I was asked for proof of Insurance at a License Check.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Dec 4, 2006.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

This past Saturday my wife and I encountered a license check. As I approached the next officer with drivers license in hand, he asked for proof of insurance. Before I had the chance to say, "Georgia Law states that I do not have to carry proof of insurance anymore" he told me to pull over to the side of the road to keep from holding up traffic. He then moved on to the next car. Let me add that he kept my drivers license. As my wife was looking for her insurance card in the glove box (we were in her car) I kept trying to get the officers attention to inform him that my wife did not have to have her insurance card. About that time she found it.

Another officer came over and ask me what was going on and I explained everything to him and he apoligized to me and said that he did not know why that officer told me to look for our insurance card. I told him someone needed to update him on the law. He went and retrieved my DL from the other officer and let us go. I wasn't packing that day. I can only imagine what this officer would have done had he found out that I had a gun in the car.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:D

Surprised you didn't get Tasered . . .

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

They didn't want a car with an electrocuted driver holding up traffic...

4. GeorgiaGlocker

We were running late and we had probably driven 5 miles when I realized that I had forgotten my Glock. I new we didn't have time to turn around and go back.

5. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Politely tell them to pound sand.

6. blare

blare Guest

Can anyone point out the Code Number for where it says that we only need a DL now?

7. artz

artz New Member

Forgot ? I could never forget my firearm ! :shock:

8. GeorgiaGlocker

Yeah Artz, I couldn't believe it either. My wife must have really had me in a tizzy! :help: I have never done that before.

9. flyin929

flyin929 New Member

What is wrong with a LEO asking for POI ? ( Proof of Insurance) I wasn't aware that it is not required in the State of Georgia, to carry POI.
    I don't have a problem with anyone carrying a POI but having difficulty in finding it in their glovebox, I have a problem with someone driving without insurance. What's wrong with a check here and there?
    When I get hit by another driver I expect them to have the appropriate insurance, if they don't...who's going to pay? ME. I'm not writing this without any experience to back it up.
    Not requiring POI is the way of skirting the Illegal immigration problem.
    Bob

10. GeorgiaGlocker

Bob,

Officers can very easily run your tag now to obtain the information on whether you have current insurance or not. This officer apparently wasn't up on the latest info pertaining to POI. You will also find on this forum that there are many officers that are not up to par on the laws when it comes to your gun rights as well. I have been through many DL checks in the past and when the law first when into effect (which I wasn't aware of at the time) I would have my DL & POI ready for the officer. The LEO told me that POI wasn't necessary anymore. When I asked why, he informed me of the new law. Perhaps this guy was just pulling my chain. I don't know. But the other officer made up for it.

11. flyin929

flyin929 New Member

"Officers can very easily run your tag now to obtain the information on whether you have current insurance or not."

I was not aware that they had the ability to do that.
    That is why I like this site, I learn something new everyday! :D
    Ever seen a 1971 Pymouth Barracuda convertible? I used to have one...lol, seems a Mexican citizen didn't like the idea of having insurance and cared even less about the rules of the road.
    Just an issue I am passionate about, no offense intended.
    Bob

12. Foul

Foul Guest

Why be polite about it?

:p

13. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Oh, they do. In GA, your insurance company is REQUIRED to report your insurance information to the DMV.

I can assure you that when your tag is run that your insurance information shows up... as well as your drivers licence information, including height, weight, restrictions, whether or not you have a CDL, whether you have any outstanding warrants, whether or not you should be approached with caution due to a previous conviction of obstruction of justice or crime against an officer... etc.... and, if you have a non-res CCW license in another state that DOES report that info to their own DMV... GA likely has that as well and it will show when they run your tag. One potential drawback to having other CCW's...

My girlfriend is a cop.

You don't need POI. Unless you get in an accident. If you don't have it you get cited... at least in Dekalb.

And yes, it seems that overall they have close to no idea what the CCW rules are in GA. Not because they are ignorant to it, but because they just don't deal with CCW issues very often... by and large we are law abiding... you all know that... so, when it comes to assault and charges like that, they know them forward and backwards, but openly carrying your pistol or whatever will likely result in a bit of time while they look up the law in their car or call a sergeant.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Well, nothing, so long as he does not expect me to give it to him! :D

DELETED OUT OF DATE INFO CORRECTED TO CURRENT PROCEDURE BELOW BY JRM

:oops:

15. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

There is not a direct correlation between DLs and insurance (that must have been the law before my time in GA, MP). There is a correlation between tag numbers/VINs and insurance. There are multiple crimes in GA regarding driving without insurance. There is driving without proof of insurance and there is driving without insurance. The latter is much more severe than the former. Proof of insurance is no longer an issue when you are driving a car that is actually listed as a car insured in the records of your insurance company (because the insurance companies report the information to the state and it is readily available to LEOs during traffic stops). For these cars, you don't really have to have anything because the "system" provides your proof. On the other hand, if you are driving a car that is not specifically listed in the records of your insurance company (e.g., a new car that you have not yet reported to your company but for which your policy covers), you may wish to have something like an insurance card handy.

The less severe crime, driving without proof of insurance, is more or less a strict liability crime, in that the driver of a car is strictly liable for that car being insured. If you borrow your friend's car, and unbeknowngst to you it is uninsured, you can be convicted of driving without proof of insurance.

The more severe crime, driving without insurance, is a specific intent crime, meaning that you know you are driving a car without insurance. In order to be convicted, the state must prove you knew you were driving an uninsured car.

16. GeorgiaGlocker

Just an issue I am passionate about, no offense intended. Bob

None taken.