Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
3,441 Posts
How close can one get to something 2000 degrees? There had to be a lot of radiant heat from something that hot. I’ve been around brush fires that was intolerable to stand 10 yards from and that was level and not above.

· Registered
11,654 Posts
How close can one get to something 2000 degrees? There had to be a lot of radiant heat from something that hot. I’ve been around brush fires that was intolerable to stand 10 yards from and that was level and not above.
Sometimes, I can be 91.839 million miles away and still be uncomfortably hot.

· Registered
3,606 Posts
I used to work in a Steel mill over in Alabama many years ago. Some of that stuff sticks with you. Our reheat furnace would heat steel slabs to about 1850 F. That is where most steel loses 60% of its structural integrity and is suitable for hot rolling. After I was there for a while, they added a melt shop which melted scrap (Steel is the mist recycled material in North America) to produce more slabs. The end product was hot rolled coils of steel - 20-40 tons each. Liquid steel was tapped from the furnaces into the ladles at about 2400 F. You can get within about twice arm's reach if you are wearing proper protective gear. Several jobs involve reaching out with tools to grab and change nozzles or throw bags of alloying compounds into the ladles or take samples (again with tools). As far as feeling the heat, we had an elevated control pulpit with double-paned glass about 30 feet up the side of the building and around 50 feet from the rolling line. You could easily feel the heat coming off the slab as it was worked back and forth, but it wasn't uncomfortable.

· Man of Myth and Legend
19,656 Posts
Dayum, all that heat must be causing global warming.

Nemo

Reactions: mountainman444

· Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,944 Posts
Two thoughts:

(1) I wonder if this ever guy played "the floor is lava" game when he was a kid.

And

(2) If pharmaceutical companies shut off states' access to drugs that can be used for lethal injection executions,

I see another option on the horizon at the legislature. They should go ahead and pass a bill making this an authorized method of imposing the death sentence.

· Man of Myth and Legend
19,656 Posts
Is Calcium Carbonate a good flux?

Nemo

· Super Moderator
74,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have to wonder what it was like. They say "instant" but there has to be that instant . . . while you know it and feel it and . . .

· Registered
10,275 Posts
You have to wonder what it was like. They say "instant" but there has to be that instant . . . while you know it and feel it and . . .
I looked at the math briefly earlier. There’s something like a minimum of 500kW/sq meter (or 1.7M BTU per square meter) being radiated at the surface if it’s molten. That neglects all the reflected heat from the crucible walls too. I’d just hope my brain got to 105F or 107F and I passed out before I realized anything was on fire.

· Super Moderator
74,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, he fell in. I mean, he knows he is slipping or something, and he knows he is falling, and he was probably wearing protective gear . . .

I won't pretend to know what actually happens, but there has to be some painful and horrifying time there. It's not like being burned at the take for criticizing King James's church's practice of baptizing infants, burning from the feet first, but there still has to be a moment or two in there . . .

· Super Moderator
74,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Edward Wightman, in case anybody was wondering about the historical reference. He was actually burned at the stake twice as the pain the first time made him recant as he was burning, so they took him down, "well scorched," the historical source I read says. He tried to recant the second time, but the Sheriff was having none of it, as he did not want the expense of keeping him in jail again, "Let him burn."

Just a little King James history for all the King James Version only folks out there. He did have a number of obviously heretical views, but one of the indictments against him was that "the baptizing of infants is an abominable custom" and that baptism should be administered "only to those with sufficient age and understanding" (actually a separate charge).

Ah! Hey, Wikipedia has an entry on him, and it includes the "well scorched" line. I changed some things to quotes with respect to his charges since they list them on Wikipedia, too. It's a pretty good entry.

From Wikipedia at the second burning at the stake:

[Wightman] was carried again to the stake where feeling the heat of the fire again would have recanted, but for all his crying the sheriff told him he should cost him no more and commanded ******* to be set to him whence roaring, he was burned to ashes​

· Super Moderator
74,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What? That censored word was actually about pieces of wood, not an anti-homosexual slur. When did GPDO's censor get so woke?

fa gg ots

The Sheriff ordered them to load them up to finish off poor Mr. Wightman who was crying out again that he would recant.

It is a reference to a large piece of wood.

:rolleyes:

· Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,944 Posts
A fa go ott is a large piece of wood?
All these years I thought it was a collection of small pieces of wood that you might use as a torch or to start a fire (the next step above kindling).
Live and learn.

(The brits call a tobacco cigarette a fa**ot.)

· Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,811 Posts
All these years I thought it was a collection of small pieces of wood that you might use as a torch or to start a fire (the next step above kindling).
Live and learn.

You beat me to it.

· Man of Myth and Legend
19,656 Posts
A wiki link would be good. Reading the entry would be fun.

Nemo

· Super Moderator
74,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Live and learn.

You beat me to it.
You are correct on both counts.

A wiki link would be good. Reading the entry would be fun.

Nemo

Walt Whitman is a descendant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts