Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Illinois Teen Shouting for Jesus Dies When Police Taser Him

JERSEYVILLE, Ill. â€" Authorities are investigating the death of a 17-year-old boy who died after officers in this St. Louis-area community shot him twice with a stun gun while he carried a Bible and cordless telephone, shouting "I want Jesus."

He threatened them with a Bible... It is a two edged sword.

·
69,318 Posts
When Tasers first became popular, they were sold to the public on the concept that they were a "less lethal alternative" to simply shooting somebody.

Now, they are tools of compliance.

"Do what I say," shouts the officer.

No? Zap!

Don't like the driver at the traffic stop yelling at you? Hey, no problem! Zap him, just like the LEO down in Newnan. Then turn over "edited" tapes for his prosecution. (Hey, three different versions of the same tape, cool!)

We have also seen the cases where they are used on elementary school girls.

This has gotten out of hand.

While I recognize that force needs to be used to gain compliance (oh, boy, do I ever), I think the Taser is obviously overused.

The courts disagree with me.

"In the circumstances of this case, Reynolds's use of the taser gun to effectuate the arrest of Draper was reasonably proportionate to the difficult, tense and uncertain situation that Reynolds faced in this traffic stop, and did not constitute excessive force.†(Punctuation and footnotes omitted.) Draper v. Reynolds, 369 F.3d 1270, 1276-1278 (11th Cir.2004).FN1

FN1. Reynolds' traffic stop of Draper's tractor-trailer truck was captured in a videotape, taken from the police camera of Reynolds' patrol car. Having reviewed the videotape, we cannot say whether we would have necessarily reached the same conclusion as the federal court.
Draper v. Reynolds, 278 Ga.App. 401, 629 S.E.2d 476 (2006).

I agree with the Court of Appeals. I would not have reached the same result as the federal court, either.

·
69,318 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
When Tasers first became popular, they were sold to the public on the concept that they were a "less lethal alternative" to simply shooting somebody.

Now, they are tools of compliance.

"Do what I say," shouts the officer.

No? Zap!

Don't like the driver at the traffic stop yelling at you? Hey, no problem! Zap him, just like the LEO down in Newnan. Then turn over "edited" tapes for his prosecution. (Hey, three different versions of the same tape, cool!)

We have also seen the cases where they are used on elementary school girls.

This has gotten out of hand.

While I recognize that force needs to be used to gain compliance (oh, boy, do I ever), I think the Taser is obviously overused.

The courts disagree with me.

"In the circumstances of this case, Reynolds's use of the taser gun to effectuate the arrest of Draper was reasonably proportionate to the difficult, tense and uncertain situation that Reynolds faced in this traffic stop, and did not constitute excessive force.†(Punctuation and footnotes omitted.) Draper v. Reynolds, 369 F.3d 1270, 1276-1278 (11th Cir.2004).FN1

FN1. Reynolds' traffic stop of Draper's tractor-trailer truck was captured in a videotape, taken from the police camera of Reynolds' patrol car. Having reviewed the videotape, we cannot say whether we would have necessarily reached the same conclusion as the federal court.
Draper v. Reynolds, 278 Ga.App. 401, 629 S.E.2d 476 (2006).

I agree with the Court of Appeals. I would not have reached the same result as the federal court, either.
Newnan Wins Lawsuit

I thought it was all over a long time ago, but apparently not.

·
69,318 Posts
The patrol cam of the incident is now used during taser training as a resource for officers, according to Yeager. Officers now take additional precautions before using a taser. They are instructed to command the subject to obey instructions, lay soft hands on them first, back up and re-command while warning the subject that they have a taser and will use it, place the red aiming light on them, give a final warning then deploy the weapon. Of course, all bets are off if the subject puts them in a threatening situation or the perpetrator is attempting to flee from police.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
misleading. doesn't say the tasers are what killed him. maybe he died of a drug overdose.

even so, multiple tasers should probably not be used on one person. the current is more likely to flow around the heart when shot from a single direction. if you get one hit in front, and another on the opposite side while both sending current, they could pass through the cns and pass the 75 mA limit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts