I saw this and immediately thought of Wiley...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Macktee, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

As he's one of the most M1911 guys I know!

Like the M2, the M1911 just keep going and going and going and going..........!

From Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEU%28SOC%29_pistol

Specifications

The MEU(SOC) pistol, officially designated Pistol, Caliber .45, MEU(SOC), single-action, semiautomatic handgun chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge. It is based on the original M1911 design by John Browning, and has been the standard-issue side arm for the Force Recon Element of the United States Marine Corps' Marine Expeditionary Units from 1985 to today. Its National Stock Number is 1005-01-370-7353.

Original pistols were hand-selected standard government issued Colt M1911A1's that were gutted, deburred, and prepared for additional use by the USMC Precision Weapon Section (PWS) in Quantico, VA.[1] They were then assembled with after-market grip safeties, a rounded hammer, ambidextrous thumb safeties, lighter triggers made by Videcki, improved high-visibility sights, accurized match-grade barrels made by Bar-Sto, Pachmayr rubber grips, front cocking-serrations, and improved stainless steel magazines made by Wilson Combat.[2][1][3]

A Marine operator may shoot as many as 80,000 rounds from this pistol during a training-cycle and subsequent deployment.[4] However, it is more common for a Marine to return the pistol to the PWS at Quantico for a rebuild after 10,000 rounds have been fired.[5] A rebuild entails discarding almost all of the gun's parts except for the frame, which prior to 2003 was a U.S. Government frame last manufactured in 1945.[4] The frame is inspected and reused again if it is still within military specifications.[4][5] There are frames in the USMC inventory that have had as many as 500,000 rounds fired through them.[4]

The Officer In Command of the Precision Weapons Shop in 2001, Chief Warrant Officer 5 Ken Davis, stated that the M1911 is "the only pistol that can stand up to this use".[4]

History

In the late 1980s, USMC Colonel Robert Young laid out a series of specifications and improvements to make Browning's design ready for 21st century combat, many of which have been included in MEU(SOC) pistol designs. [6][1]

However, as the U.S. Marine Corps began its process of hand selecting members from its Force Recon to be submitted to USSOCOM as Marine Corps Special Operations Command, Detachment One (MCSOCOM Det-1), the selection of a .45 ACP M1911A1-based pistol meant roughly 150 units would be needed, quicker than the PWS could produce as they were already backlogged with producing DMRs, USMC SAM-Rs, and updating M40A1s to M40A3s, so DET-1 began the search for COTS (commercial off-the-shelf) surrogates to use.[2]

Discovering that the Los Angeles Police Department was well pleased with their special Kimber-made M1911 pistols, a single source request was issued to Kimber Manufacturing for a similarly built pistol, despite the imminent release of their TLE/RLII models.[2] Kimber shortly began producing a limited number of what would be later termed the Interim Close Quarters Battle pistol (ICQB). Maintaining the simple recoil assembly, 5-inch barrel (though using a stainless steel match grade barrel), and internal extractor, the ICQB is not much different from Browning's original design.[5]

The final units as issued to MCSOCOM Det-1 are the Kimber ICQBs with SureFire Integrated Military Pistol Light (IMPL), Dawson Precision rail, Tritium Novak LoMount sights replaced the originals made in-house by the Marines, Gemtech TRL Tactical Retention Lanyards based upon the jury-rigged telephone cord versions, modified Safariland 6004 holsters, Simonich G-10 Gunner Grips manufactured by Simonich Knives and Strider Knives replaced the original Pachmayr rubber grips, and Wilson Combat's '47D' 8-round magazines.[2][4]

References

1. ^ a b c Clancy, Tom (1996). Marine: A Guided Tour of a Marine Expeditionary Unit (in English). Berkeley, California: Berkeley Trade, 64,79-80. ISBN 978-0425154540.
    2. ^ a b c d Rogers, Patrick A.(2003)"Marines New SOCOM Pistol", SWAT Magazine, December 2003, 52-57
    3. ^ Oliva, Mark. "Some MEU's Still Carry Proven M1911 .45's", Stars and Stripes European and Pacific Edition, Stars and Stripes, 08/05/2002. Retrieved on 03/04/2007. (English)
    4. ^ a b c d e f Rogers, Patrick A (05/01/2001), "Strong Men Armed: The Marine Corps 1st Force Reconnaissance Company Part III Section 2", The Accurate Rifle 4 (4): 47, DOI:03/04/2007, <http>
    5. ^ a b c Brown, R.E. (07/01/2004), "MEU 1911 .45: the Legend Lives in the Hands of Today's Marines", American Handgunner (no. July/August 2004), DOI:03/04/2007, <http>
    6. ^ Johnston, Gary Paul.(2004)"One Good Pistol", Soldier of Fortune Magazine, December 2004, 62-67

:pistol:

2. Wiley

Wiley Guest

Get in line, Son. Us OF's were here first. (Not that I would ever call Macktee an OF.)

3. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I will !!!

:oldtimer: :oldtimer: :oldtimer: :oldtimer: :oldtimer: :oldtimer:

Actually, I'll call you both OF's.

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

oOo...capital S?!?

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

That's because Wiley is a gentleman and youse adam5 is just an :censored: .

Whateberdahelldatis...! :neener: And you're no kid yourself!!! :oldtimer:

But, I have my suspicions!

:smokin:

6. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Careful, Macktee. Adam's husband might beat you up!

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I had my Garand rebuilt by the match armorors at Quantico. Cost me a case of beer and the cost of parts and materials used. What it got me is the sweetest shooting M1 you'll ever find!

8. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Budder and I met at Bullseye on Sunday.

Adam5 joined us briefly.

We asked him to stay and shoot, but he couldn't. "I have a roast in the oven. I have laundry to do. I have ironing to finish. I still haven't done all the vacuuming." And a few more I can't remember...

Budder asked him, "What's your husband doing?"

Before adam could answer, I said "Playing golf...... with the guys!"

I told this story to my wife and before I got to budder's comment, she said, "What a wuss! MY husband wouldn't put up with that crap. I'd kick his ass out if he did!!!"

I love that woman... :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

9. publius

publius Guest

Man its nice knowing the right people . . .