I think I got to the bottom of Barrow County's delay...

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Blackadder, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

I am a Barrow County resident (originally from Madison County, thank God) who submitted an application for a CCW permit 4 months ago (1st of Aug.).

The probate court told me that it could be as much as SIX MONTHS before they receive background checks that will allow them to issue my permit. The sherrif's office also told me that the GBI has a backlog of 5 months for processing fingerprints.

Well, I got the Sherriff's office to provide me a ORI # (whatever the hell that is) so I could call the GBI and check on progress, or lack thereof, for myself.

A very nice lady at the GBI told me that my Background check had processed on Friday and was being returned to Barrow County. She also told me that there is NO 5 month delay, and that all the submittals from September were completed over a week ago.

That means that my fingerprints were not submitted until October.

Glad to know how efficiently my tax dollars are being implemented

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

ORI means originating agency identification. https://online.dds.ga.gov/gecps/ncic_ori.aspx

I think it has been established time and again that the "5 months at GBI" statement is a lie that is convenient because most people will not check up on it.

With that having been said, I suggest you click on the link and then read everything linked therein pertaining to the lawsuit on the 60 day issue. You might find it entertaining reading. All of the pertinent pleadings are provided in a case that is currently pending on appeal in the Georgia Court of Appeals.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yea, I have been looking into this for a while now. It is usually said the GBI has a backlog.

I knew something was wierd after being told by people that applied at virtually the same date in different counties both being ink printed, one would get their permit on time and the other would be told it was a 4-5 month backlog at the GBI.

So I asked the GBI various questions and just to be sure they were not lying to me. I even submitted an Open Records Act request to view their time to process log. On the phone and in the logs it showed the longest delay for ink prints was 4 weeks and 30 days respectively, for the past year. After it was known that it was not the FBI or the GBI that was causing all the delays, the focus then went to the locals.

If you read the legal briefs, from the second link, that Coweta's probate did not follow the law regarding how background checks were supposed to be done (they say it is to make things go quicker) and that the court took an extra 2 weeks after the background check came back clean was because they were busy doing other things.

They say in the court documents that they ignore the law and do most of the work themselves to make the process go faster, but then they go on to say they are too busy with other work to bother with processing the license within the legal time limit. :roll:

4. Malum Prohibitum

I am also seeing a practice of "batching." That is, after the fingerprint cards are ready to send, they wait until they feel they have anough cards to justify actually sending them off to the GBI. You might be the lucky one that is the last one to go into a batch, and thus your cards will be sent off rather quickly, or you could be the unlucky first one to go into a pile and thus have to wait until enough of them pile up that somebody will bother to send them off.

You may have been one of the unlucky first ones. Nobody wanted to send them off when there were not very many, and it took from August to October for the pile to be big enough that somebody got off their bottom and mailed them off . . .

So, while GS1 has described a delay after the background check returns, I have described a delay before they are even sent off.

And all of this ignores the fact that the law requires an instant background check at the time you are fingerprinted, using NICS, the same system that is used when one purchases a firearm.

I wonder if anyone has ever passed the NICS check and then been disqualified because the fingerprint based check shows that the applicant is really Osama Bin Laden simply using the false i.d. of Black Adder to get a firearms license . . .

Any ideas on how we might find out this information?

:idea:

Some of you will recall that this is what is at issue in the 60 day lawsuit. The only real concern raised in defense of waiting beyond 60 days is that the fingerprint based check might show that the applicant is not whom he purports to be, a fact that would be revealed when the fingerprints show him to be someone else.

Has this ever happened?

5. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Open Records request to every county?

6. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

Here's an update:

I e-mailed my state representative about an "excessive delay in conflict with State law", citing average return times of 7-60 days from other counties as evidence of delinquency in our own county.

I am sure he acted on my behalf as I included my mobile # on my e-mail and got a phone call this afternoon from the probate court saying my permit was being issued today.

I'm just one Govt. agency away (post office) from 'official' partial-recognition of the freedom I have been constitutionally granted in the first place.

118 days....

7. Malum Prohibitum

:woohoo:

Congratulations! Way to stick up for yourself. Takes a little effort, doesn't it? :wink:

8. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

Thanks. And yes, it was quite a bit more effort than I had counted on. Considering the time it took to get this situation resolved, my permit has cost me much more than the $49 I paid back in August.

You know, it's a damn shame that you are made to feel like a criminal when you are investing time and money to ensure you are complying with the law.

9. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Woot! Congrats! :D

I know a lot of us here have had to go above and beyond to get our permits. Maybe as a result of your action the next guy who applies after you will get his in less time. I like to think that my little episode with the probate helped out somehow as well. I doubt that calls from the Senators office would cause them to slow down even further! Good job!

10. dmx10101

dmx10101 New Member

Well reading this thread really reassures me :roll: considering I'm in Winder/Barrow. I'm planning on going Monday to apply for mine, so we'll see..

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

Got it on Saturday.

Took my G29 Christmas shopping and stopped by the Varsity to get a celebratory chili dog afterwards.