I was think about having a custom bolt action built any idea

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gunsmoke50, Oct 22, 2006.

1. gunsmoke50

gunsmoke50 New Member

I was think of having a custom bolt action rifle built for me by a local company in Forsyth County named Steyr Arms inc.They build handguns, bolt action,and class 3 MG's for the LEO's.There stuff is pretty cool that they make but I want a short bolt action rifle built so that I can reload quickly for a follow up shoot.I was think of having a heavy barrel custom made if I can..I'm not sure what caliber I should use but it needs to be a hunting round and go about 650 to 1000 yards I want to have military specifications or better on it. I’m trying to make a true sniper rifle/hunting rifle. :D :) My main question is can someone give me ideas how to trick it out more. What kind of scope and mounts/bi-pod/how long should the barrel be.My wallet has a small budget which is about 1,300 dollars on this build. My firearm range FFL told me he can get them to build custom for me. :lol: P.S here is Steyr Arms web page http://www.steyrarms.com/index.php?id=61

2. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

First and foremost make sure that the barrel is free-floated. You don't want to have the barrel in contact with any foreign surface that could transfer vibrations.

3. Panther_LR308

Panther_LR308 New Member

Sniper/Hunting Rifle

Not sure about the bolt action. I have the Panther RFLR-308 by DPMS.

[​IMG]

Not sure where to get the bolt action upper. You will want to go with the free float tube. If you get an aluminum tube you can drill and tap it to add additional rails as needed for accessories. I prefer this over the pre configured rail tubes. I can position the add on rails on the tube where I want them. I can also remove unused tubes or add more depending on the type of shooting I am doing. You will also want an A2 flat top. Removable Rear sight. I wish I had gone with the 3 rail gas block and removable front sight instead of the AR style front sight. A mil dot scope with 50 MM objective and at least 6X24 Zoom. You will need 1' riser rings for your scope. I also had to add an additional riser to clear the charging handle. You should not have that problem on a bolt. If a Mil Dot is financially out of the question (it is for me) I use a 6X24X50 Red/Green Lighted cross hair. This gets me 1 MOA at 600 Meters using NATO LR308 Match ammo. Make sure if using NATO it is head stamped LR. Next a Bipod. The Harris bipods are a bit more expensive but I have found they are worth it. If you are planning on some serious LR shooting do NOT get one that pans and tilts. Get one that mounts to either a swivel stud or a weaver rail. Either the swivel or the rail can be mounted to the free float tube. Also don't get a barrel mount bipod. A treaded 16" to 20" Heavey Barrel and at least one each flash hidder and muzzel break. Sometimes the flash hidder is best and sometimes the break is better. Different days, temps and winds. If you are going to shoot LR comp. go to Wal-Mart and get one of the Yoga mats. They are great for shooting prone and seated. You can also add laser, light and night vision.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Hunting? 650 to 1000 yards?

I hope you are not serious. I have spent a lot of time shooting at 350 - 500 yards (Remington 700VS in .308, unmodified except for a trigger adjustment), and at least one member of this board has watched me put four rounds through the same hole at 100 yards shooting prone on the gournd off a bipod so that you could not tell it was more than one bullet fired at the same location (until I ruined it with the fifth round, which landed perceptibly over to the left a fraction of an inch :soapbox: ). I like to hunt as well. I would never dream of attempting a shot at 1000 yards on a game animal. I believe too much that I owe it to the animal to make a clean kill.

I hope you do not find my post too harsh, but if you have not personally spent a lot of time shooting at those distances, I suggest you try it out (a lot) before taking to the field. The drop on a typical large game round at that distance is huge. Wind drift, heat, &c.

1000 yards is more than half a mile.

I would not find the attempt humane. While I realize you have not asked for my opinion on this matter, I beg you to spend some time finding the limits of a rifle and a rifleman so that an animal is not left wounded and suffering in the field.

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

100 percent in agreement with MP on this one. There is absolutely no reason to take a hunting shot at those distances and so many reasons not to such as...

- "be sure of your target and whats beyond" at 1000 yards there is a large chance for mis-identification of your target.

- high probability of effects of wind/weather on the round resulting in a miss or worse a wounding shot, not a clean kill.

- less energy retained by the bullet at longer distances resulting in poor performance and wounded game that is unrecoverable.

I personally have never found a need to take a hunting shot at more than 300 yards (antelope in Colorado). I hope that you’re just looking for good accuracy for hunting at shorter ranges, and the option of long range target shooting in the same rifle. That being said, I think that your budget of $1300 will not get you what you want. Optics alone for such a rifle could exceed your budget easily.

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Long Range Rifle

I know a couple of long range competors. Custom 1000 yard guns cost 5 - 6 thousand dollars.

7. Malum Prohibitum

By the way, Steyr is an Austrian company. They make some excellent rifles, but they are a bit pricey.

If you are looking for military specifications, why not go with what the military uses? The receiver is based off a Remington 700 receiver. Just about any of the Remington rifles with an aluminum bedding block and a free floated heavy barrel are going to give you the accuracy you seek if you use good ammunition. 700 VS, 700PSS (and the new shorter version - forget the name), Sendero, and others are all in the $700-800 range.

For optics, a Leupold VariX-III should do what you want. Pick the magnification that suits your needs. Get an adjustable objective model (AO on the Leupold charts). Do not go any cheaper than Leupold, or you will be unhappy. The scope I am speaking of will probably run you less than $700 (or maybe a slight bit more). Once you throw in the rings and base (Leupold again), your budget is busted a little bit, but you will have a very accurate rifle without the need for a custom price.

A custom rifle will be more accurate, but unless you are competing with it, you should not notice the difference, and the custom rig will be way more expensive. For hunting, you will never notice any difference in accuracy. You also will probably never wish to carry the custom rifle into the field, as it is sure to be heavier than the 12 pounds or so that the Remington will weigh (and that gets heavy enough to carry around).

8. Malum Prohibitum

This site will help you sort some of the fact from fiction.

Sniper Country

9. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I know I'm reviving a very old thread, but I just had an idea.

If you want to buy a factory-ready sniper rifle / tactical bolt rifle you're probably going to want a .308 because that's by far the most popular caliber. Your choices in caliber will be few. The .308 is good, but the ballistics of the .308 are not the best out there. Several other calibers offer less bullet drop and less wind deflection and more retained velocity at extreme ranges. Some of these calibers are popular hunting rifle rounds.

Consider the 7mm Rem. Mag. It's a very popular deer and big game rifle cartridge. Ammo is available everywhere, and some of it is affordable (for target practice). Premium ammo can be pricey, but with excellent performance.

The 7mm Rem. Mag will push a bullet that weighs the same as a .308 or .30-06, but it will start out 200 f.p.s. faster at the muzzle. And because the 7mm bullet is slimmer (less wind resistance), it has a better ballistic coefficient and doesn't drop as much at 500 or 1000 yards. The difference in bullet drop may only be a couple inches at medium ranges, but it can be over a foot at longer ranges.

I'm just sayin' to give the 7mm Rem Mag a look if you're considering a non-military caliber for long range work. It's got a lot less recoil than the .300 magnums or the extremely expensive .338 Laupa.

And if you want a short-action rifle and like the .308 but wish it shot a little flatter, consider the 7mm-08 Remington. It's just a .308 necked down to take a slimmer bullet that starts out faster and shoots flatter.

10. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

Re: Long Range Rifle

I have a rifle with an effective range of 1800 meters (I **think** 2,000 yards) and a maximum range of over 2 miles.

I got it for $900.

11. Ashe

Ashe New Member

Please share :p