Featured I Switched to Metal Ammo Cans and Re-labeled Them

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by rjinga, Nov 5, 2017.

1. 3/325 AIR

3/325 AIR Member

Academy Sports has a deal going on, in store and on line....a 50 cal & a 7.62 ammo can (virgin) for $29.99.

2. 3/325 AIR

3/325 AIR Member

Stopped by Academy on the way home from work. I didn't see any of the 7.62 ammo cans. Must be an online only deal.

Motopackin likes this.

3. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

I have trouble getting labels to stick long term. Now I'm using clear package tape over the labels.

4. rjinga

rjinga Member

Most recent set-up:

[​IMG]

Top shelf, left to right: If I only have time to grab one thing, the .50 cal can has one 4-pouch bandolier with four G3 mags loaded with 80 rounds of 7.62x51 ammo for my PTR 91, one 2-magazine belt pouch loaded with 30 rounds of 9mm (in two mags) for my Sig P229, and 120 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips for my SKS (the stripper clips will either go in a bandolier or 3-clip belt pouches, depending on what Santa brings me). The first plastic box is for .308 boxed ammo (mostly hunting rounds that were given to me). The second plastic box is for empty G3 magazines. The last plastic box is a catch-all.

Middle shelf, left to right: The 1st two .30 cal cans are labelled for 7.62x51 boxed ammunition. Depending on how the ammo is packaged, I can get about 120 to 320 rounds in each can. If I don't get ammo for X-mas, I'll order more right after. The third .30 cal can contains 7.62x39 boxed ammunition. When it's full it holds 480 rounds. The last two .30 cal cans contain 400 rounds each of 7.62x39 ammo on stripper clips.

Bottom shelf, left to right: The three .50 cal cans each hold three 4-pouch bandoliers, so that's 12 magazines with 240 rounds of 7.62x51 ammunition per can. The last .30 cal can is for boxed 9mm ammunition. It currently has 120 rounds.

Andrew.Anderson likes this.
  5. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

So, what is the issue with the plastic cans?

6. rjinga

rjinga Member

From what I've read and seen in videos, they aren't air and water tight. Also, I'm concerned about how durable the handle, latch, and hinges would be.

7. Wheedle

Wheedle Active Member

Ok. That makes sense. I only keep a few loaded mags and ammo I intend to shoot soon in plastic cans.

8. etbob9

etbob9 Old Member

Just looking at the picture, I would be kinda worried about the total weight on the floor with the
    piano and chest full of gold behind the ammo cans! As far as labels go, Avery used to have
    precut label paper and software that I used at work, but I retired in 2000 so I really don’t keep
    up with what is available now. BassPro has some good sales on steel ammo cans sometimes. ☃️

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
  9. rjinga

rjinga Member

It's the ground floor and we're on a slab, so... :p

etbob9 likes this.
  10. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

The shelving I mentioned in post #15 originally was in a large 2nd floor walk-in closet in my old FL home. Never had any problems with it (for years) and it was full of ammo containers. If there are structural concerns, you could always place the shelving on a sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood to spread the downward force over a larger area.

11. BriKar

BriKar New Member

I use those free fridge magnets and spray paint over the adds. Color coded, and easily removed.

Andrew.Anderson and rjinga like this.
  12. Andrew.Anderson

Andrew.Anderson Husband, Father, Soldier

Sportsman's Guide has Ammo Cans on sale fro buy one get one free. They have the 30 cal ones also. code at checkout is: SG3994