback on the mag holder as I get to wear it more, but I don't forsee any issues with operation or retention.

14. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

Zoo,

This is about what I would like mine to look like when you get around too it...check your old PMs. Leaving for 4-1/2 weeks and will be incommunicado. Great looking holster and mag holder!

Wife wants a set up for her SIG 226 with Cobra on it. Yes, she is a lefty as well.

Will contact you when I get back from my little mini-deployment to pay up! Let me know if you will be able to start them in early March.

Vooduchikn

15. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

Now, wait just a minute there. His first was his best!!! J/K

That toad skin looks really good. :righton:

Just wait until the holster is broken-in. It is so comfortable that I've taken several naps with mine on me.

16. a-squared

a-squared New Member

I promised Zookeeper I would give some feedback on the mag holder since it was his first constructed this way.

I'm quite pleased with it. Since it has ability to wear vertical or horizontal and is missing any kind of cover or strap, we were concerned about retention. The retention has been great on it, and I've rocked it mostly in the horizontal position.

My belt gives some added thickness to improve the already perfect retention anyways. I personally like the ability to pull my mag out "forward" instead of "upward", it just feels smoother to me. Besides, if I change my mind, I'll just turn it up :righton:

Anyways, if you have an idea for Zookeeper to try, don't hesitate, his work is awesome and well thought out. I've included some pics for show and tell.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

great pictures, thanks! i'm gonna make my next mag holder just like that.