"I want Jesus"... Tasered... You're with Jesus!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Purge, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Purge

Purge New Member

Illinois Teen Shouting for Jesus Dies When Police Taser Him

JERSEYVILLE, Ill. — Authorities are investigating the death of a 17-year-old boy who died after officers in this St. Louis-area community shot him twice with a stun gun while he carried a Bible and cordless telephone, shouting "I want Jesus."

He threatened them with a Bible... It is a two edged sword.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

When Tasers first became popular, they were sold to the public on the concept that they were a "less lethal alternative" to simply shooting somebody.

Now, they are tools of compliance.

"Do what I say," shouts the officer.

No? Zap!

Don't like the driver at the traffic stop yelling at you? Hey, no problem! Zap him, just like the LEO down in Newnan. Then turn over "edited" tapes for his prosecution. (Hey, three different versions of the same tape, cool!)

We have also seen the cases where they are used on elementary school girls.

This has gotten out of hand.

While I recognize that force needs to be used to gain compliance (oh, boy, do I ever), I think the Taser is obviously overused.

The courts disagree with me.

Draper v. Reynolds, 278 Ga.App. 401, 629 S.E.2d 476 (2006).

I agree with the Court of Appeals. I would not have reached the same result as the federal court, either.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Newnan Wins Lawsuit

I thought it was all over a long time ago, but apparently not.

4. Malum Prohibitum

5. Malum Prohibitum

Somebody needs to put it up on Youtube.

6. phaed

phaed New Member

misleading. doesn't say the tasers are what killed him. maybe he died of a drug overdose.

even so, multiple tasers should probably not be used on one person. the current is more likely to flow around the heart when shot from a single direction. if you get one hit in front, and another on the opposite side while both sending current, they could pass through the cns and pass the 75 mA limit.